Sigma HSM /AF on Nikon DSLR

Unless they get too big for themselves, this is where you can talk about the "other" brands of DSLR's: Konica Minolta / Sony, Pentax / Samsung, Olympus, Horseman, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Sigma HSM /AF on Nikon DSLR

Postby idleowen on Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:05 pm

Hi,had a question on a newly purchased Sigma 10 - 20 lens,for my D80,hoping somebody might be able to offer some advice / assurance!
I'm used to the Nikon 18-200VR lens for focusing,when it correctly focuses on the subject(still object),repeated half presses of the shutter doesnt seem to prompt the motor to activate,indicating locked on focus.With the Sigma,on a still object,it emits a motor engagement noise as though its repeatedly trying to focus/refocus but the green viewfinder light stays green. Doesnt seem to shift the lens barrel to 'hunt',pictures are sharp.Just wondering if this is a Sigma HSM trait?
thks in advance!
nikon stuff
idleowen

Re: Sigma HSM /AF on Nikon DSLR

Postby ljxphotography on Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:16 pm

I used to have this lens, and cant recall having this problem.
I have a 100-300 f4 HSM lens currently and it only makes motor noise when trying to focus or shifting focus from one position to the next.

Mick :mrgreen:
Nikon D800,D300s X2,F90x,F4e, 18-35AFD,24mm f2, 35mmf2, 50mm f1.8 AFS, 85mm 1.4, 180mm 2.8, SB600, SB800, Elinchrom Quadras.
ljxphotography

Postby aim54x on Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:51 pm

ljxphotography wrote:I used to have this lens, and cant recall having this problem.
I have a 100-300 f4 HSM lens currently and it only makes motor noise when trying to focus or shifting focus from one position to the next.

Mick :mrgreen:

I have the EX APO DG 180mm f/3.5 Macro, never noticed this problem, but I guess a macro is a very different story. My experience is much like ljxphotography, no noise if no shift in focus.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby big pix on Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:10 pm

10-20mm will work different to 18-200mm,,.... you will not notice the small shift in focus as with a wide angle the shift in focus is quite small unless you move from something close to far away.........
Cheers ....bp....
Difference between a good street photographer and a great street photographer....
Removing objects that do not belong...
happy for the comments, but
.....Please DO NOT edit my image.....
http://bigpix.smugmug.com Forever changing
big pix

Postby Yi-P on Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:43 pm

Its a common issue with this lens, nothing to worry about. Mine had the same 'small focus hunting', you just get used to it over time.
Yi-P

Return to Other