Bargains section and equipment purchasing

Forum rules and nettiquette, along with other items of general interest.

Important information about this forum is contained here, and members MUST familiarise themselves with the posts here, as well as what is contained within the FAQ.

Please do not complain if you ask a question regarding a topic covered here or in the FAQ and in response you get a rather brusque, obtuse or sarcastic response. We get sick and tired of answering the same questions, day in, day out, when the answers are clearly published, in plain view, and all that is required is for you to open your eyes and read them!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Postby MATT on Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:43 am

Thanks for the access, yes its a privilage worth earning . Thanks Birddog!!

What about people cross posting bargin stuff on other forums, I have seen it before mainly on OCA is this now stopped?

MATT
MATT

Postby birddog114 on Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:47 am

MATT wrote:What about people cross posting bargin stuff on other forums, I have seen it before mainly on OCA is this now stopped?
MATT

MATT,
I'm not in the OCA and have no clue about who and what, what post have you seen in the other side?
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby MATT on Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:05 am

Overclockers Australia (OCAU) website in ther photo section, discussion reguarding pricing and sujestions to come to the d70users and look around for good deals.

People would still need to come here and look around to find.And now have 30 posts( thats a great idea)

there was no links to you directly but your name at this forum was mention.

Just wanted make sure

MATT
MATT

Postby birddog114 on Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:06 am

MATT wrote:Overclockers Australia (OCAU) website in ther photo section, discussion reguarding pricing and sujestions to come to the d70users and look around for good deals.

People would still need to come here and look around to find.And now have 30 posts( thats a great idea)

there was no links to you directly but your name at this forum was mention.

Just wanted make sure

MATT

MATT,
Perhaps some of our members posted some Bargaining stuffs overthere.
I ave no ideas of it.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby skyva on Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:16 am

I agree that given the benefit of Birdogs generous offers, there should be some limitations. I would be willing to join for a fee as I am serious about increasing my knowledge and participattion in these forums. However, I am a lurker who likes to make sure I know a little of what I am talking about before posting. For example, I am a long way short of 30 posts at present, as I am a new user. I have taken a hundred shots or so (mostly in point and shoot mode) and have a few questions, but prefer to see whether others have asked the same question before posting a duplicate. I have seen lots of this on the dpreview forums, and it does get repetitive for the repliers, while provoking some blunt if not rude replies from "regulars". I hope this does not happen here.
I have lurked here for a month or so and picked up lots of tips. I would love to buy some cleaning equipment for a start, and after a short while, some lenses. I guess I can keep posting to get the numbers up, but what I like about this forum is the quality of the posts, rather than the quantity.
Perhaps some flexiinilty could be added. I would love to see a Melbourne meeting of the club sometime. Perhaps this could be included as a way in to purchasing. I also have heaps of (suspect quality) images to post, but need to sort out how to do it.
Thanks
skyva

Postby gstark on Fri Dec 31, 2004 2:27 am

Hi Skyva, and thanx for your comments.

skyva wrote: I have taken a hundred shots or so (mostly in point and shoot mode) and have a few questions, but prefer to see whether others have asked the same question before posting a duplicate. I have seen lots of this on the dpreview forums, and it does get repetitive for the repliers, while provoking some blunt if not rude replies from "regulars". I hope this does not happen here.

I accept that it's often difficult to keep abreast of everything that's said here, and duplicate posts -or at least, similar questions/posts - are an inevitability.

If you've only taken about a hundred photos so far, then with all due respect, you probably need to get out, with the camera, more often. Photo opportunities simply abound, if you look for them.

I have lurked here for a month or so and picked up lots of tips. I would love to buy some cleaning equipment for a start, and after a short while, some lenses. I guess I can keep posting to get the numbers up, but what I like about this forum is the quality of the posts, rather than the quantity.

That's an important aspect for me, and if you read through this thread, you'll see that's one of the primary points we're making. We want you to join in and become an active part of this community.

I truly think that you'd be surprised at the extent of your contributions, despite your contention that, photography wise, you know very little.

