Second hand Nikon D50 and lenses - what's it worth?

Newer members often state that they think their question is too basic, or stupid, or whatever, to be posted. Nothing could be further further from the truth in any section at DSLRUsers.com, but especially here. Don't feel intimidated. The only stupid question is the one that remains unasked. We were all beginners at one stage, and even the most experienced amongst us will admit to learning new stuff on a daily basis. Ask away! Please also refer to the forum rules and the portal page

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Second hand Nikon D50 and lenses - what's it worth?

Postby Underload on Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:56 am

Sorry guys...2 threads started in the Beginners section in as many days :oops: I just don't want to stuff this up.

I've got the opportunity to purchase a Nikon D50, a few lenses and accessories...but I'm not sure if the asking price is fair and reasonable.

The deal is:

Nikon D50 + Kit Lens (18 - 55) (Cleaning cloth, Nikon CD, Body cap, Front and back lens cap, manual) + 3 year warranty
1GB Sandisk Ultra II SD Card (Plastic Carry Case)
55-200 f4.5-5.6 (Lens Hood, Front and Back lens cap and lens pouch)
50mm f1.8 (Front and Back lens cap) (Just the standard AF Nikkor one)
HOYA UV(n)HMC Filter 52mm
HOYA Skylight 1B Filter 52mm
HOYA CIR-Polarizing Filter 52mm

The camera has approximately 5k actuations on it. The asking price is around $950. As far as value goes, is this a good deal? I've had a bit of a look around at second hand prices, but I thought the collective wisdom here might be worthwhile asking.

And also, what's the 55-200 like? If it's not much good, I might leave it out, and try and get the price down a bit.

Again, thanks for your help, and patience - very much appreciated.

James.
Underload

Postby Oz_Beachside on Wed Jan 03, 2007 1:25 am

its ok, considering its 3 lenses.

Twin lens kit, about $999 new, so with a 50mm, filters, and a card... it ok. But would think its not a bargain.

If looking at a D50, I'd consider a new D40 (to get the much larger screen) useful for chimping...

50mm might be worth $200, filters are negligible used, card would cost money, say $100 new retail...
Oz_Beachside

Return to Absolute Beginners Questions