Tamron SP AF Aspherical XR Di (IF) 28-75mm 1:2.8 Macro !!

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Tamron SP AF Aspherical XR Di (IF) 28-75mm 1:2.8 Macro !!

Postby johndec on Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:05 pm

Now that is what I call a name :!: Seriously though, due to our generous Patron, I have had a chance over the last few days to test run this lens. I've never reviewed a lens before, nor do I have any pretensions of expertise, let alone adequacy, so I'll just tell you what I think :shock:

Initial Impressions: Although it is only a fraction of the size, weight and price of the venerable Nikkor 28-70, it is visably larger and heavier than the 18-70 kits lens. This is to be expected considering its' constant f2.8 aperture. It is fractionally smaller than a Nikkor 24-120mm VR and it sits well on my D70 with nice balance. The metal body and wide zoom ring look sturdy and fall comfortably into my hand during use. It looks and feels like a well built pro lens (which is how it is marketed).

AF: It doesn't have AF-S (or the Tamron equivalent), AF is via the focusing screw on the body. This doesn't really bother me as a lens at this focal range is more likely to be used for static subjects, people, snapshots,etc, not fast moving sports. All the same, even on the D70 it does the job very quickly with no noted hunting. I was quite impressed with its speed of focusing in a dimly lit room last Sunday whilst trying to chase red cordial charged children (more of that later).... All in all I'd struggle to notice the difference between this and the AF-S kit lens in focusing speed.

Performance: Ahh, the important bit :lol: I'm not going to bullshit you, but this lens is sharp enough to shave with given suitable settings. I posted some test shots I took the day I borrowed it that you can look at here:
http://www.dslrusers.net/viewtopic.php?t=11236&start=30

It is good wide open, but really shines from f5.6. Last Sunday, my sisters three kids got baptised and I got the job as photographer. I had to deal with terrible light all day due to the weather, so all my pics ended up being flash or flash assisted. Now I know I should have read the intructions that came with the SB-800, but I didn't and I just let the camera and the flash work it out amongst themselves all day, but it all worked out suprisingly well. Yes I know I'm wandering off topic, but it suprised me how intelligent that damm flash is :shock: Anyway. back to my review...

Here is a pic that I took that day. It is nothing special in itself, although the kid is cute. I had about 200 pics to process and this got the same treatment as all the others. Basically, 90 seconds of levels-contrast-shadow adjustment and moderate sharpening. I have resized this pic for posting but have not applied any extra reshapening to this or the 100% crop that follows it. EXIF should be embedded, but it is at 1/60s at f5.6 with bounce flash:

This is a 100% crop of the above image. Note the fine hair and the leftover food on her chin. Remember, I have not resharpened this for posting, just the original generic sharpen the first time I looked at it.

All in all, although I've never played with a Nikkor 28-70, I doubt it could do a much better job and when you factor in the weight,size and price differences, to me it becomes a no brainer. I'm off to Birdys tomorrow to return the loan lens and order one for myself :lol: PS: I forgot to mention the 28mm minimum size: There were a couple of times that I wished for the 18mm of the kit lens. I weighed up whether to switch lenses and lose resolution but in the end I used my "NIKE" wide angle adaptor. I took a couple of steps backward. Unless you are planning to take pics in a phonebox or huge pics of this wide brown land, 28mm (42mm in film terms) will do you 90% of the time.

PPS: Thank you to Thanh for the loan of the lens. I doubt that I will ever meet a kinder,more generous soul than you...
If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
johndec

Postby sirhc55 on Mon Nov 28, 2005 10:24 pm

I most heartily concur with this synposis of a fabulous lens - thanks Johndec and a couple of mine from the same lens:

Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Alpha_7 on Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:39 pm

I'm impressed by that 100% crop, most impressed.
Alpha_7

Postby johndec on Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:44 pm

Alpha_7 wrote:I'm impressed by that 100% crop, most impressed.

Considering I was using single area focus (I think) and therefore the focus point was probably somewhere near her right ear, hence her face was a few inches in front of the focus point, so am I :lol: :lol:
If I'm alone in a forest and my wife is not around to hear what I say, am I still wrong ??
johndec

Postby Digidegs on Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:02 am

Wow, that is really sharp!!! Beautifull eyes as well!!!
Did you get to test the MACRO side of the lens?
It would probably have limited use as a macro lens but would be interested in finding out. Need a replacement for my old Nikkor 35-70 AF 2.8 with "macro"
Cheers

Albert
Digidegs

Postby Onyx on Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:34 am

John, I think due to your review here the prices on this lens has shot up as demand rises! ;)

I can recall ~18mths ago before I obtained my D70 this lens was priced in line with the Nikkor 18-70DX, which made me consider it. I did a search on eGay just then and the one entry was $AU620 + post for a grey import.

Spada mentioned he got his second hand for a very nice price - but even at the ~$AU700 mark I think it's still good value if you're after the focal range and can live with the 'reverse' focus (the focus distance rotation is backwards from Nikkors IIRC).

It is one of the faster non-AFS lenses to auto focus. But the killer is the almost normal field of view on digital (42mm equiv), making it a normal to medium tele zoom instead of a wide to short tele zoom as it was intended. Sometimes the 'Nike' zoom will fail if you're backed up against a wall. Heck, I can recall 28/1.4 being not wide enough for shooting the xmas dinner last year.
Onyx

Postby Glen on Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:10 am

John, great review, particularly like the crop with breakfast around your nieces mouth, really shows what this lens can do. Nice shots by Chris too. Thanks
Glen

Postby timbo on Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:20 am

Thanks for that review, John. I've been considering this lens for a while now and you've made it look like a very attractive option.
timbo

Postby Alpha_7 on Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:37 am

What sort of price range are we talking about for this ? (Before I get my hopes up...).
Alpha_7

Postby Glen on Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:19 am

Craig, ECS have it at $625, I would imagine that the dog that flies would have it at similar or better :wink:
Glen

Postby Greg B on Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:29 pm

Sounds like pretty good value - I have had a couple of good Tamron lenses over the years
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby spada on Tue Nov 29, 2005 7:46 pm

Hi

This Tamron 28-75 has the sharpness equal or better to my kit lens ( AFS 24-85 ), but heavier and longer than the kit lens , it has useable sharpness at 2.8 and excelent at f5 ( this the good spot of my one ), plus low light usefulness and cheap too, I placed a bid of $ 350 on ebay about 6 month ago( It started at 350 ) and I got it because no one wanted it at that time , and it arrived to my door as new in box with all warranty card , receipt .. , it is now my walk around lens.

Tamron 28-75 , f5 , 1/200 @ 75mm, Av mode .
spada

Postby johndec on Fri Dec 02, 2005 6:41 pm

Digidegs wrote:Wow, that is really sharp!!! Beautifull eyes as well!!!
Did you get to test the MACRO side of the lens?
It would probably have limited use as a macro lens but would be interested in finding out. Need a replacement for my old Nikkor 35-70 AF 2.8 with "macro"
Cheers

Albert

Sorry Albert but I didn't check out any macro features. I think it's a pseudo macro anyway as there is no macro switch on the lens.
johndec

Return to Equipment Reviews