Olympus E-P2 Announced

Unless they get too big for themselves, this is where you can talk about the "other" brands of DSLR's: Konica Minolta / Sony, Pentax / Samsung, Olympus, Horseman, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Olympus E-P2 Announced

Postby gstark on Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:39 pm

FYI.

After seeing rumours and leaks over the last few days, I've just received the official press release for the Olympus E-P2, which is an update to the E-P1.

Here's the text of the press release.

Olympus wrote:Olympus continues to revolutionise the digital photography market with the launch of the new stylish and artistic PEN E-P2 Micro Four Thirds interchangeable lens system camera with detachable Live Viewfinder

The digital camera market continues to transform with the launch of the new Olympus PEN E-P2. Delivering high-resolution digital SLR image quality in a compact size synonymous with the Olympus PEN E-P1, the Olympus PEN E-P2 boasts enhanced usability with the addition of a VF-2 Live Viewfinder and new creative Art Filter effects to encourage creative expression for both still photography and movie capture.

The Olympus E-P2 is the latest member to join the Olympus PEN camera range. Building on the innovation and creative capabilities of the E-P1, this new model similarly eliminates the traditional digital-SLR quick-return mirror and uses a SLR-sized image sensor. This results in a radically compact and highly portable interchangeable lens camera that takes superb SLR quality pictures.

A new detachable high-definition VF-2 Live Viewfinder that is included with the E-P2 takes the PEN shooting experience to a new level with its superbly clear 1.44 million dot resolution and a 100 per cent field of view. This new electronic viewfinder allows you to see real-time previews of selected settings before taking a photo and is especially useful for bright outdoor shooting. With a sophisticated optical design that utilises aspheric lens elements, distortion is minimal and live picture quality is outstandingly clear across the entire viewing frame. The VF-2 attaches to the E-P2 body via a new accessory port.

Expanding the range of Art Filters to eight with an additional two new filters, the Olympus E-P2 encourages you to express your creative genius in both still shooting and movie capture modes. Making it easy for virtually anyone to take more creative photos, the new Diorama and Cross Process filters allow you to recreate effects reminiscent of those achieved through selective focusing with a tilt-lens and traditional film processing methods.

A new picture mode, i-ENHANCE, works to ensure the key photographic subject stands out with exceptional clarity and presence. i-ENHANCE can also be used in iAUTO mode for users who prefer easy fuss-free automatic exposure photography, popular on the Olympus range of compact digital cameras. The Olympus PEN E-P2 also offers HD movie recording at 720p resolution with CD quality stereo sound, and the ability to apply Art Filter effects to movie capture.

Olympus’ Product Manager, Ray Okubo commented: “Just like the Olympus PEN E-P1 launched earlier this year, the Olympus PEN E-P2 is set to revolutionise the digital camera market. Its sophisticated and stylish form complemented by the latest innovative features is set to give both beginners and more experienced photographers the chance to take their photography skills to a completely new level.”

Key features:

· Iconic, classic design: Mirror-less design for light, go-anywhere portability with metal exterior for a premium, high quality feel

· Effortless creativity for powerful images: Shooting functions include an expanded range of eight Art Filters, including the new Diorama and Cross Process filters and an i-ENHANCE Picture mode that make the key photographic subject standout with exceptional clarity and presence. Like the PEN E-P1, the Olympus PEN E-P2 offers HD movie and CD quality linear PCM audio recording with the ability to apply Art Filter effects to movie recordings

· New accessory port expands possibilities: In response to feedback from many PEN E-P1 users the new Olympus PEN E-P2 includes a new accessory port enabling the use of the VF2 – a detachable high definition Live Viewfinder

· Even easier to use: A live control icon display allows for easy, intuitive selection of camera settings, while Continuous-Tracking AF makes focusing on moving subjects easier than ever

· Built-in Image Stabiliser: The E-P2 features a sensor-shift image-stabiliser (IS) built into the camera body that is effective up to 4 shutter speeds for handheld photography. Image stabilisation can be applied to almost any lens mounted to the camera body, inclusive of Micro Four Thirds and Four Thirds types lenses (via the MMF-1 lens adapter) without lens-based IS capability, and even non-dedicated lenses such as legacy OM (via the MF-2 mount adapter) and other brand lenses (via suitable third-party lens mount adapters).

The Olympus E-P2 will be available in a stylish black finish with a stainless steel and aluminium clad body. Scheduled for release in Australia in December 2009, pricing is yet to be announced. For detailed product and accessory descriptions, please visit www.olympus.com.au.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: Olympus E-P2 Announced

Postby chrisk on Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:03 pm

nothing says "we screwed up the first time" more clearly than an "enhanced" model being released less than 6 months after the first. lol
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby xerubus on Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:07 pm

Having a look at the product page on their website. Is it just me or do the art filters just do simple levels and blurs that you can do in photoshop? And does the orange in the sunset shot look completely blown after saturation?
http://www.markcrossphotography.com - A camera, glass, and some light.
xerubus

Postby surenj on Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:40 pm

Rooz wrote:nothing says "we screwed up the first time" more clearly than an "enhanced" model being released less than 6 months after the first. lol

:agree: How would you feel if you had bought the EP1? :?
surenj

Postby aim54x on Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:57 pm

I was told a while back that there were three models in the line up. Now that we have the second...the higher end model maybe we will get the rumored 3rd model...a stripped back version.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby chrisk on Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:19 am

from what i can see on the specs this isnt really a step up version though is it ?
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby surenj on Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:46 pm

Rooz wrote:from what i can see on the specs this isnt really a step up version though is it ?

:idea:

I am assuming this is made for a amateur female audience who can't be bothered carrying a DSLR.

2 art modes + i-enhance hardly seems an upgrade.

I am not sure about whether the target audience wants an obtrusive viewfinder sticking out of their otherwise compact camera delivering blistering AF and IQ.
surenj

Return to Other