Canon Battery Grip with 1 Battery?

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Canon Battery Grip with 1 Battery?

Postby ks04 on Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:22 pm

Hi Guys,
Noobie question for you all - looking at getting a Canon BG-E2 for my 30D which gives the ability to use 2 batteries in, however can i use the grip with just a single genuine canon battery?
Cheers.
ks04

Re: Canon Battery Grip with 1 Battery?

Postby DaveB on Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:40 pm

Sure can!

But if you can, do get the BG-E2N. There were many BG-E2s with faults, so I'd be careful if you're looking at the 2nd-hand market.
DaveB

Postby ks04 on Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:49 pm

Brilliant! thankyou!
What sort of faults did they have? first i've heard of it
ks04

Postby DaveB on Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:07 am

With mine (on a 20D) I had two issues:
  1. In "portrait" orientation with a heavy lens on, there was enough flex in the body that occasionally the microswitch that normally provides the "battery door closed" signal was no longer being pushed in by the battery grip, and the camera instantaneously turned off.
  2. The power would be reported as low too soon. By removing the grip and putting the same battery in the body, the power was reported as full.
Neither of these issues had ever occurred with the grip on my earlier D30 and 10D bodies, and Canon agreed it should not have happened here. After an unsuccessful replacement I gave up on the grip. As it happened I was happier with a lighter rig (although there are times the grip would be nice).

Canon did say they fixed these issues, but I'm sure there are plenty of busted ones floating around still. It wasn't just me: there was lots of fuss about this grip all over the web at the time. I've only heard good things about the BG-E2N though.
DaveB

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions