New Fuji X-Pro 1 Announcement

Unless they get too big for themselves, this is where you can talk about the "other" brands of DSLR's: Konica Minolta / Sony, Pentax / Samsung, Olympus, Horseman, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Postby photohiker on Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:50 am

Hot on the tails of the Nikon DSLR 'Announcement' Rumour, we have the clearest information ever on the new Fuji Mirrorless. :mrgreen:

* Sensor is an all new Fuji 'Organic' Sensor. 16Mp APS-C, no anti-aliasing filter.
* Hybrid Viewfinder
* 17.7mm flange distance
* 3 lenses at launch: 18mm (27mm equivalent) f/2.0, 35mm (53mm equivalent) f/1.4 and 60mm (90mm equivalent) f/2.4
* Kit price of 1300 Euro with the 35mm lens, other lenses 600 euro each.

Fuji makes great claims about their new sensor. They reckon it will beat the image quality of all current fullframe sensors. The photosites will be of 6 different colors and disposed randomly, therefore moire will be avoided.

The real announcement is rumoured be next Tuesday or Wednesday. :)

Mirrorless Rumors post on the X-Pro 1
photohiker

Re: New Fuji X-Pro 1 Announcement

Postby Matt. K on Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:33 pm

This just might be the DSLR breaker I have been waiting for. Looking forward to hearing more about this baby.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby photohiker on Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:02 pm

And now it's official. FujiFilm X Pro 1

Fuji are claiming resolution to challenge 5Dmk2 out of the system with their new sensor.

No IS and no zooms yet, although zooms are expected in 2013.

All sounds positive, could be expensive. No official prices out yet, but $1600 for the body and $600 for the lenses is being bandied about. Be interesting to see how it handles and if it lives up to claims.
photohiker

Postby Matt. K on Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:16 pm

Looks like Fuji are in it to win. Perhaps caught Nikon and Canon napping but this is the camera they should have made...if the promises fulfill. Check out this sample image for an idea of what this baby may be capable of. This is quite stunning

http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digita ... o1_005.JPG
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby chrisk on Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:41 pm

Not quite sure what the big deal is. Unless the sensor is a real winner, and i mean significantly so, I don't see the appeal. It sure looks gorgeous though.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby aim54x on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:44 pm

This may be the one for me.....but then again it may not be....

That image sure looks good though!
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Matt. K on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:32 am

Rooz
The apeal for me is a small, beautifully machined Leica- like affordable camera with high quality interchangable lenses that produces imagery comparable to a full framed, heavy, noisy, mirror slapping, intimidating hunk of a camera that eventually warps your spine from its sheer bulk. If the camera lives up to its hype, that is. So far the sample images are breathtaking and I eagerly await the reviews. There is no doubting that Fuji are able to manufacture optics as good as the best of them and if the new sensor lives up to claims then they might just deliver something very special.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby surenj on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:56 am

Matt, that image looks super but it's only ISO 200. It would be interesting to compare with DSLR ISO 200 samples from the same scene.
surenj

Postby chrisk on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:59 am

Matt. K wrote:Rooz
The apeal for me is a small, beautifully machined Leica- like affordable camera with high quality interchangable lenses that produces imagery comparable to a full framed, heavy, noisy, mirror slapping, intimidating hunk of a camera that eventually warps your spine from its sheer bulk. If the camera lives up to its hype, that is. So far the sample images are breathtaking and I eagerly await the reviews. There is no doubting that Fuji are able to manufacture optics as good as the best of them and if the new sensor lives up to claims then they might just deliver something very special.

lol your written imagery is as compelling as your photographic imagery.

If it lives up to the hype, yeah I guess its a really nice machine. That is a big if though, they are making big claims.

I don't see the sample images being uniquely breathtaking personally. Just like I don't quite see a breathtaking difference, (in a quantitative camera performance sense), of the images you have been creating with the fuji x10 and any other camera you've used. I can't see much being done that is not able to be achieved by any other comparably priced camera.

I like where fuji are going with this but I think there is a significant placebo effect with these fujis cos they look and feel awesome in the hands. I'm not saying thats a bad things at all. Just saying that I think the actual camera performance is not as profound as the comments being made.
chrisk

Postby aim54x on Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:27 am

Fuji has delivered the goods in terms of image quality in the X100 and X10, so hopefully the X-Pro 1 will do so as well. I am not too worried about the lens quality, but more so the menu system and fine handling, things that Fuji seems to miss the mark on all the time.

This looks like one hell of a camera though
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby photohiker on Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:59 am

aim54x wrote: I am not too worried about the lens quality, but more so the menu system and fine handling, things that Fuji seems to miss the mark on all the time.

Agree re lens quality. Also can't see Fuji dropping the ball on the sensor.

Fujiguys on youtube have done a bit of a hands-on. In the second of the series they do a bit of a walk through the menus. Sure looks like Fuji has listened to the criticisms of the X100 menus:

Fuji Guys Fujifilm X-Pro1 Hands-on Preview (2/2)

Fujiguys also cover the controls and the changes in them to minimise inadvertent altering - another criticism of the X100 (they do they blether on. Sometimes I think it's better to watch some videos without sound).

From the look of it, I think they are on a winner here. We still have to see focus and general camera performance though. There's some night shots of Hong Kong Harbour on Flickr here, they look impressive too.