Read on, and I'll illustrate my point ... :)

Perhaps some flexiinilty could be added. I would love to see a Melbourne meeting of the club sometime. Perhaps this could be included as a way in to purchasing.

The flexibilty in this aspect has been there right from the start of this policy. If you review the earlier part of the thread, attendance at meets is given an extremely high priority; I personally see it as being worth at least 10 posts.

Similarly, a high level of quality contributions to the forum would encourage us to grant access to the bargains section earlier than 30 posts, and regardless of the posting of an image. It will vary from one person to the next.

As to a Melbourne meeting, a few of our melbourne members got together earlier this week for post-holiday conviviality. You should have joined them. The organisation of this, and the details, were all done here over the last couple of days prior to Christmas and the weekend.

I also have heaps of (suspect quality) images to post, but need to sort out how to do it.

Are these images digital or film based? The only reason I ask is that, for film based images, you'll need to scan them in.

Look at the postings for Pixspot.com; they will tell you how to create an account there; the account is free, and permits you to host your images in a public gallery. You then upload your images to Pixspot and post, in your messages here, a reference to those images (your gallery) on Pixspot.

It's that easy.

When you're preparing your images for the web, you need to take into account the fact that not everyone has a broadband connection, so you'll (also) need to learn a little bit about some elementary post-processing techniques - in this case resizing the image, and setting the image quality appropriate (low enough) to be displayed on the web.

I mentioned earlier in this post that I would demonstrate to you some ways that you could contribute, and pointed out that you might have been able to attend the meeting in Melbourne the other day. As an extension of that, what about encouraging a second such meeting? In Sydney we're having just about weekly meets at Birddog's, for instance; while I think that weekly is too much (for me to commit to, and as an expectation on Birddog's resources) I'm certainly in favour of regular monthly meets for each of the regions where we have a presence.

What about your thoughts on places of interest for taking photos?

As the new year kicks in, become involved in the challenges we hold.

And one of the best ways to build up your post count is to tell us about yourself. Start a new thread introducing yourself and telling us about how you came to be interested in photography; the types of cameras you've had, and you and your background in general. Please feel free to bash Volvo drivers at will, and Canon 300D users if appropriate, but without flaming anyone. :)

Look at the thread on how many here play the guitar, and (if appropriate) add your comments. That thread is IMHO one of the best here, because it opens up (to me) the deeper parts of the minds of some of our members.

But most importantly of all, have fun. Remember that if you're not having fun, then you're not doing it right.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby dooda on Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:16 am

gstark wrote:Birddog,

I'm in the Marriott Courtyard in Laguna Hills, driving a Silver Chevvy Cavalier. AR's are very rare on the ground here, with no imports since the early 90's.

Paid my respects to Fry's; picked up a refurb 802.11b router/firewall for $22. Beats a software firewall any day. :)

And a baby wireless/optical mouse for $30. I ned to play with its sensitivity a little. Could be fun on the plane though. :)

I bought my 1gb card from Fry's the other day. Great place. Good Service and good price. It's great to get recommendations from trustworthy people.
love's first sighs are wisdom's last

Dave
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elton/
dooda
Party Animal

Postby natjac on Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:33 am

Boy oh Boy,

A few days on restricted computer access and everything changes.

My two cents worth (for what its worth),

I am unsure if even restricting access to the bargains section would stop new members from ordering from Birddog. I am in Sydney from O/S and have ordered something and picked it up from BD. The service, price and service received was nothing short of exemplary. I had researched about the item I was after (SB800) and I am of the opinion that I could not get it cheaper anywhere in the world (new). So I fully believe that anything purchased from Birddog is high into the bargain range.

But my real point would be, is there anything stopping me from contacting Birddog direct and requesting/ordering something? I do not need to ask the price or compare to any great extent because I know that it will be well priced. And after one interaction with him I doubt that he would exclude me from purchasing because my posts number less than 30. He's simply not that kind of person. If he was then the bargains that he offers would never have happened in the first place!

I understand all the reasons why limitations etc have to, should be applied. All the time and effort put into one non-profit transaction multiplied a hundred times is a huge drain on one's resources.

