Which bag for a bloody huge camera

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Which bag for a bloody huge camera

Postby Reschsmooth on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:41 pm

As per the other thread, I am having trouble finding a bag (ok, haven't really looked too hard) for my Cambo SCX. This is an image lifted from the Cambo site showing what it looks like. Image.

It is about 57cm long by 40cm high and 30cm wide. Whilst I can effectively dismantle it and lay it flat, I would like a case in which I can carry it largely intact and ready to rock and roll.

I had a look at the ThinkTank Logistics Manager, but the internal measurements appear a touch too small, at least as far as the width is concerned.

The means with which it is portable (roller, backpack, shoulder, etc.) is less of a concern compared to the need to have it securely in a case.

Any thoughts or ideas would be great.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Re: Which bag for a bloody huge camera

Postby aim54x on Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:52 pm

I would advise to have a look at the Magnum 200AW (may be too small), Magnum 400AW and the Magnum DV 4000AW
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Mr Darcy on Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:01 pm

The box I made for my chainsaw should do the trick :lol:
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby Reschsmooth on Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:12 pm

aim54x wrote:I would advise to have a look at the Magnum 200AW (may be too small), Magnum 400AW and the Magnum DV 4000AW

Unfortunately, even the DV6500 is too small.

This one looks the goods but lacks easy portability.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Murray Foote on Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:54 pm

I have an Arca-Swiss monorail and six lenses for it, though I never used all lenses concurrently and haven't used the camera for some years. I store it inside a large leather box that I strapped to a golf trundler (aka caddy, I think) to carry around. I was also able to store in the box several lenses on mounting plates, six-sheet or two-sheet backs and the dark cloth. I also used a Quantum calculite meter which would be hanging round my neck and a Pentax spotmeter that I had a belt holster for. For bushwalking or travel in planes I have a Nagaoka field camera (which folds away to nothing).
Murray Foote

Postby gstark on Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:28 pm

Murray Foote wrote: For bushwalking or travel in planes I have a Nagaoka field camera (which folds away to nothing).

I miss my Nagaoka.

Sold it years ago. What a totally fun camera to use.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby sirhc55 on Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:34 pm

I’m sorry Patrick but someone had to say it - for a bloody big camera how about a bloody big bag :up:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby robert on Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:58 am

Back when i was using large format (sadly sold the 8x10 calumet c1 about 3 years ago- lack of use), i used to put the speed graphic 4x5 in a normal large lowepro backpack. The 8x10 was not a field camera so needed to store rails and front/rear standards, lenses film holders etc...i ended up getting some foam from clark rubber and using a suitcase. Not overly elegant but i would carry it up to an hour from the car so at least functional. The tripod i used was also a heavy beast so youve got to be committed!

I guess it comes down to how much you will be walking/travelling with it- if need to walk some distance then some type of backpack (travel poack with full zip not rucksack) might be modified. if not i'd just customise a suitcase. As a left of field thought you might possibly use something like an old sewing machine case. (you can see my suggestions are of the budget variety!)

I wonder if carrying it intact might put too much stress on the rail mounts when carrying the bag sideways etc. I understand why you'd want to though...

Great to see you into all formats of film- i will end up doing it again- just not now with kids 1yo, 3yo and 6yo!

Robert
Robert
EOS 5D Mk II, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200f4 IS, 50 f1.8, 100 macro, 300D (IR Mod)
robert

Postby aim54x on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:02 am

Reschsmooth wrote:
aim54x wrote:I would advise to have a look at the Magnum 200AW (may be too small), Magnum 400AW and the Magnum DV 4000AW

Unfortunately, even the DV6500 is too small.

Bugger I dont remember it being that big.....i guess it is really tall when mounted onto the rail....
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:48 am

robert wrote:Back when i was using large format (sadly sold the 8x10 calumet c1 about 3 years ago- lack of use), i used to put the speed graphic 4x5 in a normal large lowepro backpack. The 8x10 was not a field camera so needed to store rails and front/rear standards, lenses film holders etc...i ended up getting some foam from clark rubber and using a suitcase. Not overly elegant but i would carry it up to an hour from the car so at least functional. The tripod i used was also a heavy beast so youve got to be committed!

I could try one of our roller suitcases, but feel they may also be too small. At this stage, I am unsure I will be hiking in the bush with it.

I guess it comes down to how much you will be walking/travelling with it- if need to walk some distance then some type of backpack (travel poack with full zip not rucksack) might be modified. if not i'd just customise a suitcase. As a left of field thought you might possibly use something like an old sewing machine case. (you can see my suggestions are of the budget variety!)

I also have a travel backpack that I was thinking may work, but am conscious of the comment below. I took the camera to a L&P and laid it in the boot - both standards moved a little bit en-route. I definitely will want something that doesn't put strain on the mechanism.

I wonder if carrying it intact might put too much stress on the rail mounts when carrying the bag sideways etc. I understand why you'd want to though...

Great to see you into all formats of film- i will end up doing it again- just not now with kids 1yo, 3yo and 6yo!

Don't let that be an excuse, my 5 year old made his own 'view camera' :)

Cameron - it is quite tall, from rail to top.

Robert[/quote]
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby robert on Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:25 am

thats awesome!- my 6 yo loves walking round with an old Yashica TLR i dont use- just something about seeing things on a screen- as well as hassling us for iphone camera/ compact camera etc. Eventually got a cheap Aldi shock/waterproof camera for him.
Robert
Robert
EOS 5D Mk II, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200f4 IS, 50 f1.8, 100 macro, 300D (IR Mod)
robert

Postby the foto fanatic on Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:11 pm

Reschsmooth wrote:
Any thoughts or ideas would be great.

Hey Patrick

I'd look for a Sherpa!
Sir Edmund Hillary thought they were pretty good!
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Postby Murray Foote on Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:48 pm

robert wrote:I wonder if carrying it intact might put too much stress on the rail mounts when carrying the bag sideways etc. I understand why you'd want to though...

I used to carry my 5x4 monorail around intact in the leather box I mentioned earlier without any problems. Mind you, the Arca-Swiss is built like a tank.

Patrick, I suggest to take it around by car you just need a box of the right dimensions. Even a plastic box from a discount store, fitted out with appropriate padding and rails. If you want to go walking with a 5x4 you need a field camera.
Murray Foote

Postby surenj on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:38 am

Perhaps you can get the "Camera Armour" guys to make you a custom outfit?
surenj

Return to Equipment Reviews