Warbirds over Wanaka (NZ) - Easter 2006

Details of events that may by of interest to members should be posted here. This way those who may be interested in attending can have a thread to cooordinate their activities at those events

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Warbirds over Wanaka (NZ) - Easter 2006

Postby cordy on Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:19 pm

http://www.warbirdsoverwanaka.com/

So who's keen? Myself and my wife are going, along with a few others from Canberra. This is probably one of the best warbird shows going in the world
cordy

Postby birddog114 on Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:19 pm

Yes, another 6 months to go mate! I was there last year and am going next year as usual.
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby cordy on Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:55 pm

Yah, i'm just contemplating making my travel arrangements now whilst airfares are reasonably cheap still :)
cordy

Postby birddog114 on Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:01 pm

cordy wrote:Yah, i'm just contemplating making my travel arrangements now whilst airfares are reasonably cheap still :)

The airfare & accomodation are cheap now but not at that time, it's in Easter holiday break + schooll holiday period.

The only thing is you can booking your airfare and land content now easier than wait till closed to that date.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby antman on Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:04 pm

The flimsy biplanes of World War I, the heroes of World War II, the fighters of Korea and the awesome jets of Vietnam are all flown in exciting scenarios that recreate history right before your eyes. Participation by aircraft of the Royal New Zealand Air Force completes the scene.

Does NZ still even have an Air Force ?
Geoff C

My Gallery:http://geoffc.smugmug.com/
antman

Postby cordy on Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:31 am

Erm not really. They have the 2 757's which are part of the VIP fleet and some P-3 Orions. There may be a few Skyhawks still kicking around. Any Kiwi's out there I would be happy to correct me if im wrong

Chris
cordy

Postby birddog114 on Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:34 am

cordy wrote:Erm not really. They have the 2 757's which are part of the VIP fleet and some P-3 Orions. There may be a few Skyhawks still kicking around. Any Kiwi's out there I would be happy to correct me if im wrong

Chris

Does the Kiwi know how to fly? The kangaroo did! :wink:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby sheepie on Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:40 am

cordy wrote:Erm not really. They have the 2 757's which are part of the VIP fleet and some P-3 Orions. There may be a few Skyhawks still kicking around. Any Kiwi's out there I would be happy to correct me if im wrong
Chris

I think we crashed all of them over Nowra! There's rumours around that there's a whole fleet of B52's (?) under Ohakea - but that's another story ;)
I think they're still trying to get rid of the Skyhawks, may be a few trainers still around, but they've basically gone with a surveillance and supplies role now.
*** When getting there is half the fun! ***
sheepie
Key Member

Location: Picnic Point, Sydney Australia *** Nikon D200/D70 ***

Postby birddog114 on Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:44 am

sheepie,
You should go to the Wanaka next year instead of going there by Xmas time!

No Airshow overthere by Xmas :lol: and perhaps you have to swim or paddle back to Australia once your trip is over. :lol: :lol:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby gecko on Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:39 pm

Does NZ still even have an Air Force ?

One of the main airforce bases was just outside Blenheim, in the prime wine growing district of Marlborough. When they scrapped the skyhawks they were able to shorten the runway and turn it into vinyards - now making a healthy profit. :lol: :lol:

Grapes taste a bit of JP4 though

Sorry to any kiwis - I can't get enough of the place and love it to death!!!
Nikon D70, SB600, Benbo Trekker, LSII, KingPano and a lot to learn!
gecko

Postby gecko on Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:41 pm

Wanaka is an amazing place and worthy of a visit even if the Warbirds were not flying. It is my dream place to live....

Hmmm back to work to pay for my dreams! :roll:

Gecko
Nikon D70, SB600, Benbo Trekker, LSII, KingPano and a lot to learn!
gecko

Postby Antsl on Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:04 pm

Birddog114 wrote: Does the Kiwi know how to fly? The kangaroo did! :wink:

Kiwis were flying long before the Aussies were ... ever heard of Richard Pearce ... he was flying his own fixed wing aircraft about the same time as the Wright Brothers.