I have a few reservations about the 30 post minimum. I would have asked about 60 or 70 questions but they were all asked here before and all I had to do was search and get my answers. So without posting I have felt a 'part' of the community (despite what people think of lurking) and quite nostalgic about Oz, and whenever I did post it confirmed what I felt, that there was respect towards everyone, whether new or not.

I also have a few concerns about posting images. Most, nearly all, of my images are of my family and children. I dearly want to improve my photographs but am extremely reticent about putting my kids images on any public site. Quite a quandry. So I read all I can and try it at home.

I do think, however, that the most efficient method of reducing the number of 'new' bargain hunters (such as myself, lets call a spade a spade) is financially. I understand that it generates many different problems in collecting and collating but if the funds were directed towards the site then it would encourage people to stay members and contribute, people would still receive bargains (after they had paid for them if you like), and the funds could go towards running the site. It may not require it at the moment, but in the future this forum may become a far more time consuming and costly service to run and provide.

So in the end I would support any restriction, but also see it as an opportunity to also help secure the future of the forum.

Natjac.
natjac

Postby birddog114 on Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:42 am

natjac
Hi, sorry did not meet you the other day, please take time and review all reply posts from the start of this thread from Gary and others.
The restriction here is not only for you coz you only have under 30 posts, we have number of members with less than 30 posts but still can be accessed in the Bargain Section with the exemption from the administrator of the site.
You may PM Gary and ask him. BTW, enjoy your holiday at OZ with your family and Happy New Year.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby natjac on Fri Dec 31, 2004 7:50 am

Thanks for the reply Birddog and once again thanks very much for the other day. I am very sorry I didn't catch you, maybe another time.

I fully support any restriction but would hope that whatever method could be used to benefit those running the site. Even if funds collected could be used to finance any further prizes for the competions.

Enjoy the New Year and hope for less insanity for 2005,

Natjac
natjac

Membership Requirements

Postby digitor on Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:49 am

I just got back from ten days away, and just now came across this thread, I see things have changed a bit.

I guess something was needed, I am a new member (user?) having read for a while without joining, and then not posting much after I joined. I must admit I did feel rather uneasy about taking advantage of Birddog's generosity when I purchased a lens recently - after all, I had the thing in my hand before paying for it!

I find this forum to be a rare phenomonon (these days) on the net, but as I become more familiar with the people on it, I can see why it is such a great place.

Cheers
digitor

Postby plukaduck on Fri Dec 31, 2004 9:33 am

I think this is a good idea, however, as someone that knows very little about DSLR and someone who has very limited time, I find it difficult to contribute in the way of posts. I am sure there are many people more qualified than me to be able to offer advice.

I do get a lot of helpful information from this forum and I guess the thing for people like me is perhaps a membership fee to cover the costs. I have purchased from Birddog and will never accept and change from him rounding up to the nearest $10 to $20.

So how many more posts do I need? 8)

Cheers,

Darryl.
D70, kit lens, 70 - 200VR lens, 12-24 lens, SB 800, Lowe Pro Mini Trekker, Manfrotto Carbon 440 Tripod, Velbon ball head Monopod, Ikelite Underwater Housing, Ikelite 125 Strobe, 60GB X Drive Pro.
plukaduck

Postby Glen on Fri Dec 31, 2004 10:41 am

Darryl, you are a classic case of post number not reflecting your contribution (we should deduct one for your post about Hyundais :wink: ) but Gary can see that, which is why he has the ability to overide the 30 post rule which is not automatic but more a guide.

Your posts are useful no matter what the topic (exculuding the H topic)
Glen

Postby Nnnnsic on Fri Dec 31, 2004 12:12 pm

In fact, the thing here is that pretty much all posts here are useful, with the exception of flaming.

If a person wants advice, no matter what sort of advice follows, it's useful. If the advice is wrong, perhaps a conversation will result out of the exchange of information between the people giving the advice.

If someone wants a critique on their images, even a simple "That's good, I like it." while being small can go a long way to someone wanting to shoot more and more and it's quite helpful to see.

