APPAs & PMA - Brisbane

Details of events that may by of interest to members should be posted here. This way those who may be interested in attending can have a thread to cooordinate their activities at those events

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

APPAs & PMA - Brisbane

Postby Antsl on Fri May 02, 2008 12:25 pm

Hi All...
Is anyone going to the PMA Imaging Technology Show in Brisbane at the end of the month? It is the annual photography expo (think lots of nice new toys all in one place) and this year it is Brisbane's turn to host it. The event is on between Friday the 30th of May and Sunday, June 1st at the Brisbane Convention and Exhibition Centre. The Australian Professional Photography Awards (APPA's) will also be on up there .... it's a great chance to see some great images from some of Australia' s best photographers.
You can register online for PMA here. hopefully we will see some of you there.
cheers, Ants
Antsl

Re: APPAs & PMA - Brisbane

Postby Oz_Beachside on Fri May 02, 2008 12:45 pm

uh oh, might need to fire up the Beachside roadshow.... :lol:
Oz_Beachside

Postby JordanP on Fri May 02, 2008 1:55 pm

Yep - I'll be there Friday and Saturday - hope to catch up with some members if they are going :)
Craig
JordanP

Postby Joshman on Sat May 03, 2008 10:15 am

i plan on attending i've pre-registered and everything, the only thing stopping me may be work. but at this stage i'll be there.

just one question...are we allowed to bring cameras into the event? no doubt there's stuff there i'd like to grab photos of. also, is stuff available for purchase at these events, or are they a show and tell only?

hopefully see ya'll there!
Canon 400D | Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC OS | 50mm f1.8 | 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 | Sigma EF-530 DG SUPER ETTL-II
flickr
Joshman

Postby Antsl on Sat May 03, 2008 10:18 am

Joshman wrote: just one question...are we allowed to bring cameras into the event?

Yes... you can take cameras into PMA and the APPAs... my only advice is don't been seen to be taking photos of the photos on display at the APPAs... copyright!
Antsl

Postby Joshman on Sat May 03, 2008 10:44 am

Antsl wrote:
Joshman wrote: just one question...are we allowed to bring cameras into the event?

Yes... you can take cameras into PMA and the APPAs... my only advice is don't been seen to be taking photos of the photos on display at the APPAs... copyright!

ah yes. quite a good point you make. that's all good, i might just take my phone and use it's camera. i really only want pics for ideas and reminders. i might see some stuff that i can think of a way of doing DIY style.

save some moneys :D
Canon 400D | Sigma 18-200mm f3.5-6.3 DC OS | 50mm f1.8 | 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 | Sigma EF-530 DG SUPER ETTL-II
flickr
Joshman

Postby Antsl on Sat May 03, 2008 11:13 am

I would still take a camera along or at least a CF or SD card..... it can be rather fun trying out some of the toys that they have to play with at PMA .... particularly some of the nicer lenses.
Antsl

Postby servaasproducts on Wed May 28, 2008 1:10 am

Anyone who is at PMAA, come and say hi. We are exhibiting the full Powerex range at Stand 217

Cheers
Jeff
Servaas Products - Australian Distributor for Maha Powerex - The worlds best AA batteries and chargers.
servaasproducts

Postby Killakoala on Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:04 pm

Strangely for me, I found myself in Brisbane this week so I popped into the PMA on the weekend. Although it was not an exciting exhibition, I did enjoy the Adobe stand where they were giving out Lightroom 2 beta on cd which saves me downloading it. Marcus Bell gave a few lectures on using Lightroom and PSCS3 (as well as some serious self promotion ;) )

All in all it was a typical exhibition. There was lots to see but nothing unprecedented or amazing. I only met one person I knew too, but that's probably because I don't know many people in Brisvegas.

I have no photos as I stupidly forgot to take a camera.
Steve.
|D700| D2H | F5 | 70-200VR | 85 1.4 | 50 1.4 | 28-70 | 10.5 | 12-24 | SB800 |
Website-> http://www.stevekilburn.com
Leeds United for promotion in 2014 - Hurrah!!!
Killakoala

Postby Antsl on Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:58 pm

Hi all,
I hope some of you got along to the PMA and the APPA's... I was there for a couple of days but I decided to come home early. As Killakoala mentioned, the whole event was a bit underwhelming this year.. there was nothing really new to see and most people are fairly up to speed with everything these days anyway. I had a look at the Aperture 2.0 display and the Nikon stand but nothing else grabbed me.
I also took part in the judging at the APPAs. I judged all of Friday but as I was not rostered on for much on Saturday and Sunday I opted to head home early and get on with some work. I was a bit disappointed in the judging of the Documentary category... for some reason people were putting landscapes and still life into this section and for some reason the judges still saw fit to give such images silvers! The images that have possibly won the category were also in the wrong section for my liking... they were too much like the dark, caramel coated environmental portraits that have been winning the portrait category in recent years. In the end I was rather grumpy by the end of Friday morning. On the up side, a friend of mine looks like they might have won the title of portrait photographer of the year with a set of pet portraits!
Cheers for now, Ants
Antsl

Postby Oneputt on Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:58 pm

Got to try the Nikkor 600mm on a D3 today at the show and whow!! How long is it until Xmas? :D
"The good thing about meditation is that it makes doing nothing respectable"

D3 - http://www.oneputtphotographics.com
Oneputt

Postby adam on Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:14 pm

Oneputt wrote:Got to try the Nikkor 600mm on a D3 today at the show and whow!! How long is it until Xmas? :D

Long enough for us to start saving! 8)
---
Equipment: camera body, wide lens, standard lens, telephoto lens, flash
Wish list: skill
adam

Return to Events