MAMIYA 645AFD options

Unless they get too big for themselves, this is where you can talk about the "other" brands of DSLR's: Konica Minolta / Sony, Pentax / Samsung, Olympus, Horseman, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

MAMIYA 645AFD options

Postby Heath Bennett on Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:05 pm

My 645AFD isn't working at all at the moment:

I'm after advice as to whether I should just buy a new body or get the curtain fixed. I know very little about this kind of repair thing, and camera repairs in general. Never had a problem before. This happened after 100 shots were fired with nice new batteries on the weekend.

I can probably get an eBay replacement for $600-$1000, or is repair the better option?

Thanks for any replies, this is a painful situation to be in.
HB
Heath Bennett

Re: MAMIYA 645AFD options

Postby the foto fanatic on Tue Apr 01, 2008 10:40 pm

I guess the best thing would be to get a quote for repair.
Then you can decide.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby gstark on Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:09 am

Heath,

What Trevor said. Until you know the cost of the options, you can't really make a true value judgment.

As an interesting side note, I once had a Mamiya 645. It exhibited shutter problems very early in its life, requiring repairs under warranty within the first couple of months of ownership. After getting the repaired camera back, the problems reappeared within a week.

That's when I moved to Bronica.

The shutter problem I saw was nothing like this though; it was failing to synch properly. Has your's lost a screw?
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:43 am

From a technical viewpoint, in relation to this specific problem with Mamiyas - ouch!!!

Can't offer any other advice.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Grev on Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:55 am

Should get a second body anyway I think.

Those replacements you said must be the kit with the body, AE finder, 80mm f2.8 and 120 back, yes?
Blog: http://grevgrev.blogspot.com
Deviantart: http://grebbin.deviantart.com

Nikon: D700 / D70 / AiS 28mm f2 / AiS 35mm f1.4 / AiS 50mm f1.2 / AiS 180mm f2.8 ED / AFD 85mm f1.4 / Sigma 50mm f1.4 / Sigma 24-70 f2.8 macro / Mamiya 80mm f1.9 x2 /Mamiya 120mm f4 macro
Grev

Postby Heath Bennett on Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:29 pm

I have found a replacement quite cheaply, body only, no film back or 80mm. $600ish... I think I should just buy that and sell my nikon 1.7TC to make it a little less painful. Never use the TC anyway! Then I can still use the back in the meantime while researching repair options.

Thanks everyone.
HB
Heath Bennett

Postby Heath Bennett on Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:03 pm

gstark wrote:
That's when I moved to Bronica.

The shutter problem I saw was nothing like this though; it was failing to synch properly. Has your's lost a screw?

What do you think of Contax?

I don't think that it has lost a screw because there is no loose screw rattling around inside.

The $600 replacement body fell through, so it seems that I am going to get a quote from a few places around Sydney. Anyone have ideas of a good repair place for Mamiya's?
HB
Heath Bennett

Postby gstark on Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:19 pm

Heath Bennett wrote:What do you think of Contax?

I've never had a play with one, but they do come very highly recommended. Glass is superb. Rollie may be worth a look at too. Of course that means new glass.

I don't think that it has lost a screw because there is no loose screw rattling around inside.

Might have been lost between the body and the film back.

From the photo you posted, there are two screws visible on the errant shutter blade mount, but there also seems to be another screw hole near the top of that mount, and it seems as if it may be missing a screw.

The $600 replacement body fell through, so it seems that I am going to get a quote from a few places around Sydney. Anyone have ideas of a good repair place for Mamiya's?

Any reputable place should be able to handle this job; it's a mechanical shutter. Try Whilton on Elizabeth St between Bathurst and Liverpool Streets.
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Reschsmooth on Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:38 pm

L&P are the Aussie distributors for Mamiya and can repair it for you. Possibly can more easily get parts?
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Heath Bennett on Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:22 pm

Sent to Whilton on Elizabeth St - they do free quotes on film cameras (not so for digital). Thanks again
HB
Heath Bennett

Postby PiroStitch on Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:20 pm

Sorry to re-dig this old thread out, but had a question about the AFD. Can the AFD use the old 645 leaf lenses? I'm assuming not since there's a curtain on the 645 AFD body already?
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby gstark on Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:22 pm

Wayne,

I believe that it should be able to.

My recollection is that all of the Mamiya 645s have the FP shutter built in, but the leaf lenses were always an option regardless. Is there a manual available online that you could review?

What are you looking at, if I may be so bold?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby PiroStitch on Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:20 pm

Thanks Gary.

I'm looking at getting into MF and pretty much anything with leaf shutter capabilities but also with a view to having the ability to attach a digi back to it...no I'm not in the position to buy a digi back yet :P

I've been having a look at the Hasselblad 501 c/m, 503 c/w as well as the Mamiya AFD...but now just found out about the Bronica ETRs. I'm mindful that I'll be buying into a system (again) so wanting to get bang for buck without stuffing myself up for the future.
PiroStitch

Postby gstark on Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:59 pm

Wayne,

In the 645 realm, I think you'd be hard pressed to get better than an ETRs, and price wise, they're bloody good value too (these days).

And you'd also be in good company too: Patrick has one (well, Alicia, actually) as do I.

While I'm not averse to Mamiya, a poor example of a M645J was the direct reason that I have an ETRs. My 645 had a shutter issue - bad sync speed - within a month of purchase, and a fix under warranty only saw the problem recur within days. I cannot comment on whether this would be typical - I would like to think not - but it was enough to put me off.

Being an issue with sync speed, most users probably wouldn't even notice the issue, but I was using flash for maybe 85% of my work at the time, and a dark band across about half the frame was difficult to ignore. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:05 pm

The ETR-S has a number of advantages, as Gary has pointed out:

1. Low entry price - you can get a full kit (body, metered prism finder, 2-3 lenses, back(s)) for under $1k.
2. Value per roll - 15 shots per 120 roll.
3. Portability - it is a truly hand-holdable MF slr.
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby PiroStitch on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:10 pm

Thanks for the advice Gary and Patrick :)

From what i've just seen of the Bronica, within the last half hour, looks like the way to go. I did want to go down the Mamiya path but the lack of a leaf shutter support put me off, well more so that I couldn't find any answers even though I asked around as well as hunted online.

Hassie would be good, but still a tad exy for a 2nd hand kit.

With MF I guess it's alright to start off with say a Bronnie then upgrade to a Hassie later on as the bodies won't devalue as quickly as say a DSLR? :mrgreen:
PiroStitch

Postby Reschsmooth on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:33 pm

The one thing I am not sure about with the Bronnie is the ability to attach a digital back - whilst I understand you can get an adaptor plate, I would imaging the 645AFD would be a better match. That said, looking at my Velvia 50 slides on the light box from the Bronnie is pretty impressive!
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby PiroStitch on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:40 pm

All the Leaf Aptus digital backs suit the Bronica ETRS and SQA/SQAi bodies.

Just trying to figure out whether to go 645 or 6x6....tempted by SQAi
PiroStitch

Return to Other