While I understand that people are hesitant to answer questions because of what the level of professional photographic skills that we seem to have here, every piece of advice you can give (that doesn't flame) helps. And if it doesn't help the person, a resulting extended conversation might come out of it.

Don't be scared to post, people.

We won't bite. Hard.
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby gstark on Fri Dec 31, 2004 4:07 pm

plukaduck wrote:So how many more posts do I need? 8)

In your case, zero. You've been added, and thanx Birddog for bringing this to my attention.

As Glen observed, your contributions thus far have already been valuable, not to mention that you've also been to several meets. That's more than enough for me.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Glen on Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:02 pm

I think it is time in this post to paraphrase JFK (hope it was him)

"Ask not what the forum can do for you, ask what you can do for the forum"

That could be a good conscience guide for oneself to determine if you are eligible for any offers.

8)
Glen

Postby skippy on Sat Jan 01, 2005 2:23 am

Wow, this thread has taken off. Was only 4 pages when I left to go on hols, and have been internetless (that a word? is now...) since. Thankfully, the D70 is portable. :D

First thing in my mailbox was Gary's email that I am now a full member - thanks Gary! All I have to do now is try and live up to it. Been to Western Plains zoo and Parkes observatory (aka the dish from the movie The Dish), and ended up with 4GB of RAW+Basic images to wade through. Once I find some of them worth posting (crosses fingers) I'll be seeking feedback, so get your critiquing keyboard ready guys!
Dopeler Effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.
skippy

Postby birddog114 on Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:00 am

skippy wrote:Wow, this thread has taken off. Was only 4 pages when I left to go on hols, and have been internetless (that a word? is now...) since. Thankfully, the D70 is portable. :D

First thing in my mailbox was Gary's email that I am now a full member - thanks Gary! All I have to do now is try and live up to it. Been to Western Plains zoo and Parkes observatory (aka the dish from the movie The Dish), and ended up with 4GB of RAW+Basic images to wade through. Once I find some of them worth posting (crosses fingers) I'll be seeking feedback, so get your critiquing keyboard ready guys!

Skippy,
Please post your experiences about the Bigma and the tripod/ monopod integration which you have to the Equipments review section for our members to look at. I'm sure you're the only one member of this forum who have and use the Bigma.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby skyva on Mon Jan 03, 2005 12:34 am

Gary, thanks for your reply. I am a member of a number of forums but generally like to keep a low profile until I find out what the forum is like. Some of them attract the wrong element (Whirlpool mainly, but Dpreview can be rough too). I have found a positive atmosphere here so I will contribute more. I do not disagree with controls on the ordering restrictions per se, just that I do not want to see a lot of meaningless posts by people trying toget up to the limit. I suspect with the popularity of the camera the forum will continue to expand.
I am not much of a photographer but I hate Volvo drivers (I have a motorcycle), but I know a fair bit about intellectual property (its my job), so that might come in handy for some of us later. I am willing to contribute when I can add something of value, but I am not going to be much use to others in relation to digital photography in the beginning.
When I said a hundred shots, I guess I mean a couple of hundred. I will go to pixspot and sign up. I have a fast broadband connection so download is no problem. I have some knowledge of file sizes and compression so I will try to set it up so others can easily view and comment as well. I am not worried about criticism as it is the best way to improve.
I will try to attend meetings as well, although I have just gotten back from Perth a few days ago (took lots of shots though). When I post some shots taken from my balcony (all taken with the kit lens) others in Melbourne can decide whether they may want to come over for a meeting/shoot.
I look forward to meeting and learning from the members.
skyva

Postby gstark on Mon Jan 03, 2005 3:02 am

skyva wrote:I do not disagree with controls on the ordering restrictions per se, just that I do not want to see a lot of meaningless posts by people trying toget up to the limit.

Interestingly, since we implemented this policy we had one person whom Leigh and I thought was doing exactly that. I tried to explain in a gentle manner that this wouldn't work (pointing out that a lower limit could easily be applied depending upon the quality of his postings) but he persisted. Leigh pointed out more directly what we felt he was doing, but he denied this.

