What lenses should i be buying? (Olympus E-510)

Unless they get too big for themselves, this is where you can talk about the "other" brands of DSLR's: Konica Minolta / Sony, Pentax / Samsung, Olympus, Horseman, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

What lenses should i be buying? (Olympus E-510)

Postby bigsarg7 on Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:21 pm

Hi there everyone,
My name is Kristen, I am 25 and really wanting to take my photography of children to the next level. I have joined the forum to meet and learn off some other people much like myself. So, hello! A little bit about me, I am married and have 3 gorgeous kids who love to pose and be my models heheh, and i love photography.(Still learning though)

I brought the Olympus E-510 in July 07 and in all honesty i have enjoyed every minute of its use. I purchased the dual lens pack, but i am wanting to know what other lenses out there can I use on my camera. This is my first ever DSLR, previsouly only owned point and shoots (o how i hate them now).

My long term goal and what i really intend to do with the camera is to take photo's of children and families for a profit. The current lenses are great but are there better lenses i should be using?

I also have another question, I hate the pop up flash it drives me up the wall, (the only real downfall i've found with the camera) is there only the one flash for it? (fl-36r flash) ?
2 x Fuji xt1,vg-xt1 grip, Fujinon xf 18-55mm 2.8-4, Fujinon xf 14mm, Fujinon 56mm 1.2.
bigsarg7

Re: What lenses should i be buying? (Olympus E-510)

Postby aim54x on Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:55 pm

Welcome to the forum, I am glad to hear that you have loved your DSLR and would like to firstly point out that I am myself a Nikon user, but have had a little experience with the Olympus system.

As for portrait lenses for the Olympus system have a look at http://www.four-thirds.org/en/products/lense.html for the full range, but I would recommend investing in either the Panasonic (Leica) 25mm f/1.4 or the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 as they are fast prime lenses that will allow you to take those snapshots that make the children stand out from the background. If you wanted a zoom then consider the Panasonic (Leica) 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5.

As to answer your question regarding the flash, Olympus currently has 4 flashes in its line up FL-50, FL-50R, FL-36 and FL-36R http://www.olympus.com.au/component/option,com_product/task,category/id,10/Itemid,69/ the R models being compatible with the wireless multi flash system (currently only available with the Olympus E-3). The FL-50/R is more powerful than the FL-36/R but at the same time more expensive, do a little more reading, but the FL-36 will most likely suit your needs.

Cheers
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby bigsarg7 on Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:21 am

thanks cameron, i'll be sure to check out those links, i really appreciate it. Look forward to speaking in the forums again soon, kristen
2 x Fuji xt1,vg-xt1 grip, Fujinon xf 18-55mm 2.8-4, Fujinon xf 14mm, Fujinon 56mm 1.2.
bigsarg7

Postby soarer on Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:30 am

Hi there Kristen,

I have an E-3 and use the 14-54mm f2.8 -3.5. For portraits it is more than enough, just wack it on to 54mm and you get nice photos with it, the lens is also super fast compared to the kit lens. If you ever head into the city you're more than welcome to try out my lens to see what you think. You can pick up a 14-54mm for around $800 these days brand new. The next one up is the 12-60mm but that will be closer to the $1300 mark. If you are only looking at taking portraits then the 50mm f2 is a fantastic lens. Extremely sharp and was voted the best digital macro prime lens at luminous landscape. But you will be spending close on $800 for a prime lens.

As for flashes, You won't be able to use any of the 'R' flashes as the e-510 doesnt have the feature to control them. I have the Fl-36 i bought a few years back and thats fine for most things, I'm looking at upgrading to the FL-50R soon, so if you're interested i will be selling my FL-36 for $250 :mrgreen: I find the onboard flash useless so i have never used it. Check out my gallery to see what the 14-54mm is capable of.
Olympus E-3, 14-54mm f2.8
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamt
soarer

Postby aim54x on Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:22 am

Yey an Olympus user that is able to help!! 14-54mm sounds a lot cheaper than that Leica!!
Cameron
aim54x

Postby bigsarg7 on Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:18 pm

fantastic, all info has been appreciated, i have got so much info now to go through so thank you all so much. Does anyone suggest buying lenses etc off ebay? or steer clear? i buy other things off there regularly but lenses etc are or seem a bit risky or does everyone think its safe enough to do? thanks again!!
bigsarg7

Postby aim54x on Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:41 pm

bigsarg7 wrote:fantastic, all info has been appreciated, i have got so much info now to go through so thank you all so much. Does anyone suggest buying lenses etc off ebay? or steer clear? i buy other things off there regularly but lenses etc are or seem a bit risky or does everyone think its safe enough to do? thanks again!!

I would steer clear of buying lenses off ebay unless it is a seller that is known to be reliable. In the case of Olympus four-thirds lenses I am unaware of any good sellers. If you decide to go with any of the Sigma lenses then feel free to find the best internet price you can then go to CR Kennedy and tell them and they will happily match that price, giving you Australian stock with Australian warranty and good service (if only they were that efficient when they deal with retailers!!).
Cameron
aim54x

Postby bigsarg7 on Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:47 pm

CR Kennedy? I have never heard of them, don't want to annoy everyone with question after question but who are they? just so if i can get a better price i know whom i am dealing with hehehe, thanks
bigsarg7

Postby aim54x on Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:33 pm

bigsarg7 wrote:CR Kennedy? I have never heard of them, don't want to annoy everyone with question after question but who are they? just so if i can get a better price i know whom i am dealing with hehehe, thanks

http://www.crkennedy.com.au
They are the Australian importers for SIGMA lenses. They are generally not a retailer, but a wholesaler but have a very interesting policy for grey market SIGMA , just scroll to the last section of this page linked below!
http://www.crkennedy.com.au/v1/index.cfm?pageID=465&pageRef=179&CFID=878132&CFTOKEN=30988184
Cameron
aim54x

Postby bigsarg7 on Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:51 pm

do the sigma lenses connect on like the lens kit i purchased with the camera or would i need a connecter sort of thingy, (never used one b4 obviously ehheh)
bigsarg7

Postby aim54x on Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:10 pm

bigsarg7 wrote:do the sigma lenses connect on like the lens kit i purchased with the camera or would i need a connecter sort of thingy, (never used one b4 obviously ehheh)

SIGMA lenses come in all sorts of mounts (Nikon F-mount, Canon EF-mount, Pentax K-mount, Sony Alpha-mount AND Four-Thirds mount - Olympus, Leica, Panasonic DSLR mount) so if you buy tthe four-thirds mount lenses you will be fine. However be warned that you will have to order them if you go via a store as not many stores carry much four-thirds mount lenses in stock, so you are better off dealing with CR Kennedy directly.
Cameron
aim54x

Return to Other