Weekend of 12th July 2008

Items of local interest for those in the national capital.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Weekend of 12th July 2008

Postby bwhinnen on Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:55 pm

To all our Canberra members, is there anything special going on around that weekend in the Nation's Capital? Do the balloon rides go on in Winter at all? I'd expect not as from memory the wind can be pretty blowy in Winter :)

I am thinking of springing a surprise trip to Canberra for my Wife's birthday weekend, as well as perhaps a day trip up to see some snow. I know she really wants to do a balloon ride (as much as I don't), and I know she wants to see snow for the first time in her life. Obviously we'll have the 3 year old rugrat with us as well so I was thinking that the National Science Museum might be fun for him to get hands on...

I know this is short notice but she is a little upset about the lack of interest from her friends for a party (which has annoyed me to no end).

Thanks,

Brett
bwhinnen

Re: Weekend of 12th July 2008

Postby Mr Darcy on Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:06 pm

The commercial balloon operators work all year round. They'll take you up if you pay them too. Weather permitting of course.
They usually operate very early in the morning before the wind has picked up. A day like today though, they won't even consider.

You may see snow on the Brindabellas, but I doubt it somehow. Even the resorts are finding snow scarce this year.

Can't comment on the Science museum. I lived there for 4 years and never got there. :cry:
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby TonyT on Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:52 am

Hi Brett

You're right about the wind and winter. But balloon rides go up all year round, so you may want to make some enquiries. If the weather is ok, they fly.

You may consider taking the little one to questacon. There is an area for little kids which is always popular. The rest of it is interesting for bigger kids, but at least the little one would be able to run around and touch things without creating havoc.

For snow there is corin forrest look at http://www.corin.com.au they have a snow machine and also be fun for the little one and its not to for from canberra

Also Vivid starts that weekend you can look up the web site for thing that are happening then

Tony & Sue
TonyT

Postby Jase555 on Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:01 am

The resorts are just starting to see some decent snow now, so a day trip might be in order for some good white stuff...
Proud Pentax user!

Images of life, land & speed
http://www.555images.com
Jase555

Postby bwhinnen on Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:55 pm

Thanks all, I'm just about to book accommodation for us :) We'll be getting down there on Thursday and leaving on the following Monday, so a quick trip but should be able to achieve some of the things on the list (not in any priority).

Things on the list so far are:
- War Memorial
- Federal Mint
- Snow day trip
- CDSCC
- Questacon
- Drive by of Parliament houses
- Black Mountain Tower

Other things will be a big drive around to visit those places I used to live down there a walk through Civic, down to the Lake, I think the Balloon ride will be off for this trip only due to the fact that the little-un is a wee bit young and Vicki doesn't want a trip aloft alone...
bwhinnen

Postby virgal_tracy on Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:54 pm

As Tony said, Vivid is beginning and there is plenty to do http://www.nla.gov.au/vivid/. I'd recommend Questacon for the 3 y.o., we took our then 2 y.o. and he had a ball in the little kids room to such an extent that we missed most of the rest of it as he wouldn't get out.

I'd recommend the mint for yourself and the wife and also for a bit of a drive Tidbinbilla Space tracking Station.

Old Bus depot markets on Sunday(?) are worth a look, Cockington Green is a good 1/2 day out.

There's plenty to do and you probably won't have enough time to do it all.

If you are looking for a little time out I'd recommend the Mawson Club. Good food and a great play area for the kids where you can let the young fella run free and you and the hugs & kisses can enjoy your meal.

I'd also recommend the Medina Apartments for your accomodation. Either in the city or at Kingston. City is walking distance to everything including the lake, Kingston is walking distance to the restaurants of Manuka. nb My sister is involved with the company so I am bias.
Cheers,
Vince

Space: the final frontier
virgal_tracy

Return to Canberra