We also told him at that time that those less meaningful posts were not going to count towards his quota, and that, at that time, even though he had reached the 30 posts, we weren't going to grant him access to the bargains section at that point in time.

And hasn't posted a single message (that I've seen, but I may be wrong) since being "busted".

As I've said on numerous occassions, it's about "community", and if this person was in any way serious about wanting to be a part of this community, his postings would have continued nonetheless. Instead, he seems to have disappeared, perhaps proving that Leigh's feelings about him were 100% spot on.

From the content of your postings thus far I have no doubts that you have the potential to be a valuable member of our community. Ipersonally believe that most people underestimate the value that can add to the community, and that is fine; just post when and if your comfortable, and all will be well.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Nnnnsic on Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:02 am

I actually come on here every day hoping to find a post from him to prove that I was wrong.

Alas...
Last edited by Nnnnsic on Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nnnnsic

Postby gstark on Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:10 am

Nnnnsic wrote:I actually come on her every day hoping to find a post from him to prove that I was wrong.

Alas...

And how does she feel about that? :twisted:
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Nnnnsic on Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:07 am

Yes... I knew you'd pick up on that... and I'd hoped to edit it... but I got caught up in the film editing I was doing.

So there. I've edited it and now we both look silly.

Don't make me point out your typos.
Nnnnsic

Postby atencati on Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:23 am

well, it just goes to show where his heart really was. The sad thing is, for someone to want the "BD Specials" they must be into photography, right? I would think they could learn a LOT by actually participating in this forum a bit.....

Kinda backwards
D70, 70-200VR, 18-70, 50 1.8, SB800
Blackberry PIN: 2029497E
atencati

Postby gstark on Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:17 am

atencati wrote:well, it just goes to show where his heart really was. The sad thing is, for someone to want the "BD Specials" they must be into photography, right? I would think they could learn a LOT by actually participating in this forum a bit.....

Kinda backwards

Isn't it just?

And in all honesty, I have trouble accepting that there is anybody who cannot contribute something worthwhile here. I am firmly of the beilief that everyone else knows many things that I have yet to learn. It takes just the passing of a couple of those bits of knowledge to take care of the requirements we've outlined.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby dooda on Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:17 am

One thing to add to this last bit.

SOmetimtes someone posts a newbie question that I think I know the answer to. Then there are replies to it that have added to my knowledge. I've found this more here than anywhere else for some reason. Or they post a source on the internet that I wouldn't have found otherwise that I gleaned excellent information from.

I agree with Gary that most people underestimate their potential contribution here. Anyone that doesn't participate with their newbie knowledge does us all a disservice in a way.
love's first sighs are wisdom's last

Dave
http://www.flickr.com/photos/elton/
dooda
Party Animal

Postby skyva on Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:59 pm

I agree with Gary and others. I am learning lots hear and hopefully will provide some insightful (rather than inciteful) comments. Participation is important.
On one note, I started a new thread on where to buy a cf card in Perth, and received some very useful advice, which I used. Unfortunately I cannot yet get back to post in that thread to thank the people who took the time to reply. I do not want them to think I didn't want to thank them. I am not complaining about the new limitations on posting in BARGAINS, merely hoping to say thanks to those who replied with useful information.
I guess I do have some things to contribute as well, just not in photography. I believe the forums are best served by having a diverse group of particpants.
skyva

Postby lejazzcat on Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:21 pm

Speaking as one of the underprivileged newbies, ide like to offer my 2c worth on this topic. :)

I dont have the D70 (aarrggh !), but I came across this forum whilst doing research about this wonderful camera and promptly joined.

NOT, in order to get a cheap camera though! If i only wanted to do 'that', then ide just buy some greymarket cheapie, off ebay, and be done with it!

Im sure there are other new members in the same boat. Please dont hold that againt us . :?

But as i say, not having a D70 its difficult to make postings about something i dont own, or dont have any direct and regular experience with.
That just seems a bit premature to me, as im sure there are more experienced members who can address their queries with greater insights into the problem, ide rather leave it to them.
Hence a low number of postings...
A Catch 22. (well of sorts)

The point of my being a photographer has nothing to do with bargain hunting camera gear (IMO). Its just a tool of the trade.
Often the gear just gets in the way of my seeing the art !
Anyhow..

