4x5 goodness

With everyone getting new bodies, I think that separate section for you to proudly display your first image from your new acquisition is in order.

This applies to brand new bodies, as well as bodies that are simply newly acquired by you.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 800 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and no more than four images per post.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

4x5 goodness

Postby Reschsmooth on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:23 am

Picked up a 4x5 bit of kit last weekend and finally had a chance to run some film through it.

Two different scenes - the one of Alicia using SB800 and Metz and the one of the wine outside (the vine on the fence is a grape vine, hence the inclusion).

Points of note:

1. Still learning movements and the Scheimpflug relationship and how to get good focus. I am using a 50 1.8 as a loupe and a D800 as a light meter!
2. The square shot of the wine shows light leaks - I am guessing this was human error in the loading of the film holder as it is does not appear in the other shots.

Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Re: 4x5 goodness

Postby Remorhaz on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:44 am

The results of the light leak are interesting Patrick - you sure you didn't just have a big mirror on the ground :)

In the closer shot of Alicia I don't like how the focus goes so dramatically from sharp to blurred between the right and left sides of her face - interesting that you can do this sort of rapid decay like that tho
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Postby Reschsmooth on Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:49 pm

Thanks Rodney.

Re the focus on Alicia's face: it definitely was not my intention to have her right eye out of focus. I am still getting the hang of the focusing of the camera.

What is interesting is how the whole focusing process works. Y'see, as you probably know, the plane of sharp focus is perpendicular to the axis through the lens and therefore ordinarily parallel to the lens plane and film plane (apparently some of you guys use digital cameras, so replace "film plane" with sensor plane). With these cameras, you can move both the lens plane and film plane in pretty much all directions. This means that you can move the way the plane of sharp focus interacts with the film/sensor, and at angles other than 0'.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby biggerry on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:13 pm

how trippy is that focus plane in the first one of Alicia!

anywho, that one is my pick, however is it possible to bring back the highlights a bit, its a nice shot and she is well posed there.
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby Remorhaz on Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:45 pm

Reschsmooth wrote:the plane of sharp focus is perpendicular to the axis through the lens and therefore ordinarily parallel to the lens plane and film plane (apparently some of you guys use digital cameras, so replace "film plane" with sensor plane). With these cameras, you can move both the lens plane and film plane in pretty much all directions

My brain hurts enough as it is without introducing tilts and shifts or even bellows. I'll have to add it to the ever growing list of things to learn and experiment with :)
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Postby Reschsmooth on Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:15 pm

Remorhaz wrote:
Reschsmooth wrote:the plane of sharp focus is perpendicular to the axis through the lens and therefore ordinarily parallel to the lens plane and film plane (apparently some of you guys use digital cameras, so replace "film plane" with sensor plane). With these cameras, you can move both the lens plane and film plane in pretty much all directions

My brain hurts enough as it is without introducing tilts and shifts or even bellows. I'll have to add it to the ever growing list of things to learn and experiment with :)

Don't google "Scheimpflug relationship" then, dealing with tilts and swings - it involves trigonometry!
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby aim54x on Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:18 am

Lovely work there Patrick...that Cambo will be a nice addition to your kit!
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Return to First Image