Tripod Drama

Forum rules and nettiquette, along with other items of general interest.

Important information about this forum is contained here, and members MUST familiarise themselves with the posts here, as well as what is contained within the FAQ.

Please do not complain if you ask a question regarding a topic covered here or in the FAQ and in response you get a rather brusque, obtuse or sarcastic response. We get sick and tired of answering the same questions, day in, day out, when the answers are clearly published, in plain view, and all that is required is for you to open your eyes and read them!

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Tripod Drama

Postby marcotrov on Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:23 pm

Well Quantas rang this morning. It seems they have officially 'MISPLACED' my tripod. Yeah sure! :evil: Well here goes the long process of filling in a claim form... lord knows how long it will be before i get my money? But you can rest assured that i'll be bucking for before xmas. Birdy get ready for a benro A328 and KB-2 order, I hope. :wink: Well there is always a bright side to this... at least they didn't lose my camera backpack! No, because i wouldn't let it out of my sight!! :x
Sorry guys I'm a bit embarrassed by my ranting :oops: Ok.. I'm over it now! :wink:

cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby Slider on Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:28 pm

And it was THE BEST tripod that money can buy. :D
Cheers
Mark :) http://www.photographicaustralia.com
http://www.trekaboutphotography.com

He who dies with the most lenses wins...
Slider

Postby antman on Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:32 pm

Marco,

Just out of interest, I was just going to ask - when you lodge a claim such as this, what documentary evidence do you need to justify your claim. Receipts etc I presume. What happens if you don't have any ?

Has Qantas said if they will compensate you for the full amount.

Thanks.
Geoff C

My Gallery:http://geoffc.smugmug.com/
antman

Postby birddog114 on Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:46 pm

I don't think Qantas will pay you full amount of the lost in your claim.
If I'm not wrong, the maximum is around AU$200.00 or less per ticket.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby Marty on Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:49 pm

Hey Marco,
dont stress over it, Qantas are a big company and they will try to keep you happy.
I once spent a couple of months overseas with all the clothes I owned in two very large bags. When I returned to Sydney in winter, my clothes had been put on the wrong plane are were in America..??
Qantas compensated me $100 per day until my bags were found and delivered to my door.
It was the easiest way I ever got $700..!!! (but quite chilly as I only had shorts to wear).
Just keep calling them.
Marty
What does that button do....??
Marty

Postby birddog114 on Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:52 pm

Marty,
Bag of cloth is difference with tripod and he was on domestic not international like you had, I'm sure there's a restriction or limitation in both areas.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Matt. K on Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:53 pm

marcotrov
Bad luck. Tell the airline that you are posting the details and outcome on the forum and thousands of your friends are following to see how things turn out.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby marcotrov on Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:58 pm

Birddog you've scared me :( My understanding was that i was told to get a quote for the tripod plus head and then on Monday they are putting me in contact with the claims lady. :roll: I don't think I'll be putting up with any shananigans but I think you might be right Manta they should look after their customers. :)
Actually I relly liked the tripod and head I had. I was really hoping they'd find it. But if they don't I do expect to be FULLY reimbursed for what I lost. Not to mention the inconvenience.... I don't have a bloody tripod, and will continue to not have one for the next few weeks by the looks of it, through no fault of my own!
Any advice apart from ringing them, Manta?
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby marcotrov on Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:05 pm

Matt Said:
Bad luck. Tell the airline that you are posting the details and outcome on the forum and thousands of your friends are following to see how things turn out.

Yeah, but I really hope it doesn't get to that. I had that experience when the sony batteries that came with my first F90X
exploded in the camera killing it. After a year of writing phoning etc Sony in america finally conceded and replaced my camera. I sure as hell don't want to go there again!

Birddog said:
Bag of cloth is difference with tripod and he was on domestic not international like you had, I'm sure there's a restriction or limitation in both areas.

I didn't think it would make a difference whether international or domestic. I think I'm capable of kicking either sort of butt!! :twisted:

I hope though that I will be calmly and in atimely manner be ordering another tripod soon if mine doesn't turn up by Monday. I think I've been quite reasonable about it.... so far :twisted:
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby birddog114 on Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:07 pm

Marco,

Want a quote for a tripod and head? I'm ready! :wink:

Here you go, the following quoted prices based on RRP in Australia

Photographic store:

If you want it proper on a store letterhead, pls. let me know.

- Gitzo G1325 Carbon Fibre $990.00
- Gitzo G1321 Leveling base $350.00
- Really Right Stuff Ballhead BH-55 Pro $715.00

Total: $2055.00 GST Inc.