My current 35mm camera is a Nikon F4s,numerous AF lenses, macro bellows, etc and i have tried all sorts of photography with it , some i enjoyed more success with than others.

When ive paid $$$ for exotic films and processing in the hope of creating a unique image, even a saving of a thousand dollars would only be relative to quality of work i can achieve.

Thats the real value of this forum to me. A collective of amatuer and professional photographers that ocassionally share their skills to help improve the art and business of photography as a whole.

Peers,help me find the better gear, techniques and subjects that will improve my capabilities, hopefully share your contacts and guide me to a higher standard of work.
Needless to say, I am very impressed by the depth and quality of information exchanged here.

There, or was that 3c... :wink:

All the best ... 8)
lejazzcat

Postby gstark on Sun Jan 09, 2005 2:40 pm

Hi, and welcome.

lejazzcat wrote:Speaking as one of the underprivileged newbies, ide like to offer my 2c worth on this topic. :)

I'll see your 2 cents, and raise you three.

What's the background to your user name? I'm presuming there's an interest in music sitting behind it, in which case I need to commend to you the "How Many D70 users can play the guitar" thread.

I dont have the D70 (aarrggh !), but I came across this forum whilst doing research about this wonderful camera and promptly joined.

NOT, in order to get a cheap camera though! If i only wanted to do 'that', then ide just buy some greymarket cheapie, off ebay, and be done with it!

Im sure there are other new members in the same boat. Please dont hold that againt us . :?

Rest assured I won't. I can't speak on behalf of any others, of course, but seeing how as I run this forum, does it really matter? :)

Actually, yes it does.

But as i say, not having a D70 its difficult to make postings about something i dont own, or dont have any direct and regular experience with.

I can appreciate what you're saying here,

However, there's something else in your post that prompts me to issue you a friendly challenge. ...

The point of my being a photographer has nothing to do with bargain hunting camera gear (IMO). Its just a tool of the trade.
Often the gear just gets in the way of my seeing the art !
Anyhow..

My current 35mm camera is a Nikon F4s,numerous AF lenses, macro bellows, etc and i have tried all sorts of photography with it , some i enjoyed more success with than others.

And thus the challenge arises.

Do you believe that your past 35mm experience will be of assistance to you in making the changeover to digital? I would respctfully suggest that it will, and many of the techniques you have learned over the years, and much of the experience you have ammassed over your time with your 35mm gear will be of great assistance to you as you start to work with your (soon to be acquired) D70.

How beneficial do you believe that your non-digital experiences might be to others here - those who are newbies to not just the D70, but to the world of SLRs - or perhaps serious photography - as well?

I would be willing to argue that, despite the absence of a D70 in your camera case, there is much you can offer this community.

Look at the threads on exposure, bokeh, talk about EVs ...

And as an experienced photographer there are no doubt many situiations you will have encountered that you can recount to us - perhaps wedding or portrait shoots that went really well.

Or horribly wrong. :)

So please don't let the lack of a D70 hamper your style here. I'll bet you'll fit in just fine without one. Hell, we even have the odd Canon owner turn up.

And then there's the Volvo drivers. :P

When ive paid $$$ for exotic films and processing in the hope of creating a unique image, even a saving of a thousand dollars would only be relative to quality of work i can achieve.

Thats the real value of this forum to me. A collective of amatuer and professional photographers that ocassionally share their skills to help improve the art and business of photography as a whole.

Peers,help me find the better gear, techniques and subjects that will improve my capabilities, hopefully share your contacts and guide me to a higher standard of work.

This is where the give and take comes in; I'm sure you have plenty to share with us as well. That way the whole community benefits, and that's what this forum is all about.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby lejazzcat on Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:22 pm

Hi gstark,

3c ?! I wonder if birddog can get it cheaper :lol:

Jazzcat? - yeh, once bitten, your poor for life !

i think sinatra said it best. :P

"To do is to be" - Rousseau
"To be is to do" - Satre
"Do be do be do" -Sinatra

Ill 'do' my best .
lejazzcat

Postby skippy on Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:09 am

On the earlier idea that someone new to photography or the D70 in particular might not be able to contribute much, I'd have to disagree.

