UK trip advice needed

Have your say on issues related to using a DSLR camera.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

UK trip advice needed

Postby ozimax on Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:10 am

Robyn and I am hopefully embarking on a 40th wedding anniversary trip to UK and Spain, leaving on 3rd October. (I say “hopefully” because we are booked on Qantas … enough said). We plan to spend 7 weeks in the old country and a week visiting friends in Espanol. We have booked Airbnb’s in Lincolnshire, Yorkshire, Stirling, Isle of Skye & surrounds, Snowdonia, Cornwall, with a spare week up our sleeves for who knows where. (We are giving London a miss as we’ve been there numerous times before).

Any advice on things to do and see would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Ozi
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Re: UK trip advice needed

Postby gstark on Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:44 am

Take carry-on only.

Then you won't need to carry on when the leprechaun loses your luggage.

Unfortunately, the only solid advice I can offer is to make sure you have a bloody good time, and stay safe and well.

I've booked a trip for late-ish October to go to Seattle and visit my younger son, his fiance, and my granddaughter whom I've not yet met, helping to celebrate her second birthday.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ozimax on Fri Aug 26, 2022 4:08 pm

gstark wrote:Take carry-on only.

Then you won't need to carry on when the leprechaun loses your luggage.

Unfortunately, the only solid advice I can offer is to make sure you have a bloody good time, and stay safe and well.

Well said. The sooner the vertically challenged leprechaun departs back to Eye-er-land, the better we’ll all be. And yes, we’ve already practiced just taking carryon. There are ways to get my 27 snow parkas and long John’s hidden in my carryon…. :biglaugh:
ozimax

Postby gstark on Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:46 am

Just remember that you cannot carry your Vegemite in your carry-on. It's considered to be a liquid by those who know these things much more betterer than we might, and they will confiscate it fifthwith.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby zafra52 on Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:02 pm

Safe travels, have many good times and take many photos to share with us.
zafra52

Postby ozimax on Wed Aug 31, 2022 8:53 pm

gstark wrote:Just remember that you cannot carry your Vegemite in your carry-on. It's considered to be a liquid by those who know these things much more betterer than we might, and they will confiscate it fifthwith.

I’m thinking of packing a jar of Promite … just so they can confiscate it :biglaugh:
ozimax

Postby gstark on Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:44 am

ozimax wrote:
gstark wrote:Just remember that you cannot carry your Vegemite in your carry-on. It's considered to be a liquid by those who know these things much more betterer than we might, and they will confiscate it fifthwith.

I’m thinking of packing a jar of Promite … just so they can confiscate it :biglaugh:

Maybe try a stalagmite?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby ozimax on Thu Sep 15, 2022 4:24 pm

I am seriously thinking of only taking an iphone 12 plus an action camera eg super small and light. I've carried heavier gear all over the planet in past decades but not sure if it's worth the effort these days. I'm not working for National Geographic...
ozimax

Postby gstark on Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:17 am

ozimax wrote:I am seriously thinking of only taking an iphone 12 plus an action camera eg super small and light. I've carried heavier gear all over the planet in past decades but not sure if it's worth the effort these days. I'm not working for National Geographic...

Very interesting.

I'm thinking of doing somehing very similar - taking just the Samsung S12 and no real camera when I head to Seattle in a month. I've not considered taking an action camera, however. May need a visit to a Best Buy store once I'm on the west coast ...
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby zafra52 on Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:31 pm

For what it is worth, I travel with my Note 20 Samsung and my old and light Canon sx30 is. The camera has a great zoom and though it is quite old it allows me to take photos at great and safer distances. In my last trip, I took with me a selfie stick that allowed me to hold the mobile better and a mono-pod to stabilize the camera and use as a stick. I have been for years waiting a Canon sx80 hs but to no avail.

Safe and enjoyable travels!
zafra52

Return to General Discussion