As for an airforce these days, New Zealand just has transports (727s, Hercs and small twins) along with the Oriens. I think that recently sold the Skyhawks and jet trainers to an American training company.
Antsl

Postby birddog114 on Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:16 pm

Antsl wrote: [
Kiwis were flying long before the Aussies were ... ever heard of Richard Pearce ... he was flying his own fixed wing aircraft about the same time as the Wright Brothers.

Thanks, I knew the history :wink:

As for an airforce these days, New Zealand just has transports (727s, Hercs and small twins) along with the Oriens. I think that recently sold the Skyhawks and jet trainers to an American training company.

Just as for now, the Kiwi could not fly same as the Kangaroo did :wink:

They crashed their toys (beloved Skyhawks) over Nowra and now sold all of them, I think they want to swim or paddle more than flying :lol:

I had few chances in flying along and worked with the Kiwi AF in the VietNam War but done more number of flights with RAAF in rotary and fixed wings.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Antsl on Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:15 pm

The big argument for loosing the fighter segment of the New Zealand airforce was that the NZ government could not afford to keep up with the big boys (given that state-of-the-art aircraft are now costing more than naval patrol vessels!) Instead the money has been spent on upgrading the army and navy which have been deployed to good effect on peace keeping roles about the world over the past decade. Despite the uproar by some people it seems that most New Zealanders are content with the current situation.

Even though Australia has a good airforce it too would be better served by more navy patrol vessels for the moment along with a couple of Global Hawk survaillance aircraft to control the northern invasion.
Antsl

Warbirds

Postby Ree on Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:40 am

Hi all,

Just go back from Wanaka last week, Peter Jackson (King Kong etc) is currently finishing off a new warbirds collection for the public to lookie at in a small town near Nelson. My husband and myself were lucky efford to view the planes a few weeks ago while we while over there before the place opens up (being a flyer opens many closed doors 8) ) .
If you are into planes and can't get over to NZ for what ever reasons. Go to Temora in NSW. They have a outstanding collection of warbirds and they have monthly fly days! (thanks to David Lowie Westfields).

If you are into Aerobatics the NSW Aerobatic Club has their State Champs there every Labour Long Weekend. As a member I know that they wouldn't care if a pack of friendly camera lover's turned up to watch and shoot!

They have gotten use to me doing it over the past few years!

The Australian Nationals are on over the Easter break in Parkes NSW and is a very packed four days (but not as packed as Wanaka)!
Ree

Postby Raskill on Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:49 am

Chris

I think there is a squadron of Skyhawks still at HMAS Albatros near Nowra NSW, at least there was a few years ago anyways.
Last edited by Raskill on Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
2x D700, 2x D2h, lenses, speedlights, studio, pelican cases, tripods, monopods, patridges, pear trees etc etc

http://www.awbphotos.com.au
Raskill

Postby birddog114 on Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:51 am

Ree,
I was in Wanaka for the warbird shows few times in the past and love to come back this year.
I also very happy if I have an opportunity to meet some of you at some airshows, open days etc...
Yes, I've been in Temora few times, great to see the restored A-37B and the Bird Dog (O1-E) in the museum with our VNAF scheme & insignia.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Ree on Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:05 pm

Birddog' hi

Sounds lovely. How about the next show or comp we go to , I will post something to invite anyone who wants to come along!

We try to fly every weekend, once it's in your veins, its HARD to get out!

:D
Ree

Postby birddog114 on Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:14 pm

Ree wrote:Birddog' hi

Sounds lovely. How about the next show or comp we go to , I will post something to invite anyone who wants to come along!

We try to fly every weekend, once it's in your veins, its HARD to get out!

:D

Thanks and pls. keep me posted.
Birddog114
birddog114

Return to Events