Fuji Firmware updates: XPro1, XE1, XE2, X100S

Unless they get too big for themselves, this is where you can talk about the "other" brands of DSLR's: Konica Minolta / Sony, Pentax / Samsung, Olympus, Horseman, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Postby photohiker on Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:23 pm

Xpro1, December 5th: http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n131128_03.html
XE1/2, X100S, December 19th: http://www.fujifilm.com/news/n131128_02.html

XPro1 Details:

FUJIFILM X-Pro1: Ver. 3.10

[Main contents of the firmware update]

1. Improve the cover range and accuracy of the bright frame in the OVF

The cover range of the bright frame displaying the shooting area in the optical viewfinder has been improved so that a field of view closer to the actual image can be checked. By maintaining the position of the bright frame with parallax compensation during AF lock, the shooting area can be checked even when letting go of the shutter release.

2. See the exposure setting in live-view and histogram

The images and histogram will reflect current exposure levels (with the shutter speed and aperture set during manual exposure also displayed on the image). In scenarios where the live view and the final shot will appear differently, eg: when using flash, this setting can be turned off.

3. Aperture and shutter speed can be changed once AE lock is selected

The aperture or shutter speed can be changed while maintaining exposure (EV value) with the AE lock button. The photographer has the ability to tweak settings down to the very last moment before shooting.

4. The default and maximum sensitivity and minimum shutter speed can be set when ISO AUTO is selected

When selecting “AUTO” in the ISO setting, users can also set standard ISO, Maximum ISO and a low-speed shutter limit. The Low-speed shutter limit has been extended to 1/500 seconds.

5. New functionality allowing you to edit image filenames

An image filename (DSCF***) is automatically allocated to each picture when shooting, this can now be changed to your filename of choice.* This added functionality is useful when organising the images after shooting, and sorting the images into groups.

Change of numbering for images shot using continuous shooting

When shooting using continuous shooting, only the first image is currently displayed in full screen and subsequent frames are displayed in small on the bottom right, and the file number was set as “S+7-digit number”. With the new firmware, all frames in continuous shooting are displayed as full screen shots in playback. The file number has also been altered to follow numerically as per standard single shots, thereby allowing uniform management of images after shooting.

7. Improvement of RAW file conversion function

When developing RAF images in-camera using the built-in RAW file converter, the firmware upgrade improves the flow by taking you back to the original RAF image once the conversion has been done, whereas before it left you with the converted JPG file on screen and the user had to go back to the next RAF file manually.

Brightframe and AutoISO changes, awesome! :D

Others:

[Contents of the firmware update]

For an overview of improvements to each model please refer to the list below.

<Updates now available for the X-E1, X100S and X-E2>

1. New functionality allowing you to edit image filenames

An image filename (DSCF***) is automatically allocated to each picture when shooting, this can now be changed to your filename of choice.* This added functionality is useful when organising the images after shooting, and sorting the images into groups.

2. Improvement of RAW file conversion function

When developing RAF images in-camera using the built-in RAW file converter, the firmware upgrade improves the flow by taking you back to the original RAF image once the conversion has been done, whereas before it left you with the converted JPG file on screen and the user had to go back to the next RAF file manually.

<Updates available for the X-E1 and X100S>

3. See the exposure setting in live-view and histogram

The images and histogram will reflect current exposure levels (with the shutter speed and aperture set during manual exposure also displayed on the image). In scenarios where the live view and the final shot will appear differently, eg: when using flash, this setting can be turned off.

4. Change of numbering for images shot using continuous shooting

When shooting using continuous shooting, only the first image is currently displayed in full screen and subsequent frames are displayed in small on the bottom right, and the file number was set as “S+7-digit number”. With the new firmware, all frames in continuous shooting are displayed as full screen shots in playback. The file number has also been altered to follow numerically as per standard single shots, thereby allowing uniform management of images after shooting.

5. Aperture and shutter speed can be changed once AE lock is selected

The aperture or shutter speed can be changed while maintaining exposure (EV value) with the AE lock button. The photographer has the ability to tweak settings down to the very last moment before shooting.

<Updates available for the X-E1>

6. The default and maximum sensitivity and minimum shutter speed can be set when ISO AUTO is selected

When selecting “AUTO” in the ISO setting, users can also set standard ISO, Maximum ISO and a low-speed shutter limit. The Low-speed shutter limit has been extended to 1/500 seconds.