If someone posts a question that I think I can answer I'll have a go at it, and if it turns out that I am mistaken or don't give the full answer the question deserves, I'd hope someone would point that out. Nicely, of course! :) But that's the best part of this forum. I can be confident that it will be pointed out nicely, rather than a degeneration into insults. The clarification of the original question that comes about because of the correction can only help the original poster. Ditto the give and take of ideas if a couple of replies differ. The 'art' part of what we do means that some questions have no right answer, so a number of viewpoints is also a good thing.

There are people here who have been into photography for decades, so the depth of knowledge these people have cannot be dismissed. Jazzcat's protestations aside, if he gives me a suggestion on how to improve a shot I'm sure as hell going to listen - just cause I have a D70 and he (at this stage) uses something different (even <shudder> film... :wink: ) does nothing at all to lessen his knowledge of the art of photography. It might even be an advantage - you'd probably pay more attention if you had to pay for every shot! I'm not into jazz though, so on that topic we'll just have to disagree. :D

My 2.2c (inc GST)
Dopeler Effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.
skippy

Postby Nnnnsic on Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:01 am

On a side note...

skippy wrote: (even <shudder> film... :wink: )

... careful there. :wink:
Nnnnsic

Postby skippy on Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:08 am

:P :P :P

Thought that might get a reaction!
skippy

Postby jdear on Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:54 am

I would be willing to argue that, despite the absence of a D70 in your camera case, there is much you can offer this community.

Agrees. I still dont have a D70, but I have (i feel, correct me if im wrong :P) been able to contribute some of my previous experience with 35mm photography - lens reversal, photoshop etc, to this forum)

as for how i came to this forum, i think it was a link from dpreview. I was much taken back by the comradery and the fellowship between photographers, so i signed up in pride of people getting together to celebrate, encourage and further themselves in photography.

It wasnt till later that BD's goods came into play - either i didnt see it, or it wasnt publicised at that stage. Originally I came with a slight interest in the d70, wanting to see actual photos out of the camera by long-time users.

And now im anxiously awaiting the sale of my dimage a2 to "upgrade" to the d70. (tell people to buy it! - http://www.jdear.com/a2) I certainly look forward to feeling like i can contribute a little more to this forum!

Before i only half wanted a D70, but through interaction on this forum, Im almost prepared to sell off some of my less-vital organs for one! Surely the disapperance of BD's offerings (theorizing) will not affect my involvement or committment to this forum now or in the future. :)

lejazzcat i welcome you highly.

JD
jdear

Postby lejazzcat on Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:49 am

jdear wrote:

lejazzcat i welcome you highly.

JD

Thank you JD, really nice of you to welcome me like that . :D
Im sure your both right , ill gladly offer my opinion whenever it might help.
Damn i want that D70 so bad! :lol:
lejazzcat

Postby pippin88 on Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:44 pm

Once I have 30 posts, is posting access automatic, or do I need to PM / email someone?
pippin88

Postby gstark on Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:47 pm

Mostly, leave it to Leigh or I to notice, and we'll take care of it for you.

At the very worst, you could PM us, but I would suspect that you'll not find that necessary.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby pippin88 on Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:59 pm

gstark wrote:Mostly, leave it to Leigh or I to notice, and we'll take care of it for you.

At the very worst, you could PM us, but I would suspect that you'll not find that necessary.

Thanks for fixing it up for me.
pippin88

Postby brembo on Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:27 pm

I've hit the magic 30 post mark recently and went to post a reply to the 1000mm Rusky thread in the bargains subforum and got rejected :(

Any chance of a bump up to the ranks Image
brembo

Postby Slaggie on Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:15 am

New member as of yesterday. First off, when I stumbled on your site a couple of weeks ago it was like striking gold. What a great site. Then I noticed the great deals members can get. Better and better. 30 posts Eh. Well here goes no. 1, I dont usually post unless I think I have something to contribute. The otherway to post on the up&up (imho) is to ask a good question. The good deals are quoted in US $ or Australian $ ( not likley to be in Canadian Eh ). Ive got some more but will have to find the proper place to ask them. Geo. :-)
Slaggie

Postby fozzie on Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:28 am

Slaggie (Geo) - Firstly welcome to the forum :) .

