Opinions please..

Archives of older/obsolete messages from the Sydney section.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Opinions please..

Postby Geoff on Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:03 pm

Hi all,
I don't want to become a serial poster of links in here..however..if you're bored OR would like to have a look at some snaps I took on Friday afternoon/evening..have a look at http://www.pbase.com/d70geoff/curly . I'd be keen on constructive criticism!

Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/d70geoff
Geoff

Postby Onyx on Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:28 pm

Wow Geoff, good job. 1 point I would like to make though, you notice how the majority have cyan skies (when in real life it was blue) and it became white close to the horizon - it's a sign the exposure was blown.

I believe Ken Rockwell documented this "fault" of the D70's histogram, that it is a luminosity histogram, in his D70 review. He outlined how luminosity is closely related to the green channel as human eyes are most sensitive to greens, and that the histogram can roughly be used as the green channel exposure indicator.
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d70.htm
NB: I think every D70 owner should read Ken's review because he outlines some extremely useful tips on maximising its use (eg. tips on pleasing WB, how the Matrix meter behaves below EV5, etc) and even documents some weird behaviour like Auto ISO and fill-flash issue pre firmware update.

Anyway, the point is regarding the cyan coloured sky is - it indicates that the red and blue channels were blown in the sky, and the green likewise when in the image turned white near the horizon. You should back off your exposures a little (dial in negative exposure compensation, or spot meter the sky and set it as zone 6).
Onyx

Postby Glen on Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:40 pm

Geoff, really like your composition and how you capture the spirit of the place (being quite familiar with the location). Some of your shots are quite moody which I like. When opened some of the skies were blown like Onyx said, but then that is what Photoshop or Capture is for (or maybe a polarising filter). Nice
Glen

Postby W00DY on Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:20 pm

I like the drip in 3912....

W00DY
W00DY

Postby Raydar on Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:44 pm

Great stuff Geoff 8)

Love 3912 very interesting, has poetical for a little PS work :P

Cheers
Ray :lol:
>> All of us could take a lesson from the weather. It pays no attention to criticism<<
Raydar

Geoff

Postby Matt. K on Thu Sep 16, 2004 10:40 pm

Had a look at your pics. Liked 3927 best. Pics nicely processed and you got a good eye. One question...have you cropped the images or are they all full frame?
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Return to Sydney - Archives