<Updates available for the X100S>

7. Improve the cover range and accuracy of the bright frame in the OVF

By maintaining the position of the bright frame with parallax compensation during AF lock, the shooting area can be checked even when letting go of the shutter release.

Got to tip my hat to Fuji, never has a camera company continued to update firmware throughout a camera model's life and beyond. The XE1 is discontinued and the XPRo1 is well over a year old and a replacement is mooted. Fuji recently updated the X100 firmware despite it being discontinued for some months.
photohiker

Re: Fuji Firmware updates: XPro1, XE1, XE2, X100S

Postby aim54x on Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:19 am

It is a double edged sword. I commend Fuji for providing new and improved features for their cameras, but at the same time they did send out a lot of the earlier X cameras with half finished firmware, and even rolled out bugged firmware patches that bricked the camera requiring a trip back to service to fix.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby photohiker on Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:05 am

It's true that the early firmware had some limitations and bugs which have been progressively removed and improved over time. Whilst not perfect, the initial firmware was certainly very usable. I've not heard of any brickings from firmware updates, but it's always a possibility. One XPro firmware (V3.0) was pulled because it introduced a bug in video. I loaded that firmware before the bug was discovered, no problems, the bug wasn't relevant to my usage anyway.

I think you can count the number of camera manufacturers who continually improve firmware and add features to existing and discontinued cameras on one finger. Hopefully, other makers will follow the lead.
photohiker

Postby aim54x on Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:34 pm

photohiker wrote:One XPro firmware (V3.0) was pulled because it introduced a bug in video. I loaded that firmware before the bug was discovered, no problems, the bug wasn't relevant to my usage anyway.

That would have been the culprit.....slightly embarrassing to have a firmware that needs to be withdrawn and camera sent to service to fix. It didn't brick the camera but the commotion of the time must have been enough to give off that impression that I remember to be the case. It certainly was enough of an issue for an official statement to be released asking customers to take their updated cameras to a service centre.

http://www.fujifilm.eu/uk/news/article/news/notice-of-firmware-version-300-for-fujifilm-x-pro1-posted-on-23-jul-2013/

photohiker wrote:I think you can count the number of camera manufacturers who continually improve firmware and add features to existing and discontinued cameras on one finger. Hopefully, other makers will follow the lead.

-Canon released a major firmware update for the 7D (launched 2009) last year, at the time the camera was already well overdue for an update and for the 5DII just days before the 5DIII was launched.
-Olympus released a firmware update to allow the EP3 (launched 2011) to use the VF4, after the EP5 was released.
-Nikon released a firmware update for the D700 (launched 2008) in March this year, after the D800 "replaced" it, other cameras got similar treatment to expand the lens correction databases
--D300/D3 (2007) both saw updates in 2013
--D90/D5000 (2008) also saw updates in 2013
-Sony updated their A65V firmware (v 1.07) late last year, a year after it was launched (Sony works on a 12-18month cycle on their cameras, replaced or not)

I think I have almost filled up your hand....it is not uncommon to continue providing updates after a camera has be "replaced" or "discontinued". Fuji, like many others update the firmware of their cameras well into the life of the camera, even after they have been replaced/discontinued.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby photohiker on Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:05 pm

Sure, I'm not saying no camera maker ever updates their firmware, what I'm saying is that Fuji always updates their firmware. Some of this is due to bugs, but much of it is in response to user requests. Peruse the list of added features on the Fuji list above, and the only of your examples that comes close is the 7D. This list above is for a single Fuji update however. Fuji has released 8 firmware updates for the XPro1 alone since release and the list of added and improved features is impressive.

The internet amplified the impact of the Fuji withdrawn update. The bug affected video, which would be one of the least used features on the camera. Canon introduced a bug on the 5DII v2.0.3 regarding sound recording which they rolled out a correction for in v2.0.4 Then v2.0.7 corrected further bugs in v2.03 and 2.04. Perhaps I missed the noise about that? :) The point is, this is software, and there are so many use cases that the whole thing boils down to chaos. It is not surprising that bugs make it through test occasionally and if an old experienced player like Canon is afflicted, why should we be surprised that a relatively new player like Fuji punts out the odd bug or two? I think a greater misdeed is to leave bugs unfixed and to ignore user requests for software improvements.

