Advice on ballheads

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Advice on ballheads

Postby grivai on Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:15 pm

Hi all,

I have almost gone blind looking at reviews / opinions of ballheads as I will be buying one soon. I am looking to buy once, buy right ....

Clearly the RRS and Markins are excellent. So my choice of these I think is between the Markins M10 or Q3, or RRS the B-40.

The other one that piques my interest is the GV2 by Acratech - it looks excellent though some people seem to trump it with Markins and have said there is some creep, but as with everything opinions differ. I do like the 'gimbal' option as the biggest lens I have at present is the Nikon 70-200 (on a D300) the rotating lens collar will allow me to shoot landscape too, not just be stuck in portrait. Also, the weight off center is probably manageable and not a risk.

I have not found anything on this forum regarding the GV2...

Weight and 'cumbersomeness' are extremely important to me thats why I'm ruling out the M-20 and the RRS-B55 and anything like a Wimberley etc...small differences all add up.

I think I just need someone to tell me which to get out of these....So PLEASE, put me out of my selection misery!!

Oh, and anyone that also has experience with the Markins Tripod bases and the best price / place to get the aforementioned heads with the currently average dollar feel free to add input too....:-)

Constructive help much appreciated....thanks!
grivai

Re: Advice on ballheads

Postby who on Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:36 pm

Well I did this whole thing and ended up with a Gitzo GT-2530LVL tripod.... and a RRS BH-55 ballhead.

This choice was based around wanting a very smooth ballhead that would handle more than I had in terms of gear (largest being a 80-400VR at present, or the nasty load of an 80-200 f2.8 push/pull with no lens collar.

I was tempted by the Markins gear, but already had some RRS plates and wanted the RRS lever clamp.

And it got a bit too expensive to buy the Markins ballhead, and then add the RRS clamp, so I went all RRS.

The ballhead is a bit on the heavy side, but the size and quality of it make it worthwhile. I was thinking about getting a lighter Q3 head but the dollar dived..... so it never happened.
Old D200+extras
who

Postby grivai on Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:48 pm

Cheers who,

The RRS lever clamp does seem to be quite the selling point...I'm a little worried that I would catch it on something! Have you found the added speed in attaching / detaching to be a lot more beneficial over the conventional screw-type setups?

I am looking to pair the head with the GT2531 legs...though will find a place (maybe camera exchange) to go and have a play with the traveller / LVL / etc. variants.

Thanks again!
grivai

Postby fozzie on Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:43 pm

grivai - if you decide on the Gitzo 2531, I would seriously consider the 'Markins' M10 (Panning Base Diameter = 2.44 in. or 62 mm) with the 'Markins' Tripod Base TB-21 (Top Diameter = 2.48 in. or 63 mm). This will give you better stability and less vibration.

M10:
http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/M10.php

If you want to, just order the ballhead:
http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/M10.php?req=nqs
and then get a 'RRS' plate to suit.

TB-21:
http://www.markinsamerica.com/MA5/TB-21.php

I have used the Markins America website as I find it easier to use, but orders from Australia via Korean website:
http://www.markins.com/2.0/eng/index.html

For example: this is my setup (Gitzo1327 - with centre column removed, TB-30, plus M20 - steady as a rock :) :

Hope this helps.
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby who on Mon Mar 16, 2009 4:36 pm

grivai wrote:Cheers who,

The RRS lever clamp does seem to be quite the selling point...I'm a little worried that I would catch it on something! Have you found the added speed in attaching / detaching to be a lot more beneficial over the conventional screw-type setups?

Never used the screw type clamp, but haven't had a problem with the lever clamp. There is a fair bit of tension to clamp it when nearly closed as well. I do find it quick and easy to setup which means I am more inclined to actually use the tripod.

The big issue is that you are restricted to RRS plates (and maybe one or 2 select others) on your camera body & lenses, you can't use Kirk (or others) if you choose the lever clamp.

I am looking to pair the head with the GT2531 legs...though will find a place (maybe camera exchange) to go and have a play with the traveller / LVL / etc. variants.

Thanks again!

Good luck - not many places I have been to (in Brisbane, nevermind Tassie) have many of the good CF tripods to test out. I ended up buying the 2530LVL sight unseen from B&H in the US last year. Ditto the ballhead from RRS.

I personally have no complaints about vibrations etc from the Gitzo, even with the levelling centre column (very handy if wanting to setup a Pano just with the ballhead)
Old D200+extras
who

Postby Mr Darcy on Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:20 pm

I have all RRS & love it.
I have the lever clamp on my Tripod and the Screw clamp on the monopod. I have to say the lever clamp wins hands down.
The screw clamp is clumsy & awkward in comparison.
In use the lever moulds itself around &close to the plate. I reckon you are more likely to bash the camera than snag the lever. OTOH the screw stands out a mile. I have to remember to point it forward or it interferes with my framing the shot.
When either would do, I am more likely to grab the tripod as it is much easier to set up.
If the AUD were to come good, I would spring for another lever clamp tomorrow.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby grivai on Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:49 pm

Thanks all for the input!

RRS certainly do seem to be well liked....I think I will give them a call and work something out.

Camera exchange in Melbourne have a whole bunch of the Gitzos, they truly are lightweight. I actually may pick up the 2541EX as it packs a bit smaller - 4 segments some people think provide less stability but I couldnt really take it out into a storm to find out, though in the shop it felt fine. The flexibility of setup positions with the explorer range I think is great. They also have the latest Gitzo ballheads which seem to be a significant improvement of their older ones.

If anyone is in the market they are selling them pretty 'cheap' there too - I'l be getting the GST back at the airport and will have ended up forking out $750...not all thaaaaaat bad when I calculate (justify) the years it will be with me, short of a lotto win which allows me to buy a 600mm f4 forcing an upgrade of the legs ;-)

Cheers, (and sorry for digressing into discussing tripods)

Ivan
grivai

Postby Mr Darcy on Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:31 pm

I actually may pick up the 2541EX

I in fact have the Gitzo 2540EX with the RRS BH40 and Lever Plate. It is an incredibly versatile and easy to use system.
Yes the tripod is slightly less stable than the non-explorer version, but still way better than anything else I have ever used.
The versatility more than makes up for any perceived stability issue. If I want to shoot over the heads of a crowd, it will do it. If I want to shoot a coin on a table. It will do that too. If I want a landscape shot from ground level. No problemo. If I want to copy an A3 sheet without getting the legs in shot. Fine. Star trails. Easy peasy.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby SuperJT on Thu May 07, 2009 12:30 am

Has anyone got or tried the Benro J series ball heads ? Apparently, it's their top end range. I'd love to hear someone's opinion on it.
Canon 50D - EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS - EF 100-400 L - EF 50 f1.8
SuperJT

Postby tasadam on Fri Aug 21, 2009 12:07 pm

This is a great discussion and covers a point that I need to consider - matching the ballhead with a tripod.
I'm looking or a Gitzo tripod, perhaps the GT1541 or the GT2542L
I'm also looking at the Acratech GV2 tripod and have seen the Ultimate about as well.
Any ideas?
Replacing the Benro KB-1 and the Benro M-128 (also known as a C-128).
Share what you know, learn what you don't.
Wilderness Photography of Tasmania http://www.tasmaniart.com.au
tasadam

Postby glamy on Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:36 pm

I have a BH55, my mate has a Markins. If I could go back I'd get a Markins :evil: .The Markins is far more progressive to adjust the friction.
glamy

Return to Equipment Reviews