Michael
photohiker

Postby Remorhaz on Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:26 pm

D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Postby photohiker on Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:12 pm

Also, DPReview has posted a video walkthrough showing the menus and some real time turn-on and shooting examples. Seems snappy enough.

Fujifilm X-Pro1 walkthrough with Kayce Baker

Kayce Baker being a Fujifilm person apparently.

Have to stop looking at this camera or I'll have to buy one. :biglaugh:
photohiker

Postby ozimax on Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:01 pm

True Matt, I echo your sentiments entirely.

I am 100% happy with the images from my 5Dii & assorted lens, but it's a monster beast to lug around.

I owned an x100 last year and again, a sensational camera except that I couldn't focus the thing.

Maybe this new Fuji will be the bees knees, although I expect that it will be unobtanium for a long time.

Very interesting times indeed.
President, A.A.A.A.A (Australian Association Against Acronym Abuse)
Canon EOS R6, RF 24-105 F4, RF 70-200 F4, RF 35mm F1.8, RF 16mm F2.8
"And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." (John 8:32)
ozimax

Postby Matt. K on Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:58 pm

Rooz
There's a lot of truth in what you say, but what's been missing in the world of photography from my point of view is a smaller, high quality camera that can be used for professional purposes without having the footprint of a DSLR. The only camera to come close is the Leica M9 and at around $12000 or whatever the ridiculous price is...it's only available to the very wealthy. It's a well worn axiom that photographers make photographs and not cameras....and I know this to be true up to a point....but to get a high quality high rez image capable of making a very large print from a smaller camera is something I want, and hopefully the Fuji lives up to the current hype. So far its shaping up.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K

Postby chrisk on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:36 pm

How much smaller is it than say a d5100 ? It looks pretty big to me.
I think what's peaked my interest in particular is the sensor design losing the AA filter.
chrisk

Postby Steffen on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:41 pm

Rooz wrote:Not quite sure what the big deal is. Unless the sensor is a real winner, and i mean significantly so, I don't see the appeal. It sure looks gorgeous though.

It would help in situations like this, I suppose:

http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/11/26989 ... -confusion

:violin:

Cheers
Steffen.
lust for comfort suffocates the soul
Steffen

Postby photohiker on Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:56 pm

Rooz wrote:How much smaller is it than say a d5100 ? It looks pretty big to me.
I think what's peaked my interest in particular is the sensor design losing the AA filter.

http://camerasize.com/compare/#162,258 <-- Cool site! :)

So Wider than the 5100 by 12.5mm, but shorter (14.7mm), thinner (36.2mm), and lighter (110g). Once you add lenses, the gap would widen further.
photohiker

Postby Murray Foote on Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:04 am

There's also another DPReview post with "leaked" lenses due: http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/01/10 ... lm_Roadmap. Interestingly, they also say first in a series of cameras....

Definitely looks impressive. Very much targetted at Leica but much cheaper and with autofocus. Lack of a low pass filter means lower flange size which in turn aids with compact lenses, which is more of a constraint for a coat-pocketable camera than body size.

The claim of full-sensor equivalent quality could turn out to be true, we will see before too long. Could be a great travel camera, especially with a few more lenses.
Murray Foote

Postby photohiker on Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:03 am

Fuji has posted a greater range of image samples on their website. These are OOC jpegs.

Fuji X Pro1 Sample Images

If you've been there before, you need to shift-refresh to see the new examples (there is currently 30 images on the page)
photohiker

Postby surenj on Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:55 am

ISO 1600 looks good on prelim look. The image presented has alot of bokeh in the underexposed areas so a little tricky.

On a side note, what does it take to get some high ISO pictures of any new camera with the whole image in focus etc... :wink:
surenj

Postby PiroStitch on Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:26 am

Looks like a great camera however the price tag of $2400USD is still quite high. One thing to note was Fuji admitting that the AF would be slow on the production models. If you plan on using this for any sort of documentary photography, that could make things more difficult - yes a workaround is to pre-focus, etc.

Personally I wouldn't get it, but that's purely because I don't have a need for it. It's interesting to see what else is coming out in the photography world.
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby surenj on Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:00 pm

I agree, that's way too expensive!!

[quote= "Gizmodo"]
Oh, speaking of which: X-Pro1 should be ready at the end of February for around (*gulp!*) $US2400. [/quote]
surenj

Postby photohiker on Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:16 pm

surenj wrote:ISO 1600 looks good on prelim look. The image presented has alot of bokeh in the underexposed areas so a little tricky.

On a side note, what does it take to get some high ISO pictures of any new camera with the whole image in focus etc... :wink:

Well, you could have a look here. Hugo Poon apparently had access to a pre-production camera for a few days, and has posted some OOC jpegs. There is also a X-Pro1 group created on flickr with low res versions from a couple of snappers.

Fuji does say that the focus will not be as fast as a good DSLR, but they also say it will be a lot better than the X100. Doesn't sound like it would be a great sports camera, but then DSLR rules for that...

IMO the internet babble has only raised one real make-or-break feature - is that sensor up to scratch? I agree that it is not a cheap camera. I don't think it was ever intended to be though.
photohiker

Postby surenj on Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:10 pm

photohiker wrote:Well, you could have a look here.

:shock: Those ISO 2500, 3200 are primo. Noice.
surenj

Return to Other