Fuji calls their release strategy 'Kaizen' meaning continual updates and innovation in releasing improved firmware. This is quite similar to the open source philosophy of release early - release often popularised by Eric Raymond. (wikipedia) "Release early, release often, and listen to your customers". Given that software is now a major glue holding all of our camera hardware together I suggest this is an excellent strategy.
photohiker

Postby Matt. K on Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:44 pm

Thanks for that info. I will update my camera soon. Degree by degree Fuji improve what is already an excellent camera.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby sirhc55 on Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:24 pm

Not just cameras.

I have the following that have constant updates to firmware/software.

LG TV
Oppo blurays
Yamaha receiver
Xtreamer media centre
IQ2 PS3
Sangean
Toshiba
Dune
and more.

The chips today have the ability to be rewritten to accommodate new features and when they don’t a new model will appear with a new chip.
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby aim54x on Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:53 am

photohiker wrote:Sure, I'm not saying no camera maker ever updates their firmware, what I'm saying is that Fuji always updates their firmware. Some of this is due to bugs, but much of it is in response to user requests. Peruse the list of added features on the Fuji list above, and the only of your examples that comes close is the 7D. This list above is for a single Fuji update however. Fuji has released 8 firmware updates for the XPro1 alone since release and the list of added and improved features is impressive.

The internet amplified the impact of the Fuji withdrawn update. The bug affected video, which would be one of the least used features on the camera. Canon introduced a bug on the 5DII v2.0.3 regarding sound recording which they rolled out a correction for in v2.0.4 Then v2.0.7 corrected further bugs in v2.03 and 2.04. Perhaps I missed the noise about that? :) The point is, this is software, and there are so many use cases that the whole thing boils down to chaos. It is not surprising that bugs make it through test occasionally and if an old experienced player like Canon is afflicted, why should we be surprised that a relatively new player like Fuji punts out the odd bug or two? I think a greater misdeed is to leave bugs unfixed and to ignore user requests for software improvements.

If Fuji always updates their camera firmware...then where is my update for my S5 Pro? t certainly could do with an AF, frame rate and battery life fix (all possible as demonstrated by the D200 which is a close cousin). Fuji is not a "new" player in the industry, they have been around in the digital game from the beginning and have had many film cameras before that. I feel that Fuji falls foul to releasing half finished cameras and progressively unlocks features and improves performance (which begins at a sub par level a lot of the time) as they work it out, rather than releasing a product that is relatively complete. I really wanted to like the Fuji X100 and the Fuji XPro1 but sadly they missed the mark too much (very much like the Nikon Df has) and the constant updates lead me to believe that they just didn't finish the product before rushing it to market...something that is looking to be true across the industry these days.

As for answering user requests....another example is Canon's 1DX and 5D3 updates that provided f/8 focus functionality and the 1Dx patch that returned the backlit AF boxes. Fuji releases a lot of firmware, but they are not the only ones that listen to their customers, they simply have more vocal recognition. They are not the only ones that continue to upgrade abilities (all my examples show that) but at the same time they are the ones that have released sub-par products that they have brought up to speed....the same cannot be said about the D600/D800 or 1D3/1Ds3 fiascos but sadly firmware won't fix their issues. My point being Fuji is not the only player to update firmware, fix bugs, upgrade abilities and introduce new functions....nor are they a "new" player...they are just a company that is riding success on the back of blinded fans.

Truth said, it is worrying that their have been 8 firmware updates on the XPro1....for the technologically inept it is a frightening thing, and for service and support it is a nightmare as you now have 8 versions of the same camera as not everyone will be on the same page. For many of us a firmware update is not a challenge, but for some it is all too hard. I look at 8 firmware updates in 2 years and it looks like a camera that has needed a lot of fixes....half finished and rushed to market...which the XPro1 was. Thankfully it has evolved into a very polished product over this time period...now imagine the satisfaction of haveing today's XPro1 at launch....
Cameron
aim54x

Postby photohiker on Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:43 am

Good grief, sorry to have posted such a challenging comment for you Cameron.

Fuji started a complete new from scratch line of cameras and approach to the photography market with the X100. My comments refer to that entry and subsequent cameras in the X line, not some long discontinued 2006 franken DSLR.

Again, you can pull out multiple examples where other companies update firmware, but you will not find another company that consistently does it across their range of cameras as Fuji does with the X series.

I'm a glass half full kind of guy. Fuji's approach to the development and ongoing support of their cameras suits me perfectly, but clearly, you should stay away from them.

