New sensor cleaner

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

New sensor cleaner

Postby Matt. K on Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:45 pm

I guess it would do the job but I think it might be a tad of overkill!
Seriously, my vegie garden is over producing so I got this little baby to preserve, "can" the excess produce. It works like a dream!

Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Re: New sensor cleaner

Postby ozimax on Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:29 pm

I can think of some other things that would benefit a good cleaning in this thing too.

On a serious note, I think it's time to clean my XT1 sensor. Matt you're the sensor cleaning king. Any tips?
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby Remorhaz on Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:05 am

ozimax wrote:On a serious note, I think it's time to clean my XT1 sensor. Any tips?

Don't use steel wool :)
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Postby ozimax on Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:30 am

Remorhaz wrote:
ozimax wrote:On a serious note, I think it's time to clean my XT1 sensor. Any tips?

Don't use steel wool :)

I was thinking along the lines of Palmolive dish washing liquid. In the dishwasher.
ozimax

Postby Matt. K on Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:26 pm

If you search the forum there should be heaps of posts on how to clean your sensor. I'm guessing that you have visible dust spots on your sensor? If you are not sure then go outside and shoot a blue sky at F16 with a wide angle lens. You will probably have to set the focus to manual. Enlarge the image on your computer and boost the contrast fairly high. See dust spots?
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby ozimax on Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:55 pm

Matt. K wrote:If you search the forum there should be heaps of posts on how to clean your sensor. I'm guessing that you have visible dust spots on your sensor? If you are not sure then go outside and shoot a blue sky at F16 with a wide angle lens. You will probably have to set the focus to manual. Enlarge the image on your computer and boost the contrast fairly high. See dust spots?

Thanks Matt. Yes, I have cleaned sensors before, being Nikons and Canons. I was wondering if there is any difference with a Fuji X trans sensor? I do know that different sensors require different liquids etc. I will continue to investigate.
ozimax

Postby aim54x on Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:50 am

ozimax wrote:
Matt. K wrote:If you search the forum there should be heaps of posts on how to clean your sensor. I'm guessing that you have visible dust spots on your sensor? If you are not sure then go outside and shoot a blue sky at F16 with a wide angle lens. You will probably have to set the focus to manual. Enlarge the image on your computer and boost the contrast fairly high. See dust spots?

Thanks Matt. Yes, I have cleaned sensors before, being Nikons and Canons. I was wondering if there is any difference with a Fuji X trans sensor? I do know that different sensors require different liquids etc. I will continue to investigate.

It shouldnt, if in doubt douse it in acetone
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Matt. K on Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:36 pm

Ozi
I'm pretty sure that just about all sensors can be cleaned with Eclipse fluid, (Methanol). I think if you've cleaned Nikon and Canon sensors then the Fuji will be a cinch. Oddly enough, I haven't had to clean my XPRO yet. Maybe I should check it out.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby aim54x on Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:17 pm

Matt. K wrote:Ozi
I'm pretty sure that just about all sensors can be cleaned with Eclipse fluid, (Methanol). I think if you've cleaned Nikon and Canon sensors then the Fuji will be a cinch. Oddly enough, I haven't had to clean my XPRO yet. Maybe I should check it out.

I would agree with Matt on this one. Eclipse or those Visible Dust swabs (that come with fluid).
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby ozimax on Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:17 pm

Matt. K wrote:Ozi

Thanks Matt, Cameron. Time to try.
ozimax

Postby petermmc on Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:45 pm

Hi viewers,

Hope you are all well and not taking life too seriously on this somewhat overcast and rainy day in the Gong.

Just on sensor cleaning. I recently purchased an 'eyelead' sensor cleaning kit. It consists of a plastic stick with an opaic gel rectangular cube on the end which is about 10mm x 15mm at the face. You stick the cube firmly on the sensor and it grabs all the dusty particles, once referred to as 'dust bunnies' on this very web site. You then put the cube firmly on the attached sticky papers and they stick to the paper and then you repeat the process. It is really not as complicated as my explanation but it works really well for dust particles...you know those ones that defy gravity, forced air and nasty looks. It is a bit pricey for such a simple item and I think I paid over $50 for mine. Unlike any kind of wet solution, it leaves no residue at all but I do think it is better for dust like particles rather than the baked on scum that my Nikons always suffer from.

So, if you are bored with life and start thinking about dust on your sensors, have a try of the eyelead sensor cleaning kit as it may be just the thing to keep you motivated.

petermc
Nikon & Olympus
petermmc

Postby Murray Foote on Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:04 pm

I always try to avoid baked on scum. They might have a go at you when you take their photo and throw your camera on the ground. My Nikons aren't suffering from baked on scum at the moment.
Murray Foote

Postby biggerry on Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:44 pm

interesting gadget Peter, i have not seen that before. However by the time you set it up with the mirror lock etc it would be more effective (time and end result) to use a wet solution ? I bought a bottle of that cleaning fluid and some paddles and pecpads and I have not ever needed to replenish them..
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Return to Equipment Reviews