New (s/h) D70s arrived today :)

With everyone getting new bodies, I think that separate section for you to proudly display your first image from your new acquisition is in order.

This applies to brand new bodies, as well as bodies that are simply newly acquired by you.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Images posted here should conform with the general forum guidelines. Image sizes should not exceed 800 pixels along the largest side (height or width) and no more than four images per post.

Please also ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

New (s/h) D70s arrived today :)

Postby bugs on Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:49 am

Before October 2008, the most recent camera I bought was an Olympus AFL film P&S (38mm f2.8 lens). Last October I bought a Canon A470, was disapointed 'cos I misread the specs -- thought it had IS. So I bought the A590IS, cheapest P&S with IS, gave away the A470. Then this year I decided to move up to a superzoom, bought the Canon SX10, it was hopeless (fequently failed to focus), tried a second model (worse), got my money back. Where to now? I'm on a low income (pension), perhaps secondhand?

Tripped over this forum and an excellent package deal for an old D70s with a couple lenses. Thought about that for a few days and decided to go for it, got to start somewhere. So that's my first dSLR. What surprised me is just how well the camera focuses -- fast and either gets a focus lock or doesn't with kit 18-70 lens. The Tamron lens used the noisy body focus drive, it was good too.

First outdoor image here: http://bugsplatter.id.au/misc/first-image.html Nothing special, just a big tree out the front where I live.

That's taken before reading any manuals, reduced to 800px wide in IrfanView, I've not installed the Nikon software yet.

Much to learn. This is my first post here too. I'm starting to take an interest in photography a couple decades of occasionally taking a roll or too in a P&S. Been waiting for prices on a digital to drop, and here I am starting a lens collection! Already have a prime lens (f1.8 50mm) from eBay in the mail for low light, and looking for a shorter one (24mm f2.8 -- I'd like shorter + faster but they cost too much) if I can find one cheap enough.
bugs

Re: New (s/h) D70s arrived today :)

Postby aim54x on Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:23 am

Welcome aboard and Congratulations on your purchase, I am sure you will enjoy the kit. The D70s is a very good camera and I hope that it will bring you many great photos.

On the topic of collecting lenses here is my route to where I am today.

I started owning my gear late August 2007 when I purchased a Nikon D40x + 18-135mm lens, a SB-400, a 50mm f/1.8 and a Tamron 28-105mm f/2.8 (BAD ebay buy) was quickly added to the kit as well as Nikon F80D arriving before the year was out. Come January 2008 I sold my D40x + 18-135mm and replaced it with a D300 and was given a Nikkor 28-80mm. Quickly afterwards I added a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 and a Tamron 70-300mm.

By the March 2008 I had also added a SB-800 and a 24-70mm f/2.8. I added a SB-600 not long afterwards. I added my Nikon FM2n around June/July 2008, and a Sigma 180mm macro was purchased in August 2008. The last purchase was my 70-200mm f/2.8VR, was purchased in December 2008. I am still paying off this lens.

For a struggling uni student I sure have quickly acquired a lot of gear, but at the same time the journey has been an immensely personal one for me, a journey of finding myself and redefining who I call close.

I have always loved photography and still shoot film on occasion, I learnt to shoot using Nikon FM2's and Pentax K1000's back in high school and I have only ever looked back and regretted my folly of picking up a Kodak CX7430 instead of a Nikon film SLR all those years back.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Marvin on Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:34 am

Welcome to the forum, and the wonderful, addictive world of DSLR. Get out there and take lots, learn lots.
Nikon D7000
Marvin

Postby rookie2 on Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:25 pm

D70s and kit lens got me hooked on this DSLR stuff!!
It got stolen in asia a couple of years ago but I have fond memories of its capabilities when combined with the 18 -70 that IMHO is a great kit lens.

enjoy and good luck combatting NAS!

R2
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Rookie2

http://www.DLdigital.smugmug.com
rookie2

Postby Glen on Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:26 am

Welcome Bugs, hope you enjoy it here. Many here started with the D70 as their first DSLR. Good choices on the lens so far.
http://wolfeyes.com.au Tactical Torches - Tactical Flashlights Police torch rechargeable torch military torch police military HID surefire flashlight LED torch tactical torch rechargeable wolf eyes flashlight surefire torch wolf eyes tactical torchpolice torch
Thank You
Glen

Return to First Image