As for your comments about 'blinded fans' I think that is unwarranted and it if it is the intended insult that it appears to be then there is no point in continuing discussion with you.

Photohiker out.
photohiker

Postby Matt. K on Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:11 pm

I'm also a 'blinded fan". I Have been a professional photographer for 26 years and a practicing photographer since 1970. I am conceited enough to think I know a little about cameras and photography. I agree with photohiker and am very impressed with the Fuji X series of cameras. They are quality cameras with a beautiful sensor and superb lenses. They are functional inasmuch as you don't expect to photograph high speed sports, an activity for which they were not designed. The updates are welcome and useful and a bonus to those who were prepared to take the camera on its merits when it was released. As a walk around street camera I would rate the Fuji Xpro and X100s ABOVE the ridiculously priced Leica offerings. Nikon are seeing falling profits because they didn't have the courage to produce the camera that Fuji did. Their recently released DF is a clumsy attempt to cash in on the popularity of the Fuji X series but it is too little too late. The camera is a clear demonstration that they have lost their way. I can say without doubt that my XPRO produces imagery of the same standard...or to within 95%...of the quality of the Nikon D700. I have folders of imagery from both cameras on my computer and as a professional I can't pick between them......except perhaps the Fuji produces better images at high ISOs.
That's my opinion. And if anyone has shares in Leica cameras....I'd be shouting SELL!... (Goes for Hasselblad too)
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby chrisk on Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:59 pm

Great cameras, (in most circumstances), great lens', above average customer service. The x series has without question road mapped how to do shit right. It is perhaps because of this, the fact they seem to listen to customers when other companies seemingly thumb their noses at us, that they have become the most overrated cameras of all time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby aim54x on Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:53 pm

Rooz wrote:Great cameras, (in most circumstances), great lens', above average customer service. The x series has without question road mapped how to do shit right. It is perhaps because of this, the fact they seem to listen to customers when other companies seemingly thumb their noses at us, that they have become the most overrated cameras of all time.

I am glad that I am not the only one that feels that way.

Since it appears that reason is futile here, I will take my leave and let you all fawn over your precious Fuji camera. May the sun shine brightly from the orifices of that camera.

May Fuji be a newcomer because they threw out their line up and restarted...**cough, cough....M4/3 & NX**
May Fuji be the only manufacturer that updates firmware "across their range"...**cough, cough....virtually everyone**
May Fuji be the manufacturer that decided to build a retro-styled mirrorless camera when it became apparent they they could not compete with Canon/Nikon with SLR...**cough, cough....EP1**
May Fuji be the manufacturer "brave" enough to be different....**cough, cough....M4/3 & NX...when did Fuji X come into the game?**

For the rest of us, we can rest assured with the knowledge that Fuji was a latecomer to the retro and mirrorless game, but have produced a product that has matured into a very good product. The rest of us will also sleep soundly knowing that any necessary firmware patches will arrive for our cameras whatever the brand....and that Fuji saw that they could produce a good mirrorless system and seized the opportunity with both hands. Nikon and Canon have been underwhelming in this area, but at the same time they are not pursuing the line of Sony, butchering their SLR/SLT to sell their mirrorless cameras...they have too much invested.

The Fuji X system is definitely a good system with a good set of lenses, but the reality is that they took what was already there and improved it. The only truly unique innovation is the Hybrid OVF....smart idea and executed perfectly from day one. Maybe one day I will find a Fuji X that will part me with my dollars...but until then I will keep looking.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby photohiker on Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:00 am

This thread was created to inform and comment about firmware release for the X series.

photohiker wrote:Again, you can pull out multiple examples where other companies update firmware, but you will not find another company that consistently does it across their range of cameras as Fuji does with the X series.

aim54x wrote:May Fuji be the only manufacturer that updates firmware "across their range"...**cough, cough....virtually everyone**

Again, Again. Just because many cameras get a firmware update does not mean they are served by a progressive update program such as the X series enjoys. These things are not the same.

Thank you for your comment Rooz. If people over rate their cameras on the basis of received customer service, that's hardly a failing of Fuji's customer service.

aim54x wrote:Since it appears that reason is futile here, I will take my leave and let you all fawn over your precious Fuji camera. May the sun shine brightly from the orifices of that camera.

lol please don't wish that, the other cameras are already jealous.

