Whilton Camera Service. Sydney CBD.

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Whilton Camera Service. Sydney CBD.

Postby Raskill on Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:19 pm

Just thought I'd let everyone know that I had a very good experience with Whilton Camera Service, Elizabeth St, Sydney.

I damaged my 24-70 F/2.8 and needed it repaired and returned within 7 days. This was achieved and I've got my lens back. 6 day turn around is pretty damn good, I'll be using them again.

I also asked for a ball park figure for a preventative service on my D2h's. They said between $135 - $225, but certainly no more than that. Obviously includes a sensor clean as well. Pretty good prices, and bloody good service.

:D
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Re: Whilton Camera Service. Sydney CBD.

Postby aim54x on Thu May 23, 2013 12:25 pm

Just digging up an old post...

I dropped my camera (D700) with Chris to be cleaned, service was completed overnight and pick up was prompt, and relatively trouble free (just had to make sure my labelled battery was in the camera).

The story get a bit interesting after this. I got home last night and discovered that my eyepeice (DK-17A - anti-fog + DK-19) had been swapped (accidentally I hope) for a scratched DK-17 + DK-19. I tried calling through this morning and have only run into the hired help, who have been less than helpful, bordering on rude.

I am waiting to hear from Chris himself and will be headed out there again this afternoon to try to catch him. I am hoping it is an honest mistake but it really does put a downer on what was a good experience.

For the record, my sensor is A LOT cleaner than it was although I have noticed two spots that have been missed. Gerry will attest to just how bad the sensor was before I sent it away.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby biggerry on Thu May 23, 2013 3:36 pm

aim54x wrote:For the record, my sensor is A LOT cleaner than it was although I have noticed two spots that have been missed. Gerry will attest to just how bad the sensor was before I sent it away.

even if it was 50% better that would have been a huge improvement! :lol:
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby aim54x on Thu May 23, 2013 4:58 pm

Well I am about to leave the office and head back to Whilton's to have a chat, hopefully talking in person (being reasonable) will get me a bit further than the tense defensive response I got earlier in the day. I am still trying to convince myself it is an unfortunate coincidence, but the chances of having a DK-17+DK-19 combination also on the work bench have got to be slim.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby aim54x on Thu May 23, 2013 6:50 pm

I just ordered myself a replacement DK-17a.... After speaking to Chris, who was more than happy to reclean my sensor, we are both puzzled by the eyepiece but I was satisfied that no strange business has been conducted by Chris himself.....I have decided that a relationship between a good technician is with more than an eyepiece.

The only plausible explanation is I managed to scratch the eyepiece last night when I was having drinks with some friends. I did bump the camera against the corner of a table but could not find any marks......it's unlikely but not impossible that it was that bump that scratched and damaged the anti-fog coating
Cameron
aim54x

Return to Trader Opinions