Am I not looking in the right place + lenses

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Am I not looking in the right place + lenses

Postby Myrtle on Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:14 pm

I read in some threads about Poon's items for sale but I'm sorry, for the life of me I'm darned if I see a link to the list of equipment he has for sale - is there one??
Can someone please point me in the right direction.

And while here - I want to get a lens for my D80 to do some macro - mainly interested in shooting butterflies and insects but also like doing real closeups of flowers and petals (just for something different) - will I need two separate lenses or is there something that will cover both?? And yes price is a consideration.

Thanks in advance for your help

Linda
Myrtle

Postby gstark on Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:26 pm

The FAQ is your first port of call.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Myrtle on Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:36 pm

gstark wrote:The FAQ is your first port of call.

I did read the FAQs before posting Gary :) But you make reference to updating Poon's list etc and that is what has me asking my question

johnd wrote:
The 28-70 is also on the list. Is it available again?

Thanx for pointing this out John.

No, it's not, and it shouldn't be. I've simply neglected to exclude it from the list, which I will toddle off and deal with now.
Posted by you on Dec 27

Linda
Myrtle

Re: Am I not looking in the right place + lenses

Postby ATJ on Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:39 pm

Myrtle wrote:And while here - I want to get a lens for my D80 to do some macro - mainly interested in shooting butterflies and insects but also like doing real closeups of flowers and petals (just for something different) - will I need two separate lenses or is there something that will cover both?? And yes price is a consideration.

Linda,

I have a 60mm macro lens which works very well for flowers and many insects that are not likely to fly away. For butterflies, you are going to be better off with a longer lens that still allows the same magnification. Such a lens would work well for flowers and petals, too. I'm currently eying off a Sigma 150mm f/2.8 lens. It will give me the same magnification as my 60mm lens, but will allow me to be nearly twice as far away to get the same magnification.
ATJ

Postby Pa on Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:47 pm

hi Linda, what Gary is referring to is the bargain page....some where between 20 and 50 posts one being an image gives you access to it
cheers pa

http://pa.smugmug.com

Work it's part of your life.....So make it an enjoyable part of it.
Pa

Postby gstark on Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:50 pm

Myrtle wrote:
gstark wrote:The FAQ is your first port of call.

I did read the FAQs before posting Gary :)

Please don't take this the wrong way, Linda, but you must have missed these bits ...

The relevant section is headed "Bargains Section"

FAQ wrote:How do I get access to the Bargains Section
Please see the sections labelled "Special Access"

What is "The Bargains Section"
The Bargains section is one (of several) that requires "Special Access". To gain that access you need to be a member for about a month, and to have made about 50 posts, give or take.

The whole section that those excerpts are taken from needs to be read. It explains pretty well everything, and it certainly (I think) answers the questions I think you're asking here.

The last few questions in the FAQ section immediately prior to the Bargains Section are also very important. Especially the last of those. :)

But you make reference to updating Poon's list etc and that is what has me asking my question

Yep. Those who have access, have access. :)
g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Myrtle on Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:13 pm

Thanks Gary - just be grateful that I am not a blonde and I don't need glasses - imagine it then (and no offence to the blonde members of the forum meant). :D

And thanks for the lens info ATJ.

Linda
Myrtle

Postby Bluebell on Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:16 pm

Myrtle said:
just be grateful that I am not a blonde and I don't need glasses - imagine it then

Ouch - that was too close for comfort :shock: :wink:
Nikon D700 D300
Bluebell

Postby gstark on Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:20 pm

Myrtle wrote:Thanks Gary - just be grateful that I am not a blonde

I daren't ask.

I was tempted, however. :)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Myrtle on Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:21 pm

Bluebell wrote:Myrtle said:
just be grateful that I am not a blonde and I don't need glasses - imagine it then

:oops: Sorry Bluebell :D :D :D Should I have put - thank God I am not a guy cos they usually don't read any instructions at all :D
Myrtle

Postby gstark on Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:29 pm

Myrtle wrote:

:oops: Sorry Bluebell :D :D :D Should I have put - thank God I am not a guy cos they usually don't read any instructions at all :D

If it needs instructions, it's poorly designed.

:)
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Bluebell on Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:31 pm

Myrtle said:
thank God I am not a guy cos they usually don't read any instructions at all

I've heard their theory is that real men don't need instructions :lol:
Nikon D700 D300
Bluebell

Postby sirhc55 on Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:28 pm

We write them, not read them :lol: :lol: :lol:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Bindii on Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:40 pm

thank God I am not a guy cos they usually don't read any instructions at all

I've heard their theory is that real men don't need instructions :lol:

Yeah well..

that kinda depends on what they are trying to do doesn't it.. ;)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but it's still on the list... ;)
Bindii

Re: Am I not looking in the right place + lenses

Postby chrisk on Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:41 pm

Myrtle wrote:And while here - I want to get a lens for my D80 to do some macro - mainly interested in shooting butterflies and insects but also like doing real closeups of flowers and petals (just for something different) - will I need two separate lenses or is there something that will cover both?? And yes price is a consideration.

Thanks in advance for your help

Linda

linda, i currently have the sigma 150mm and while i love using it, it's biggest drawback is its weight and size. i used to have the tamron 90mm. having used a heck of alot of macro lens', it is a very sharp lens and is feather light making it easy to hold and take out walking. i needed the reach for insect macros so thats why i sold the tammie and got the sigma but there is many a day when i take flower picks that i regret having sold it.

i would strongly recommend you handle both lens' before you buy. and if price is a consideration, imo the tammie is the best bang for buck macro lens around. [/img]
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions