Cutom Framing - DIY

Those nice to know things about your DSLR will be found here. How to do this, and why you probably should not do that.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Postby birddog114 on Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:38 pm

IMHO, few members on this board has some excellent skills, and they want to help you all with few DIY projects, Photoshop, experiment with the flashes as SB800/ SB600, but it seems to me they withdrew or hesitate to re-introduce their offers due to the laidback or not good responding.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby pippin88 on Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:27 pm

Bump on this.

I think Sheepie might be back?
- Nick
Gallery
pippin88

Postby PiroStitch on Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:38 pm

You can do what I did and cheat ;)

Go to el-cheapo places like Warehouse or whatever you have up north ;) and buy the framed large prints. Check the back of it tho to make sure you can actually take the backing off.

The prints are usually glued down to the backing board, but it's fairly cheap stuff so just rip it off. If your pic doesn't fill up the entire frame, go to an art and craft shop to get some mountboard and cut the mount board to size.

Measure the pic on the mount board and reduce that size by about 5mm or 10mm on each side, so that when you stick it down, the mount board creates a bit of a border as well around your pic.

Stick the pic to the mount board and pop it into the frame. Voila :)

I know this is dodgy and a fair bit on the labourious side of things + the fact that you may not get the exact frame and style you want, but if you just want to try it out, personally it's fairly easy to do.

I just framed a 50cmx75cm (20x30) photo this way by using a 60cm x 90cm frame. In total the cost was around $60 inc. photo printing, mountboard and the frame. Of course this doesn't take into consideration the time lost to looking for the frame + labour.
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby birddog114 on Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:04 pm

PiroStitch wrote:You can do what I did and cheat ;)

Go to el-cheapo places like Warehouse or whatever you have up north ;) and buy the framed large prints. Check the back of it tho to make sure you can actually take the backing off.

The prints are usually glued down to the backing board, but it's fairly cheap stuff so just rip it off. If your pic doesn't fill up the entire frame, go to an art and craft shop to get some mountboard and cut the mount board to size.

Measure the pic on the mount board and reduce that size by about 5mm or 10mm on each side, so that when you stick it down, the mount board creates a bit of a border as well around your pic.

Stick the pic to the mount board and pop it into the frame. Voila :)

I know this is dodgy and a fair bit on the labourious side of things + the fact that you may not get the exact frame and style you want, but if you just want to try it out, personally it's fairly easy to do.

I just framed a 50cmx75cm (20x30) photo this way by using a 60cm x 90cm frame. In total the cost was around $60 inc. photo printing, mountboard and the frame. Of course this doesn't take into consideration the time lost to looking for the frame + labour.

That's a good option!
But, all my displayed photos + paintings (Over 60, few of them in 1.5m x 2.8m) at my place done by one of the Custom made frame factory not far from my place, average of the above mentioned size 60cm x 90 cm is around $60.00, they have million of borders in all styles, colours, we just picked and matching with our styles, colour of the photos and they frame for us, in standard or non reflective glass.

Members who came here last week all saw three new frames same as series of displayed photos and painting inside the house.

I recently got one pano from sheepie done in pano same as given to Poon one which he brought back to HKG last month.

They're damm cheap! so I didn't bother to find out what can I do in DIY, actually I think will more expensive by the way I am doing than just brimg straight to them.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby PiroStitch on Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:08 pm

Birddog, if I had your option I'd definitely take it. Unfortunately, Im still researching for someone who can do it for a competitive price :)
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby pippin88 on Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:35 pm

Birddy - Can you give me the details of that place please?

So you got that large prints framed for $60? Incredible! No point DIY at that price. Was that for a mounted print, or was that hand them a photo and get it returned framed all for that price?

Could you take a picture of an example and post it up please? Would be greatly appreciated.
Last edited by pippin88 on Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Nick
Gallery
pippin88

Postby birddog114 on Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:40 pm

pippin88 wrote:Birddy - Can you give me the details of that place please?

So you got that large prints framed for $60? Incredible!

Could you take a picture of an example and post it up please? Would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have their details handy, but will show you next time you come to the mini meet.

No, the framing of pano is more expensive than that, $60.00 as what I referred to Pirostich mention about 60 cm x 90cm and depends on what style and type of frame, you need to come and see then you can make up your mind, posting a picture here doesn't make justice.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby pippin88 on Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:41 pm

Birddog114 wrote:I don't have their details handy, but will show you next time you come to the mini meet.

No, the framing of pano is more expensive than that, $60.00 as what I referred to Pirostich mention about 60 cm x 90cm and depends on what style and type of frame, you need to come and see then you can make up your mind, posting a picture here doesn't make justice.

Ok, thanks.

Will try to attend a mini meet soon.
- Nick
Gallery
pippin88

Postby sheepie on Thu Sep 29, 2005 6:52 pm

At the prices Birddog mentioned, you'd be hard pressed to beat that! If you still want to do it yourself then Frameco has good starter packs (what I've got). Also, am working on somewhere local which may be willing to help us out ;)
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby pippin88 on Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:01 pm

sheepie wrote:At the prices Birddog mentioned, you'd be hard pressed to beat that! If you still want to do it yourself then Frameco has good starter packs (what I've got). Also, am working on somewhere local which may be willing to help us out ;)

I might still get into mounting my own pictures up, as I have a few ideas for flogging mounted pictures, but that sort of price is hard to beat.

Probably cheaper again if you present them with mounted pictures.
- Nick
Gallery
pippin88

Postby birddog114 on Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:04 pm

pippin88 wrote:
Probably cheaper again if you present them with mounted pictures.

I don't think it's, and I don't mind to let them do everything for me.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby LostDingo on Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:12 pm

Personally, I would suggest when presenting to a framer to leave unmounted, let them help you in choosing a proper border size for your photo.
LostDingo

Postby birddog114 on Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:13 pm

LostDingo wrote:Personally, I would suggest when presenting to a framer to leave unmounted, let them help you in choosing a proper border size for your photo.

That what we want! :wink:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Matt. K on Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:30 pm

It takes a little practice until you get the skills required...but well within anyones capabilities. You need a matt cutter and the cheapest are the hand-held ones for around $50. ( I use a Dexter). They do take a little practice...it's the marking out and allowing for the bevel that can be a bit tricky. Museum grade matt board is VERY expensive...so you want to start off with something a little cheaper. Get books from the local library or search the web for tips. Sheepie is doing a good job and should be able to give a demo when he gets back. Once you have done 3 or 4 then you will be a satisfied master.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby sheepie on Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:39 pm

Matt. K wrote:Sheepie is doing a good job and should be able to give a demo when he gets back.

*** waves ***
I'm back! Was only gone for a longish weekend!

At some stage I'll bring the gear along to a mini-meet again. Only problem is they all seem to be on when I'm not in town at the moment!!!

I'll post my intention to bring the gear in the mini-meet thread so everyone knows :)
sheepie
Key Member

Postby stubbsy on Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:42 pm

sheepie wrote:At some stage I'll bring the gear along to a mini-meet again. Only problem is they all seem to be on when I'm not in town at the moment!!!

Slow learner Leon? :wink: When's the Christmas dinner?
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby sheepie on Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:23 pm

stubbsy wrote:
sheepie wrote:At some stage I'll bring the gear along to a mini-meet again. Only problem is they all seem to be on when I'm not in town at the moment!!!

Slow learner Leon? :wink: When's the Christmas dinner?

hrrmrmmm - I'm starting to wonder :cry:
sheepie
Key Member

Postby optogamut on Thu Apr 27, 2006 12:32 am

For those interested, check out your local evening college. My local one, Nepean Community College has a picture framing course I did a couple of years ago. You even get supervised while you frame a couple of your own picture during the course.
- Danny
D70, CP700, F80, FM, F, 50/1.8, 28-105,....

"Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety." -Plato
optogamut

Postby gecko on Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:20 pm

Browsing around and found this...

http://www.a1frames.com.au/index.asp

Could be interesting - I might go and check them out sometime soon.

Cheers
Gecko
Nikon D70, SB600, Benbo Trekker, LSII, KingPano and a lot to learn!
gecko

Postby birddog114 on Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:00 am

For Sydneysiders,
DIY is not very competitive, though, it's fun but if you find a good framing maker, you only pay from 50 - 110.00 for a nice frame with double mat layers and excellent frame.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby redline on Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:43 pm

we learn to do own our framing at school.
crescent matt boards can be obtained at wholesale prices ~6.50 per 32x40 sheet and we use kastor matt cutters. it takes me roughly 8-10 mins to measure and cut one board.
Life's pretty straight without drifting
http://www.puredrift.com
redline

Postby pippin88 on Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:27 pm

birddog114 wrote:For Sydneysiders,
DIY is not very competitive, though, it's fun but if you find a good framing maker, you only pay from 50 - 110.00 for a nice frame with double mat layers and excellent frame.

I was looking at doing them myself, but Birddy introduced me to a wholesale place.

Got them done (Frame assembled + mat and backing cut) for less than the materials cost if I did them from scratch.
- Nick
Gallery
pippin88

Postby Colcam on Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:39 pm

For those who wish to frame their own prints, there are a few places around that will do the job for a cheaper price of course, but try the actual frame moulding suppliers to the trade. They all have huge showrooms and almost all have what is called a Chop service. Name the dimensions and they will cut the mouldings to size with the very best gear. No waste either. Most can cut the matboards for you too if you wanted to avoid the local framing shop. Look up names like Marks & Co., Hughes Mouldings, Megawood, Larson-Juhl, Antons Mouldings, etc
I am a picture framer among other things and am happy to advise if questions are forthcoming.
The general procedure is to cut a matboard to fit the image (same source if you don't have a cutter) with the required amount of border around it. Add another layer if you wish with another colour to accent the image (the two mats are simply glued together with PVA if you don't have the trick stuff. Find a framing shop with a computer mat cuuter and he can do it in a flick of the eye. Hopefully cheaply.

Carefully roll the print onto a piece of self-adhesive foamcore backing board (same source as mouldings) cut to about 13mm bigger than the matboard using the matboard to locate it BEFORE removing the cover paper(cut gently around the print to just through the cover paper so that the print can be stuck down without exposing the adhesive around the outside of the print. This enables you to weight it down with books, etc., to finalise the adhesive if you don't have a vacuum press.
Then remove the outside piece of cover paper & stick the matboard down in place, trim the edges of the foamcore and whack it in a frame.

I say all of this with it clearly in my mind, but if I have not made it clear, please advise.

I am on the Sunshine Coast of Qld. & can do Special Prices for members if approached with a smile. :D :D
All the best
Col
Photography. The Art of Seeing, Not Just Looking
http://www.frozentime.com.au
Colcam

Postby Zeeke on Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:16 pm

Col, nice offer there mate.. and thanks for the tips.. i wanna start doing some framing.. doesnt look too hard..

a chop here.. a chop there.. bang it together with a hammer and a few screws... find some old glass... cheap stuff from the salvage places will do..

Matboard looks hard tho.. maybe i can steal a few realestate signs and cut them up.. just spraypaint them the colour i need

just kidding.. but looks like a fun and interesting hobby

Tim
D70 - D200/MBD200 Coming soon - Too Much Gear, Not Enough Talent

My Site: http://www.digitalstill.net
My Fishing Site: http://www.fishseq.com
Zeeke

Postby gecko on Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:43 pm

Thanks for the info Col
I did a framing course a long time ago and have forgotten the details.
I was browsing around at my workplace recently and found we have a mat cutter (we also have a programmable laser cutter, but I am pretty sure it won't cut beveled edges)
Might take you up on your special prices offer in the near future!

Cheers
Gecko
Nikon D70, SB600, Benbo Trekker, LSII, KingPano and a lot to learn!
gecko

Previous

Return to Tips and tricks