Look forward to your post (s) and picture (s) in the future.

FYI: in the bargin section all cost are in Australian Dollars (AU$/AUD).

Also available 'free' is: http://www.pixspot.com/ for uploading images.

Goodbye for now,
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby Slaggie on Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:24 am

Thanks Fozzie.
I thrashed around the photo gallery mentioned , registerd, but could not find the download file you suggested I use. Could you point me in the right direction, please.
I got to use my wifes 3 meg point & shoot this summer. I have already been fiddling around with Photoshop for quite a while. This digital stuff is a blast. A dealer now has my 4+5 Linhof to sell and when it goes I get the D70 for sure. Geo. :D
Slaggie

Postby fozzie on Mon Jan 31, 2005 6:57 am

Slaggie,

After you have logged on go back to the '@' symbol and it will then display a drop down menu in orange, like so:

My gallery | Admin mode | Upload file | Logout [fozzie] |

then select 'My Gallery', then 'Upload file;.

Just remember pic. must be in jpg format and ess than 1024KB.

In the section, File Uploads - Line one select browse and then go to file that contains your picture (s) and so on. When inserted select 'CONTINUE' at the bottom of the screen.

Cheers,
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby Slaggie on Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:03 am

Fozzie, I cant beleve how fast your reply was.
Wrote it all down, I have a 4*5 transparency of the confederation bridge. Will scan and try to size it properly and post. Dont hold your breath as putting photos on the net is totally new to me and will take some time to figure out. Geo. :D
Slaggie

Postby fozzie on Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:36 am

Slaggie,

There are only two types of people in the world, the 'QUICK' and the 'DEAD'. I am 'QUICK'.

Hope it all works out for you.

Goodbye for now,
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby genji on Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:10 pm

i've just spent 2 hours reading through this thread, i have a couple of suggestions, that i don think have not been raised (but i could be wrong!)

1. what about a rating system, similair to http://www.whirlpool.net.au, although we dont have many members as whirlpool (72,634 members) to enforce. But then whirlpool has a much broader audience.

2. have a scale, ie 30 post gets u a look in, 100 post lets you buy under $100, etc. that way it makes it harder for opportunist to take advantage of the system. members who post 100 in a day can be weeded out.
but this stop members with geniune intentions.
genji

Postby kfandst on Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:47 pm

How about this variation?

Set a target of min 30 posts to access the bargain section.

Then a monthly (or even 2 monthly) average of x posts are required to maintain access to the bargain section. One the number of posts drops below average, access is denied again (or even have to start from scrach again).

Up to gstark to figure out what level of participation he requires and the amount of programming effort, if at all this can be achieved.
To buy or not to buy, that's the question.
kfandst

Postby Nnnnsic on Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:28 pm

Genji... here are my comments for your points:

1. I'm not sure how the rating system would be fair. I'd personally be worried about User X creating a few more accounts to boost his or her rating. We've had a couple of members already who probably would have done that who look for ways around our system.

2. That's a nice idea, but I'm an admin and it took me ages to get 100 posts... and $100 bucks doesn't help someone who's new to the forum who may not have a D70 get anywhere near closer to one.
Members who post more than 50 in a day who aren't Birddog or another senior member are watched quite carefully, especially if they're new.
Nnnnsic

Postby genji on Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:09 pm

what is the real harm? a member buying from birddog and re-selling at a profit?? i suspect this would happen once.

maybe what u need is an middle-man who can monitor and make approvals?? [/img]
genji

Postby MCWB on Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:13 pm

genji wrote:what is the real harm? a member buying from birddog and re-selling at a profit??
People joining the forums for the sole purposes of buying cheap gear off Birdy, then disappearing without contributing to the community.
MCWB

PreviousNext

Return to Information