Fuji X system - 2 years of use

Unless they get too big for themselves, this is where you can talk about the "other" brands of DSLR's: Konica Minolta / Sony, Pentax / Samsung, Olympus, Horseman, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Postby Geoff M on Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:06 pm

I have been a hobbyist photographer since 1979, that’s 35 years! I started out with a Zenit 35mm film SLR but quickly moved onto the Olympus OM system with an OM30 which was later added to with x2 OM2 SP’s. In 2000, I foolishly ditched all the Oly gear to get into digital and purchased, of all things, a Sony F505 and then ‘upgraded’ to a Sony F707. I fortunately saw the error of my ways and in 2005 bought into Nikon with a D70s and the venerable 18-70 kit lens. Over the next 7 years camera bodies were changed to include D90, D300, D700 and numerous lenses were added during that time. I always hankered after a smaller camera and tried out a number of offerings such as the Nikon P7100, which I still have, and a Panasonic LX5 but neither really did it for me.

In January 2012 I purchased a Fuji XE1 with 18-55 kit lens to see if this system was a viable option for me. My choice was actually influenced by a review posted by ChrisK on this very forum. I was blown away by the output of the files and that little kit lens attached to such a small body. The camera proved to be so portable that it was my go to camera despite having the D300, D700 and numerous f2.8 glass still to hand. The Nikon gear did not see light of day in 6 months. At this point I decided to sell the Nikon gear, some of which was purchased by members of this forum, and even though I loved to use the Nikon, especially that D700, I have no regrets of selling it on, none at all. From the funds raised through the sale of Nikon, I re-invested in Fuji glass which has today escalated to a collection of x9 Fuji lenses. In March 2014 I added a lightly used XPro1 body.

Fuji does have some quirks and frustrations, including the AF ability (of which is now greatly improved through firmware releases and which makes the cameras very different to when they were first released), but for me I have enjoyed photography much more in the past two years than any time before. The bodies just feel right in the hand and are compact and discreet in their use. The lenses (XF range – have not used the XC range) are beautifully engineered, light weight and as sharp, or sharper than any lenses I have used in the past. The downside of the lenses for me is that because they are so good I keep on buying them and now my small kit is not so small!

I have used the X system for travel, portraiture (including in the studio), macro, landscape and just about anything really except sport, but I have rarely ever shot sport. I have shot long exposure, low light, natural light and with studio flash, It has never let me down and trust me, I have put it through its paces in minus 20 degree C to +40 degree C temperatures and it has always been faultless, you just have to make sure that you have plenty of spare batteries! The one problem I continue to have with the XE1 is in a studio environment using studio flash. As it only has an EVF, when the lens is stopped down to f8/f11 it is difficult to see how you are composing the frame as the EVF (and LCD display) are WYSIWYG.

I am looking forward to future developments from Fuji, I believe they will be a much bigger player in the field of ILC bodies. Fuji seems to listen to customer feedback and as such look after their customers with firmware updates improving performance of their product(s) even on the ‘older’ and discontinued bodies which I have. There are numerous new firmware releases due out this week (18/12/14) and both the XE1 and XP1 will see some changes. One could argue that Fuji should have got it right first time but some of these added features just weren't available at release and have become standard on the newer bodies. Where technology on the older bodies allows new updates Fuji just go ahead and release them rather than try to push owners to re-invest in the latest and greatest.
Fuji X-Pro1 | X-E1 | X-T1 | XF14 | XF23 | XF27 | XF35 | XF56 | XF60 | XF10-24 | XF18-55 | XF55-200 | MCEX-11

