Difference between the Wacom PTH 640, PTH 650 and PTH 651?

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Difference between the Wacom PTH 640, PTH 650 and PTH 651?

Postby haring on Sat Jul 16, 2016 1:03 am

What is the difference between the Wacom PTH 640, PTH 650 and PTH 651?

Is there any real difference between them?

Based on your expreience, does it really effect your work which one you use?

Are there any other manufacturers with similar products?

Thanks so much!
haring

Re: Difference between the Wacom PTH 640, PTH 650 and PTH 65

Postby Aussie Dave on Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:19 am

As per the response to your same question on the Rangefinder forum (HERE, there doesn't seem to be much difference between these models.

I would also agree with the response to save your money and buy the Art/Touch series instead of the Pro.
Unless you are doing lots of computer illustration etc you really don't need the Pro version for photo editing.

I would also carefully consider the size of the tablet you get. I, like most people, began looking at the medium size thinking the large was overkill and the small was just that, too small.

After lots of research I ended up purchasing the small size and I am glad I did.
I only have about 3/4 of the usable space mapped to my screen so I'm not even using the entire area of the small - what a waste the medium or large would have been.

From my research, the larger tablets are really designed for graphic designers/illustrators who need to make brush strokes like they are painting or drawing on larger paper/canvas (where they move their arm to perform the brush stroke).

When I am editing photos with my small tablet I mapped the usable area to about 3/4 the size of the pen area so I can move the pen tip a fair way across the screen with the bend of my wrist (eg. I don't need to move my arm).....this is with my 1920 x 1200 screen resolution.
If you think about how you edit your images, any fine brush strokes for masking or brushing will be done zoomed in and you don't usually need to go edge to edge of your screen.....therefore you don't need to do the same on the tablet either.

As for the other posts you've made about using iPad etc as the tablet I would forget about that and just buy a Wacom. I believe there are ways to do this on things like the Surface Pro but they don't really match the quality of the Wacom tablets (which are designed specifically for this application).

The Art/Touch series are at least (if not less) than 50% cheaper than the Pro versions and you won't really gain much extra benefit for photo editing with the Pro versions - again, unless you are doing graphic design or illustration, digital art etc.

Hope this helps...
Dave
Dave
Nikon D7000 | 18-105 VR Lens | Nikon 50 1.8G | Sigma 70-300 APO II Super Macro | Tokina 11-16 AT-X | Nikon SB-800 | Lowepro Mini Trekker AWII
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Re: Difference between the Wacom PTH 640, PTH 650 and PTH 65

Postby haring on Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:54 am

Dave,

You are awesome! This is what I have been looking for! It saves so much time and money to find before the purchase out what I really need rather what I want! :)

I love these forums! It takes some time to find the right information but it is much more valuable than any product reviews (with paid links to amazon or b&h) available on the internet!

Thanks so much!
haring

Return to Equipment Reviews