Lens rubber deteriorating

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Lens rubber deteriorating

Postby zafra52 on Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:20 pm

I went to check my old D30 and I decided to change the lens for the Canon 17-55 and to my surprise my fingers got sticky on the focusing rubber ring. The pattern of the ring was clearly left in my hand and fingers. I had the camera in a bag inside an air tight plastic container. Anybody has any idea why after a few years the rubber began to disintegrate and can it be easily fixed?
zafra52

Re: Lens rubber deteriorating

Postby Matt. K on Sun Nov 16, 2014 3:56 pm

Inside an airtight plastic bag? Did you have some silica gel crystals inside the bag? If not then condensation is the likely culprit. There is also the danger of getting fungal growth inside the lens barrel on the glass elements. There is no problem with storing lenses inside a cupboard or sideboard but I would not use a plastic bag personally.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby aim54x on Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:37 pm

It happens, there are a large number of cameras that have rubber that deteriorates when stored for long periods of time (esp in bags). I have taken to keeping my F80 on the shelf permanently (to keep the sticky rubber at bay) and regularly rotate my lenses around as well as open up my Pelican case to allow a bit or humidity back into it (I have it set up with a dehumidifier inside). A camera technician that I know believes it is to do with storing the camera in conditions where the humidity is too low, so far so good though, no more sticky problems on the F80 (after I had the body panels replaced).
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby zafra52 on Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:07 pm

Thank you for your replies. Yes, I have some silica bags in the air-tight boxes. The camera bag, with the camera and lens) was inside a an air-tight plastic box. I put a couple of silica bags and also an old newspaper to absorbe humidity. My problem, I guess, is too many cameras and lenses and not enough time to take photos. Hopefully, it will all change when I retire. I am going to buy some cardboard boxes tomorrow from Officeworks and place the photographic equipment in them.
zafra52

Return to Equipment Reviews