A rare opportunity

Details of events that may by of interest to members should be posted here. This way those who may be interested in attending can have a thread to cooordinate their activities at those events

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Postby Geoff on Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:55 pm

Anyone wanting to see where we are at or what's happening can call my mobile:

0412 752 250
Geoff
Special Moments Photography
Nikon D700, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200 2.8VR, SB800 & some simple studio stuff.
Geoff

Postby Kyle on Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:55 pm

Domain carpark or opera house carpark geoff?
Kyle

Postby Geoff on Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:06 pm

No idea yet Kyle, I have a few ideas though. SMS or call me if you want. Cheers buddy.
For those even contemplating coming - u should - this should be some fun!
Geoff
Geoff

Postby Glen on Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:50 pm

Great to see everyone there (and every one else in Sydney!). A few quick images of a boat we saw:

Glen

Postby Geoff on Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:53 pm

It was fun Glen, all be it a LOT more crowded than anyone expected. Nice images too buddy. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
Geoff
Geoff

Postby rflower on Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:57 pm

Hooley Dooley ... that thing is HUGE !! :shock:

I especially like the first one posted Glen, showing the absolute size dwarfing the tour coaches.

Russell
Russell
Nikon D700 // 50 1.4 // 70-200 2.8 VRII // 24-120 f4// Tamron 90 // SB-800 // 70-300G
I'm on Redbubble too ... http://www.redbubble.com/people/rflower
If you can make one of my photos look better and you have the inclination ... please do so.
rflower

Postby Alpha_7 on Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:33 pm

Geoff wrote:It was fun Glen, all be it a LOT more crowded than anyone expected. Nice images too buddy. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Wake Up Geoff, your missing all the fun now!

Narh have a sleep man, I'm amazed you stayed upright.. how was the traffic.. hows was horrendous.. 2.5 hours to get to mortdale.
Alpha_7

Postby Kyle on Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:39 pm

Phone died when I got out there :(

I was looking for you guys, but there were SOOOO many people!

I left the chair at ~7.30 or so, had to get an earlyish run for the m4, thanks to traffic it took me 1.5 hours to get to penrith...

Well worth the trip though!!!!! :D

Here's where i was standing from 6.15 till i left..

And here's the view!

I'll put some others in another thread tomorrow i think..

Sorry I didn't get to meet up with you guys, i was really looking forward to it! :(
I even asked a few people if theyre were members of 'dslrusers forums' hah!

Ciao
Kyle

Postby Glen on Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:08 am

Kyle great different images. There was so many people, I think if we had known how many we would have thought it ambitious to have a meet there. Even with a working phone it was difficult.

Russell, I know what you mean about the size. Here is an image which isn't much but I like how it shows how much bigger the QM2 is than the wharf.

Glen

Postby michael_ on Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:17 am

people? i got there late so couldnt even get to see much and left the phone in the car so took off all pissed off, ohh well went out this morning took a few of the QE2 instead
michael_

Postby gstark on Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:17 am

I spoke with Leigh while he was walking there, and then with Geoff, who told me that the closest parking they could find was up near St Vincents, and that they were walking amongst a crowd of literally thousands of people.

I very rarely do crowds - I really abhor bulk events - andarmed with the information from Geoff, plus looking at the traffic heading into the city at that time of early evening, I decided to pass on this one.

As Glen said, it was - in hindsight - ambitious to consider having a meet there under the circumstances, but I really don't think that anybody expected the masses of people to turn out as they did. It was, after all, a normal school day.

I'm hearing criticism this morning of the government and city council for their lack of preparedness for this, and although it was certainly given a lot of publicity, I think this went so far beyond the expectations of everyone, that I don't know that they failed in their (lack of) preparedness for this one.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby michael_ on Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:25 pm

i took my mum for a drive from about lunch time to about 15 different vantage points around the harbour from cremorne point out to sydney harbour park out near manly and back on the outh side all the way down to watsons bay and EVERY single spot was packed with people and this was from about 1pm till 5pm, she then dropped me off outside botanical gardens and i walked, and i too have to agree with geoff i havent seen this many people before in sydney and it was surprising to see most of them being 60's +, either way i was glad to of been amongst it even though i didnt take any shots, i felt a little weird with the crowds taking photos (just me i guess)
michael_

Postby Glen on Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:52 pm

Michael, it sounds like you tried out every vantage point.

Gary, I think Geoff and I did about 8-9km last night, probably lost 2 kgs and had sore feet when I got home (but no foot massage from Terri :lol: ). I agree, the govt ballsed up, but not as bad as made out, it wasn't there event, it was Cunard trying to publicise the 'romance of life afloat' or more correctly how to pay $250k to have a matter of hours in Sydney at Harry Cafe de Wheels.
Glen

Postby Nnnnsic on Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:34 pm

I thought I'd attach this in the thread. Not being one who got onto the lockers Geoff, Glen & the others were on (they didn't have a really brilliant exit plan and I didn't trust the structural integrity of garbage bins and my luck), I noted that with all the masses taking pictures of a really, really big boat... the masses ON the boat were taking pictures of the masses on our side taking pictures of a really, really big boat.

Which must be why when I took a crowd shot on the 300mm of those masses on the boat, I was lucky to get a chimping shot. I've blown it up a bit so excuse the pixelation...

Ha! I didn't even notice the girl chimping on her P&S above the DSLR guys. 3 Chimps with one shot!
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby sirhc55 on Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:39 pm

Great shot of Cunard staff photographing the unlucky ones :wink:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Previous

Return to Events