Some Adelaide meet ideas

For the Westies. So to speak.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Some Adelaide meet ideas

Postby Big V on Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:19 pm

Hello All, just been thinking of some possibilities for up-comming meets.
1. Port Adelaide - lots of old buildings plus boats to shoot
2. Adelaide Zoo - once the new big cat enclosure is finished
What are some other suggestions?
Canon
Big V

Re: Some Adelaide meet ideas

Postby fozzie on Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:38 pm

Big V,

Big V wrote:Hello All, just been thinking of some possibilities for up-comming meets.
1. Port Adelaide - lots of old buildings plus boats to shoot
2. Adelaide Zoo - once the new big cat enclosure is finished
What are some other suggestions?

:idea: : At the end of one of the main runways of Adelaide Airport there is an observation deck (seaside) just off Tapley's Hill Road, and within 5 minutes walk a picnic area (lunch anybody) with birdlife ie. Pelicans, Cormorants, and bloody ducks. Would be good for a 'Family Day' with something for everybody.
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby Big V on Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:27 pm

Not only that but the skate park as well, good for trying action shots...
Canon
Big V

Postby frink on Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:16 pm

Funny how this post came up, was just tossing about some ideas for a shoot with a mate.. :lol:

Rymill park and the east end. Lots of interesting buildings around North Terrace and King William St, as well as the Festival Centre area.

I'm always up for the zoo, even though Adelaide Zoo does seem to be in decline :? A new big cat enclosure could be excellent.. :)

Stephen.
Stephen
frink

Postby nat on Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:16 pm

All good ideas.

If around the airport region on a clear sunny day, you can get good shots of the marina and surrounds near the Patawalonga entrance.

I agree Big V - Port Adelaide has a huge variety of opportunities. It would be easy to spend a day there.

An idea to keep in mind for Autumn is the Barossa Valley. I have seen some magnificent photos of the late afternoon sunlight on the red/brown vine leaves with some of the historic winery buildings in the baackground. The added bonus of spending time photographing the Valley is the chance to enjoy a drop of red or two as you go!
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
nat

Postby Big V on Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:30 pm

All good suggestions, if we did something which has been done before, we could go for a them, i.e. colour or shapes, lines, old v new etc etc
Canon
Big V

Postby oli on Sun Aug 28, 2005 9:33 am

Big V wrote:Not only that but the skate park as well, good for trying action shots...

Around the Glenelg area is often nice, but I can tell you now that the skate park isn't particularly interesting for 'action' shots. There are rarely skateboarders there who appear to be what I'd call good. I think I've seen people in the huge half pipe actually skating properly once since it was built.

I live at West Beach and pass it often. :) PS. Hi, my first post!
Last edited by oli on Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
oli

Postby fozzie on Sun Aug 28, 2005 10:37 am

Welcome to the forum oli,

oli wrote:
Big V wrote:Not only that but the skate park as well, good for trying action shots...

Around the Glenelg area is often nice, but I can tell you now that the skate park isn't particularly interesting for 'action' shots. There are rarely skateboarders there who appear to be what I'd call good. I think I've seen people in the huge half pipe actually skating properly once since it was built.

I live at West Beach and pass it often. :) PS. Hi, my first post!

Would you please place in your profile where you are from for the benefit of other members ie. West Beach, SA as well as what type of camera you shoot with: Nikon - D70s, Canon 300D or 350D....

Look forward to seeing many more posts, and also some of your shots.

Big V - so where are we going in September :?:
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby Marvin on Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:01 am

Hi Oli,
Welcome - hope to see you at a meet. We are so good at making decisions here, we just need someone to tell us what to do! :roll:
Fozzie, Big V is currently in the Land of Nod. I am listening to him snore as I type!
Marvin
Nikon D7000
Marvin

Postby Marvin on Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:08 am

Big V is now back from the Land of Nod and is wondering if anyone is going to the Show next week. A mini challenge from him - who can get the best woodchopping, fireworks or action shot from the main arena?
Nikon D7000
Marvin

Postby fozzie on Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:16 am

Marvin,

Marvin wrote:Hi Oli,
Welcome - hope to see you at a meet. We are so good at making decisions here, we just need someone to tell us what to do! :roll:
Fozzie, Big V is currently in the Land of Nod. I am listening to him snore as I type!
Marvin

So Pete and Tony are in hangovers condition this morning :lol:

You are in for a fun day :roll:
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby oli on Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:17 am

Gee. It's surprising to see people awake at this hour on a Sunday!