http://gmarshall.zenfolio.com

http://xtographer.weebly.com
Geoff M

Re: Fuji X system - 2 years of use

Postby Matt. K on Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:14 pm

Must admit I'm a bit of a Fuji fan myself. I can't believe the amount of stuff I used to carry over my shoulder before the advent of digital photography. Try a Hassie with 4 lenses, a Metz potato masher flashgun with a battery as big as a house brick and a tripod made from construction scaffolding. Chuck in 10 rolls of medium format film, spare magazine backs, filters, hoods, cable release and I'm surprised I'm still walking in a straight line. Of course, on the upside, there is nothing quite as beautiful as a 6 X 6cm Hassie B&W negative when you get everything right.
I'm currently holding in my hand a 10 x 8 B&W print on Matte paper of the portrait that I posted on the forum today. It was shot with a Fuji X-Pro and is every bit as good as one of the Hassie images. I now take most of my pics using the Fuji and the 18-55mm lens. The Nikon only comes out for serious flash work or sports, or if I need to use very long focal legth lenses, or if the weather is really appalling, pouring rain etc.
When Fuji produce a camera that can focus as fast as a Nikon SLR then I will be the first to add it to my collection. :agree: :agree:
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby photohiker on Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:07 pm

And now your cameras are new again.

Fuji just released their new firmwares

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital ... table.html

The XT1 especially gets a lot of love including a new film simulation (Classic Chrome) and and an electronic shutter capability up to 1/32,000 sec!

XP1 gets the AF+MF function so you can (apparently) fine tune focus after AF just like I used to be able to on the Canon USM lenses.
photohiker

Postby Geoff M on Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:39 pm

photohiker wrote:And now your cameras are new again.

Fuji just released their new firmwares

http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital ... table.html

The XT1 especially gets a lot of love including a new film simulation (Classic Chrome) and and an electronic shutter capability up to 1/32,000 sec!

XP1 gets the AF+MF function so you can (apparently) fine tune focus after AF just like I used to be able to on the Canon USM lenses.

Already downloaded and installed!

Geoff
Fuji X-Pro1 | X-E1 | X-T1 | XF14 | XF23 | XF27 | XF35 | XF56 | XF60 | XF10-24 | XF18-55 | XF55-200 | MCEX-11

Geoff M

Postby ozimax on Sat Dec 20, 2014 7:50 am

Yep, firmware installed yesterday morning. I'm truly happy with Mr Fujiama's offerings. I have pared back to just a few lenses (18-55,35,60) but these are all I really need. I would like the ultra wide zoom someday but for now I'm a happy camper/snapper.

I did purchase an X100s a few weeks ago, for my constant travels. I have had several versions of the x100 but at $899 (AUD) (brand new genuine Oz stock) the deal was hard to go past. http://www.digidirect.com.au/digital_cameras/fujifilm/fujifilm_x100s_compact_digital_camera_-_silver

Geoff have you used the classic chrome yet?
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby Geoff M on Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:18 pm

Mmmm.....$899 is a good price!

Classic chrome is not available for either the XE1 or XP1. I only shoot RAW so not a great loss for me.

Geoff

Geoff M

Postby bigsarg7 on Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:14 pm

Its amazing how everyones journey is a unique one when it comes to photography. We all started somewhere with something special that we all loved and yet as time goes by we all end up upgrading and finding a new love in a camera. I personally don't own any of the fujifilm cameras but I have to say they are very tempting. If only nikon released something similar that could use all my glass i would be an even happier camper. However, the fujif xt1 is calling my name I swear it. But from what I can gather from this thread is; I will end up spending quite a large sum of money on new glass.......
2 x Fuji xt1,vg-xt1 grip, Fujinon xf 18-55mm 2.8-4, Fujinon xf 14mm, Fujinon 56mm 1.2.
bigsarg7

Postby Matt. K on Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:49 pm

BIgsarge
You can get a moderately priced adaptor to fit Nikon lenses onto Fuji X cameras. You lose auto focussing but a 1 button press to enlarge the live view in the viewfinder or on the back screen allows very accurate manual focus. This increases the versatility of the cameras.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby bigsarg7 on Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:42 pm

There you go, learnt something new. I love my nikon glass. Its taken me years to collect it all.
2 x Fuji xt1,vg-xt1 grip, Fujinon xf 18-55mm 2.8-4, Fujinon xf 14mm, Fujinon 56mm 1.2.
bigsarg7

Return to Other