Pentax K20D & SMC-M Lens

Unless they get too big for themselves, this is where you can talk about the "other" brands of DSLR's: Konica Minolta / Sony, Pentax / Samsung, Olympus, Horseman, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Pentax K20D & SMC-M Lens

Postby trublubiker on Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:27 pm

Hi all

Loving my new K20D and slowly working my way through all the menus and settings.
Bought it with the basic (very) Pentax 18-55 kit lens and have since acquired a
SMC Pentax-M 1:1.7 50mm (love it, sharp as a tack) and a SMC Pentax-M 1:4.5 80-200mm
zoom, both nice solid metal lens that seem to inspire more confidence than the newer
plastic offerings. Being 'M' series lens, manual focusing is obviously mandatory as is
manual setting of the apperture.

Is there any way I can edit the exif data to include apperture settings?

My next acquisition is a 1:1 Macro, maybe the Tamron SP AF 90mm 2.8 or similar.

Cheers

trublubiker
trublubiker

Re: Pentax K20D & SMC-M Lens

Postby Biggzie on Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:33 pm

Not automatically because there is no electrical contacts between the lens and body to say what settings are being used.
You could edit the notes section of the exif data, but I cant see that you can edit the aperature data.
Nunquam requîrere a aptus occãsiõ ad claudere sûrsum
Biggzie

Postby trublubiker on Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:23 pm

Thanks Biggzie, just what I suspected. Guess I should have waited and got an 'A' series lens.
It's just going to take a bit longer to establish my preferred settings for DOF and bokeh.

It's the ability to use the old 'trial & error' method without costing you a small fortune in processing
costs that initially attracted me to getting a DSLR. I guess I can keep a note, shot by shot, and add
a note in the caption re Aperture setting.

Thanks again

trublubiker
trublubiker

Postby Biggzie on Fri Jun 20, 2008 4:51 pm

You'l get aperture with the A series, but not always the focal legnth ... depends on the lens.(in the EXIF)

Might I suggest that you setup some controlled situations at different distances and take a series of photos going through the aperture range so you can see the results. As you can see the results you can then gradualy apply it to real life situations.
The only thing I miss with M series is that they dont tell you through the veiwfinder what aperature they are set to.
Nunquam requîrere a aptus occãsiõ ad claudere sûrsum
Biggzie

Postby Big Red on Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:02 pm

not much to add about the M lenses but the Tamron is a really great lens although i do like the Pentax FA 100/2.8 better as it is a touch warmer.
Big Red

Postby trublubiker on Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:07 pm

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I really like the 'M' 50mm 1.7 but do miss not seeing the aperture setting in the viewfinder. I'll look out for an 'A' 1.4 or 1.7 and will probably keep the 'M' as a backup because I love it, and with the resolution of the K20D you can crop and still get more than passable macro shots.

I'm really keen to get a good 1:1 Macro and the deal I've seen on fleabay for the Tamron 90 is looking good.

trublubiker
trublubiker

Return to Other