Good enough for you to preorder the Fresh new Nikon D200. :wink:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby marcotrov on Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:12 pm

Hell Birddog I might want to apply a little pressure on the Quantas half nelson but I really don't want to rip their head off!! :shock: :wink:
Though the thought of a carbon gitzo gets me going, I feel I need to stay with an aluminium as that's what my manfrotto was. :)
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby birddog114 on Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:15 pm

Marco,
International and Domestic are difference,
You got e-ticket, so not much details of compensation details of lost baggage attached to your ticket, but International Air ticket has a fine print of details in the back of the ticket or the back cover of the ticket booklet.

That made people getting Travel Insurance or Home Insurance policy to cover the lost.

It's happened to me once, and I claimed thru my Home Insurance Policy instead of going thru United Airlines, I got the insurance cheque within week, and AAMI fought with United Airlines for the claims.
Last edited by birddog114 on Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby marcotrov on Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:18 pm

OK, thanks Birddog. :) If I look like being stuffed around for the compensation I'll have to check my home insurance. :) :wink:
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby birddog114 on Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:21 pm

marcotrov wrote:Hell Birddog I might want to apply a little pressure on the Quantas half nelson but I really don't want to rip their head off!! :shock: :wink:
Though the thought of a carbon gitzo gets me going, I feel I need to stay with an aluminium as that's what my manfrotto was. :)
cheers
marco

So what? you want to change the quotation to Manfrotto Aluminium + RRS BH55 PRo + RRS Pano head and pano package? :roll: It's doable. :wink:

It's still around $2050.00 or more, coz the "Ultimate-Pro Omni-Pivot Package" is US$800.00 + shipping + GST. 8)
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby the foto fanatic on Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:24 pm

Calling Dr Frankenstein -

Marty:

Manta:
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby marcotrov on Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:25 pm

Gee! now that's tempting :roll: I let you all know how I go people :) I better get back to working on my wife's 50th, sorry 21st :lol: , slide show
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby marcotrov on Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:04 am

Well guys just checked the Quantas e ticket as Birddog suggested and it says:
Domestic Notice - Limitation of Liability
Blah,Blah,Blah........ Quantas liability in respect of ...... baggage is limited to $1600 per person (for checked baggage), and $160 per passenger for cabin baggage.

Well it looks like I'm right. :) I think? :roll:
cheers
marco
marcotrov

Postby MATT on Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:32 am

Well Marco, I'd take Birdy's quote for the carbon job in.

Then say out of the ggodness of your heart and because of all the help Qantas have given you I'll except the $1600. :D :D

Sounds like a great plan. It was a carbon fibre job right?

MATT
MATT

Postby Hlop on Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:55 am

Please, correct me if I misunderstood it - if price of lost luggage is more then company's liablity, company won't pay you more than liability and you have to make a claim to your insurance company instead of air carrier? And then, insurance will fight to air?
Mikhail
Hasselblad 501CM, XPAN, Wista DX 4x5, Pentax 67, Nikon D70, FED-2
Hlop

Postby birddog114 on Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:57 am

MATT wrote:Well Marco, I'd take Birdy's quote for the carbon job in.

Then say out of the ggodness of your heart and because of all the help Qantas have given you I'll except the $1600. :D :D

Sounds like a great plan. It was a carbon fibre job right?

MATT

Congrats! get the quote with Gitzo and RRS BH55Pro + The Pano package :wink:
The total cost of the replacement tripod is not expensive as the few screws and nuts on new Qantas A380 :wink:
Advice for other members, who's travelling soon, don't pack your expensive tripods, go to Aldi, got one as $25.00 and sell it to Qantas for $1600.00 :wink:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby birddog114 on Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:03 am

Hlop wrote:Please, correct me if I misunderstood it - if price of lost luggage is more then company's liablity, company won't pay you more than liability and you have to make a claim to your insurance company instead of air carrier? And then, insurance will fight to air?

I normally claim with our Home & Contents policy, it covers more than what all Airlines do, and cut short the time of my claims, I rather leave the big companies to fight with each other. That why I paid a good premium for.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby MATT on Fri Nov 11, 2005 11:48 am

I normally claim with our Home & Contents policy, it covers more than what all Airlines do, and cut short the time of my claims, I rather leave the big companies to fight with each other. That why I paid a good premium for.

Very wise words Birdy. Thats exactly why we pay inssurance.

MATT
MATT

Return to Information