Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day

Details of events that may by of interest to members should be posted here. This way those who may be interested in attending can have a thread to cooordinate their activities at those events

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day

Postby muzz on Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:29 pm

Damn - missed it. Did anyone get involved?
Canon 7D | Canon 350D | G5 | S95 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.8 II | 70-200mm f2.8L USM | 430EX II | Strobist gear
muzz

Re: Worldwide Pinhole Photography Day

Postby surenj on Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:43 pm

Great idea. Wonder whether you can modify digital for pinhole use? :idea:
surenj

Postby muzz on Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:52 pm

Yes! I found this link from the "daily dose of imagery" site.
Canon 7D | Canon 350D | G5 | S95 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.8 II | 70-200mm f2.8L USM | 430EX II | Strobist gear
muzz

Postby Mr Darcy on Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:48 am

surenj wrote:Great idea. Wonder whether you can modify digital for pinhole use? :idea:

Muzz showed one way. A simpler way is to simply punch/drill a small hole in a body cap. then place a small piece of opaque tape over the hole and put a pin hole in it.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:51 am

Mr Darcy wrote:
surenj wrote:Great idea. Wonder whether you can modify digital for pinhole use? :idea:

Muzz showed one way. A simpler way is to simply punch/drill a small hole in a body cap. then place a small piece of opaque tape over the hole and put a pin hole in it.

Or, as I did, glue a thin piece of metal sheet over the drilled hole in the body cap and put a pin hole in it. It is important that there are no protruding edges resulting from the pin hole as this will, apparently soften the image. This can be achieved by using some wet and dry. I found the difficult, without a set of calipers, was finding the exact centre of the body cap.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby aim54x on Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:43 am

I bought one of these http://cgi.ebay.com/Skink-Pinhole-Pancake-Lens-for-Nikon-D60-D80-D90-D300_W0QQitemZ380120287335QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item380120287335 a while back, works well with my D300 but you have to buy the pinhole seperately (i bought the pinhole, the zone plate and the IR filter - which does not work on my D300). If you have a M42 adaptor for EOS you are welcome to play with mine (next time we are both at a meet, or if you PM me so we can arrange a loan).

Cheers
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Greg B on Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:58 pm

So let me get this right - we want to turn our triumph of engineering, our marvel of
optics and electronics, our highly sophisticated, evolved and expensive piece of
cutting edge equipment, into the equivalent of a cardboard box with a hole in it? :cough:
Greg - - - - D200 etc

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
- Arthur Schopenhauer
Greg B

Postby gstark on Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:58 pm

Greg B wrote:So let me get this right - we want to turn our triumph of engineering, our marvel of
optics and electronics, our highly sophisticated, evolved and expensive piece of
cutting edge equipment, into the equivalent of a cardboard box with a hole in it? :cough:

But it's a small hole. A very small hole. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby phillipb on Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:21 pm

gstark wrote:
Greg B wrote:So let me get this right - we want to turn our triumph of engineering, our marvel of

And that's the beauty of it, you can have an exposure or 1 hour or more in broad day light and make Pitt street look deserted, unless you can stand in one spot for all that time.

**Nikon D7000**
phillipb

Postby gstark on Fri May 01, 2009 9:31 am

phillipb wrote:
gstark wrote:

And that's the beauty of it, you can have an exposure or 1 hour or more in broad day light and make Pitt street look deserted, unless you can stand in one spot for all that time.

Which is how you will grab a photo of George St with no people but a line of buses. :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Events