Under water test

With everyone getting new bodies, I think that separate section for you to proudly display your first image from your new acquisition is in order.

This applies to brand new bodies, as well as bodies that are simply newly acquired by you.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 800 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and no more than four images per post.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Under water test

Postby radar on Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:58 pm

Not the first image with the camera, Nikon D7000 and Tokina 12-24, but the first images with the camera in an SPL Waterhousing.

A swimmer at Merewhether Baths let me take his photo

One of the starting blocks, wanted to try an over/under shot. Will have to be careful with water on the front of the port.

And the pumphouse in an over/under shot as well.

If you click on the image, it will take you to a larger version on Flickr.

The housing worked great. It is mostly the operator that was having trouble.

The housing also comes with a pistol grip, which I wasn't using here. I used the shutter release. I also got a lens port for my 10-17 fisheye. Will be able to get some wave shots and surfing photos, once the water gets warmer. I was lucky it was a warm day and I was in the baths, water temp about 17C. I did have a Sharkskin top to help me out 8) - made right here in the Hunter.

Initially, I was looking at the Aquatech waterhousing for the D7000 but they are pretty limited in the controls that are available on the case, as opposed to their sport housings for the D700.

Cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Re: Under water test

Postby bigsarg7 on Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:01 pm

i've always wanted to give it a go, i just don't think i could willingly put my camera in it for the first time! I like how you've tried to go above and bellow the water, but I think there is too much on the top and not enough on the bottom. But keep trying and i can't wait to see future images you try like this! Hope your gear remains nice and dry!!
2 x Fuji xt1,vg-xt1 grip, Fujinon xf 18-55mm 2.8-4, Fujinon xf 14mm, Fujinon 56mm 1.2.
bigsarg7

Postby radar on Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:23 pm

bigsarg7 wrote:Hope your gear remains nice and dry!!

:agree:

Initially, most will be while snorkelling, so they will be all "under". When doing the over/under thing, I will likely be trying that out with the fisheye and the 6" lens dome port, so goes the theory anyway. I will also be using a 20mm prime to see how that goes in the dome port.

Certainly the heart was going a bit faster when I first put the housing and camera under water :shock:

thanks,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby aim54x on Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:53 pm

The images look stunning...I cant wait to see what you will produce with this set up!
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby muzz on Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:21 am

I'm looking forward to receiving my Canon UW housing for my new S95 from Amazon. I'll have to see how much I use it before justifying a rig for DSLR. I found this little device which looks interesting. I wonder if anyone has used one? ATJ??
Canon 7D | Canon 350D | G5 | S95 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.8 II | 70-200mm f2.8L USM | 430EX II | Strobist gear
muzz

Postby radar on Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:59 am

muzz wrote:I found this little device which looks interesting. I wonder if anyone has used one? ATJ??

I think I remember Andrew mentioning that he was using a leak detector in his UW housing, not sure if it is this one.

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby ATJ on Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:07 pm

muzz wrote:I found this little device which looks interesting. I wonder if anyone has used one? ATJ??

That's what I use with my D300. Let me tell you it is quite a shock for it to start flashing while at 18m but I'm glad it did as it very likely saved the camera.

It won't always detect a leak, though. A few weeks ago I had a small amount of water leak through the top of the join between the port and the housing. Fortunately there were only a few drops of water and from what a suppose happened they hit the zoom sleeve and then flowed to the port and no water got on the lens at all. There was a tiny bit of water between the bottom of the camera and the camera tray. None made it to the leak detector and so no warning. No damage was done.

I'm confident the leak was caused by me pushing the rig forward against solid surface while photographing a fish. It was shallow water (around 5m) so there wasn't a lot of pressure holding the port in place so pressure on the bottom of the port would have caused the upper edge of the port to pull away slightly from the O ring. I was so confident that was the cause my very next dive was to more than 30m.
ATJ

Postby Ant on Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:27 pm

I got taught to think of any housed camera as "the most expensive disposable camera you have ever purchased". I have seen someones leak detector go off and cause a diver to make an incredibly dangerous ascent from about 12m, luckily very early in the dive. On the other hand I have seen a diver at 30m basically shrug, clip off his camera and finish the dive. The camera was toast and would have been anyway after a safe ascent.
D90 | D50 | Tamron 17-50 2.8| AF-S 18-55 DX (and VR) | Sigma 70 - 300 APO DG | 50mm 1.8 | SB-600
Ant

Postby aim54x on Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:35 pm

Ant wrote:I got taught to think of any housed camera as "the most expensive disposable camera you have ever purchased". I have seen someones leak detector go off and cause a diver to make an incredibly dangerous ascent from about 12m, luckily very early in the dive. On the other hand I have seen a diver at 30m basically shrug, clip off his camera and finish the dive. The camera was toast and would have been anyway after a safe ascent.

It is an interesting dilemma, but getting compression sickness would not be worth the price of any camera so what you have been taught is probably very good advice!
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby ATJ on Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:55 pm

If people are going to ignore their dive training and do stupid things, they can do it perfectly well without a camera.
ATJ

Postby Ant on Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:33 pm

ATJ wrote:If people are going to ignore their dive training and do stupid things, they can do it perfectly well without a camera.

But they do it so much better with a camera... I have even been hit in the back of the head by a camera because someone was diving through the viewfinder... Makes you want to turn some peoples air off.
D90 | D50 | Tamron 17-50 2.8| AF-S 18-55 DX (and VR) | Sigma 70 - 300 APO DG | 50mm 1.8 | SB-600
Ant

Return to First Image