Kenko Extension Tubes

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Kenko Extension Tubes

Postby ATJ on Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:22 pm

Greg (Mr Darcy) was very kind to me and lent me his set of Kenko Extension tubes which I have been using for the last few weeks. I love them and they are an improvement over my single Nikon PK-13 (27.5mm) tube. I have purchased my own set. :)

I have written a minreview and I'd like some feedback to see if I have missed anything or if people have questions I haven't covered.

Thanks.

Kenko extension tubes
ATJ

Re: Kenko Extension Tubes

Postby rookie2 on Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:36 am

Thanks ATJ :up:

I have had a set of Kenko tubes sitting idle for over a year but with a week off and no organised sport I have to shoot, it may be time to put away the telephoto and have a bit of fun with them again.

Your sharp colourful pics of the fly and spider are great - we have a family of huntsmen spiders around our place to work with and there's no shortage of flies this time of year!

Thanks for taking the time to share the key concepts involved..I will look over and refer back to again at a more reasonable hour!!

Festive cheers
R2
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Rookie2

http://www.DLdigital.smugmug.com
rookie2

Postby Murray Foote on Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:42 am

Very useful review, Andrew

I was intending to get a set for a 300mm f4 AFS (probably only using one) but though I ordered the lens before the dollar collapsed, it didn't come though so now I'm waiting for a while (for both). My macro lens is a 105mm f2.8 AIS and my cheap manual extension tubes are probably just as good for that.

Regards,
Murray
Murray Foote

Postby Alpha_7 on Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:34 am

Thanks for the Mini review Andrew, it was very informative. I'm considering tubes to go with Santa's new gift of a 90mm Tammy, but I'm torn between getting the cheap manual ones and going all out for the Kenko variety.
Alpha_7

Postby ATJ on Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:58 am

Craig,

Go for the auto ones - you know you want to. The manual ones will work fine but the auto ones are just easier to use.
ATJ

Postby Mr Darcy on Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:43 pm

This is in answer to a specific question in another thread
I have put it here as it seems more appropriate here than there.

The question was specifically about Kenko Tubes with the 105VR Micro Nikkor:
THe following are all of the same AUD2 coin (if you are not familiar with with Australian currency, this is 20.65mm across according to my Mitutoyo vernier Calipers)

All are taken at closest focussing distance with the 105VR lens Distance measurements are approx using a tape measure beside the camera. Distance is to front of lens. All photos are OOC simply resized using ViewNX

0: No tubes. Focussing distance was 310mm

1: 12mm tube FD= 142mm

2: 20mm tube FD=140mm

3: 36mm tube FD=133

4: All tubes stacked FD = 120
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby DebT on Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:21 pm

Thanks Andrew the information is excellent
- even though I have Canon 100m 2.8 and EF12 (so different but similar) I am now looking at the Kenko combination in a new light and will think about the less expensive option for stacking and thus achieving closer focus.

Gregg thanks also for the comparison shots as it makes it much clear what the benefits/differences are.

Information appreciated
DebT
DebT
"so many dreams - so little time "
DebT

Return to Equipment Reviews