Thanks for dropping in, already looking forward to your input on my next fuji thread. :D
photohiker

Postby chrisk on Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:04 am

I'm not "blaming" fuji in the slightest. They are a wonderful company that produce wonderful products. I think all Cameron is pointing out is that fuji in the social media get a free pass and the longest honeymoon period ever. If the xpro1 was a nikon or canon it would have been bagged endlessly for its woeful AF and functionality...let alone it's ludicrous menu system. In a fuji though this is seen as "quirky".

But people who point that out don't quite get fuji and what they have done for photographers in comparison to m4/3 or nex. And it all starts from the second you get the box, Ever bought a fuji body or lens ? Look at the meticulous care they take in packaging and presentation of their product. It shows immense pride in what they do. Compare that with the woeful efforts from nikon and even worse, olympus. Feels like these other companies try and scrimp on packaging to the very last fraction of a cent and it shows. Buying the 75/1.8 from Olympus, probably the very best lens in olympus' lineup, or even m4/3 period, and it feels like you're unboxing a $100 kit lens. I believe the new em1 has packaging to match the same principal of presenting a quality product from the very first touch and impression.

Sounds ridiculous, but fuji have made you enjoy and relish the tactile feel of even unboxing their products. All of that contributes to the fuji "experience". They have made placebo affect their very own and I salute them for that intelligence.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby photohiker on Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:49 am

:agree:

Although I would point out that Fuji had substantial bagging in social media regarding the focus and xtrans raw conversion. They still cop a bit.

Perhaps it's quirky, but I see it more as 'different'. The cameras, esp the HybridVF versions, demand time spend familiarising with the operation of the camera. This is not your father's Nikon :) Some people could not hack having to relearn and dumped the cameras in short order with negative social media posts. Like even the worst menu systems, once the cam is set up to your needs, there is little menu diving required, and of course, Fuji did their thing improving button functionality over successive firmware updates. The Q menu was a neat bandaid that solved a lot of early frustrations.

Anyway, 3 more days to new firmware :)
photohiker

Postby ozimax on Sun Dec 01, 2013 6:36 pm

Hurrah, now my XP1 at last will have ability to set minimum shutter speed in auto ISO. This camera (when attached to the 35mm lens) is as good as any. The focussing abilities are now top notch. All credit to Mr Fujiama. :up:
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby Geoff M on Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:07 pm

Another blinded Fuji fanboy here too.

I am more than happy with my move to Fuji from Nikon having absolutely no regrets.

I was happy with the performance from the set go, so additional improvements from firmware releases are just a bonus for me.

Thanks for the heads up Photohiker! The downside for me with this batch of updates is I will be travelling overseas when the XE1 update is released and I may not have access to the net.
Fuji X-Pro1 | X-E1 | X-T1 | XF14 | XF23 | XF27 | XF35 | XF56 | XF60 | XF10-24 | XF18-55 | XF55-200 | MCEX-11

http://gmarshall.zenfolio.com

http://xtographer.weebly.com
Geoff M

Postby photohiker on Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:21 pm

Geoff M wrote: The downside for me with this batch of updates is I will be travelling overseas when the XE1 update is released and I may not have access to the net.

Surely there are internet cafe's and camera shops where you're going?

Otherwise one of us could post a SD card with the update on it to one of your stops. Of course, this would mean there would be a microscopic risk of bricking your camera whilst on your trip, probably not such a good idea...

Blinded fuji fans should stick together. :mrgreen:
photohiker

Postby Geoff M on Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:43 am

photohiker wrote:
Geoff M wrote: The downside for me with this batch of updates is I will be travelling overseas when the XE1 update is released and I may not have access to the net.

Surely there are internet cafe's and camera shops where you're going?

Otherwise one of us could post a SD card with the update on it to one of your stops. Of course, this would mean there would be a microscopic risk of bricking your camera whilst on your trip, probably not such a good idea...

Blinded fuji fans should stick together. :mrgreen:

I will be in Rovaneami, Finland when it is released. I will have a laptop with me so should be OK. I can wait until my return to OZ for the update If necessary. Not having the update won't be to the cameras detriment.

Geoff
Fuji X-Pro1 | X-E1 | X-T1 | XF14 | XF23 | XF27 | XF35 | XF56 | XF60 | XF10-24 | XF18-55 | XF55-200 | MCEX-11

http://gmarshall.zenfolio.com

http://xtographer.weebly.com
Geoff M

Postby Matt. K on Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:44 pm

Finland. The land of fins? :shock: :shock: :shock:
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Return to Other