Canberra Photographic Society

Items of local interest for those in the national capital.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Canberra Photographic Society

Postby Murray Foote on Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:53 pm

The Canberra Photographic Society has been around for over 60 years. We have a relatively small membership (usually 40 to 50) though many are quite active. We are dedicated to excellence in Photography and open to all. Throughout the year we have Competitions, Activity nights and excursions. I am Competition Director and Vice-President.

We kick off for this year next Tuesday 3rd February with a Competition night. The Competition is really at the heart of our functions – though we have Activities and Excursions as well. Some people get the wrong idea from the name “competition”. It is really a cooperative learning experience with the reality check of who can get it right (often quite a few people). We also get to hear the personal insights of an accomplished photographer and paradoxically, because every photographer has a different point of view, it leads you back to having to trust your own judgement. You can also submit entries if you want – every one can do that once before becoming a Member (though it's too late now for Projected Images for Tuesday, it's only the print competitions that you can turn up to on the night with entries).

If you want to come (to participate or just to check it out), I suggest you turn up after 7.30pm and before 8pm because otherwise after 8pm you have to read a notice at the door, press a button and talk your way in through a speakerphone (Griffin Centre security, not our idea).

The Society web site is at: http://www.canberra-photographic.org.au/

Regards,
Murray
Murray Foote

Re: Canberra Photographic Society

Postby Tiberius on Sun Feb 01, 2009 3:34 pm

I'm going to be in Canberra then, I'll pop over. Where abouts do you meet? (Please explain it for a peson who doesn't know Canberra at all!)

I'll send you a PM with my mobile number, please call me earlier on the Tuesday?
Tiberius

Postby Murray Foote on Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:52 pm

I replied to the PM. Just in case anyone wants to ask the same question, the Griffin Centre address is: 20 Genge St Canberra City ACT 2601

and the URL for a map is : http://www.whereis.com/ACT/Canberra-Cit ... ssion=MTU=

Regards,
Murray
Murray Foote

Postby Tiberius on Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:58 pm

Thanks for having me there, I had a wonderful time!

Anyone else in Canberra, drop in, they're a great bunch of people.
Tiberius

Postby Murray Foote on Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:06 pm

Thanks very much for the feedback, Paul.
Murray Foote

Postby Murray Foote on Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:59 pm

The first meeting of the Canberra Photographic Society for 2011 is the Competition night on Tuesday 1st February, Room 6, 1st floor, Griffin Centre, Civic. Kick-off is 7.30pm, best to be there a bit earlier. Non-members can also enter the competition on one occasion without being members. This would have to be prints because the projected image entries closed last Tuesday. Maximum 2 entries in total.

There is a competition on the first Tuesday of every month except January. (Usually there is a set topic and sometimes a portfolio comp). We also have group activities, presentations & excursions and we are looking to expand these this year as our membership seems to be expanding.

All welcome, whether to look or to participate. For more information see the website: http://www.canberra-photographic.org.au/
Murray Foote

Postby biggerry on Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:54 pm

Looks great Murray! The website and teh flickr following really show they have a great, active membership! Makes me want to live in Canberra :lol:

I like the calendar setup you have there, its really easy to see whats up and coming, looks like you had a good Exhibition last year also.

Top stuff.
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby Murray Foote on Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:12 am

Hi Gerry

Yes, new website as of last year, great improvement on the old one.

We're well served in Canberra, lots of different kinds of photographers and artists for judging or presentations. We also have lots of talented members so that no-one can have pretences of superiority; of course everyone can always learn.

The CPS has been around for 65 years and I attended my first meeting 37 years ago, though I didn't become active until about 1981.
Murray Foote

Postby surenj on Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:03 pm

Wow! :cheers: Great to see an active society. thos competitions are frequent indeed!

You have a very tidy setup indeed! :violin:
surenj

Postby Murray Foote on Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:12 pm

These are the two images I have entered for tomorrow's competition:

Parris McLeod at Cloud Studios "Private Party", Wyong

After the deluge...
Last edited by Murray Foote on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Murray Foote

Postby Peanut on Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:37 pm

Looks interesting... I'll come check it out if I can bear this heat.
Peanut

Postby biggerry on Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:10 pm

Murray Foote wrote:These are the two images I have entered for tomorrow's competition:

both quite complex shots (compositionally) Murray, makes me look at them much more than I would other images. I think thats a good thing!

Good luck.
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby Murray Foote on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:37 am

The judge wasn't so impressed with the soggy caravan but I did very well with the pianist. He also suggested an improvement I hadn't thought of looking for:

Murray Foote

Postby Peanut on Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:41 am

Murray Foote wrote:The judge wasn't so impressed with the soggy caravan but I did very well with the pianist. He also suggested an improvement I hadn't thought of looking for

I think highlighting the back of his hair draws attention away from the intense connection between the face and the keys, diluting the impact a little... I like the original more. The highlighted hair is a dead end for the gaze to wander to.
Peanut

Postby Murray Foote on Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:57 pm

I think you're right. And now, no matter how much I scale it back, I don't find the extra light on the back of the head helps.
Murray Foote

Return to Canberra