Thanks fozzie. I've updated my details (was intending to do that eventually).
Marvin, indecisiveness seems common on all forums. :?
Photo gallery online <a href="http://photoden.net/oliver">here</a> and some more on deviantArt <a href="http://oliau.deviantart.com">here</a>.
oli

Postby fozzie on Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:21 am

Marvin,

Marvin wrote:Big V is now back from the Land of Nod.

Therefore he is now in a position to make a decision re next meet in September which will have to be 'Adelaide Meet # 5.1' :P
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby fozzie on Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:29 am

oli,

oli wrote:Gee. It's surprising to see people awake at this hour on a Sunday!

Been up since 5am. Brought in the paper, had breakfast, changed a light globe, one load of washing on the line, and now party time on the forum.
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby Marvin on Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:30 am

Hi Fozzie,
No, Tony doesn't drink and Pete is just tired. I'm the poor soul who went out to a netball presentation night last night and am in the "hangover way". But, one of us had to get up to the kids! The boys stayed at home last night with the rug rats. Have junior netball thing today. Can't wait for it to be over!!! :roll:
Tony says he is recovering from his "cutting edge" photography yesterday - taping his lenses together (like Monty) and trying out reversing his 50mm to get some macro shots. Apparently it takes a lot out of you!!
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Nikon D7000
Marvin

Postby DanielA on Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:17 pm

Hi Marvin,
Marvin wrote:Big V is now back from the Land of Nod and is wondering if anyone is going to the Show next week. A mini challenge from him - who can get the best woodchopping, fireworks or action shot from the main arena?

I'll be heading off to the show on Sat and was planning on checking out the woodchopping (give the 80-400VR another run :D ). I don't plan to stay for the fireworks. But tell Big V he's on :twisted:

Anyone else going?

Oli, welcome to the forum!

Daniel
Nikon D4, D2Xs, D70, Nikkors and Sigmas lenses from 10 to 400mm
www.DSAimages.com
DanielA

Postby Marvin on Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:14 pm

OK Daniel. Big V says great. And from now on he can do his own dirty work!
Nikon D7000
Marvin

Postby fozzie on Sun Aug 28, 2005 3:28 pm

I haven't been to the Royal Adelaide Show for about 20 years, and have no intentions of going this year or any other :)

So I will have to catch up with everyone at the next meet (September) :lol:
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby Big V on Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:31 pm

Back from the riverland now...Daniel, you are on, duelling 80-400 lenses at the woodchopping... Fozzie we might shoot for a mid september mini meet. We could even do a night shoot around Adelaide...
Canon
Big V

Postby BBJ on Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:55 pm

Some nice places in most of the erea's you have all mentioned, i would love to get and have a look at the zoo maybe when i am up there in a few weeks time on the 16th i head up for docs. Here is a few i took last trip up that way.
The Airport sounds ok to Fozzie, cant wait till i get to come meet up again with you all.
Cheers
John
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Postby Big V on Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:10 am

John, some nice pics there...how do you find your sigma 70-200 lens?
Canon
Big V

Postby BBJ on Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:27 am

I like it, i think it is fine and i use it most of the time but these shots were all done with the kit lens.
I think the Sigma is great as in it doesnt have VR but that did not fuss me as to what i use it for anyhow and for less than 1/2 price of Nikon i find it is very easy to use and zoom is loverly and smooth and easy and can zoom using 1 finger. Focus is fast i did have an issue but think that may have been the camera, but use it at the track most times.
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
BBJ

Postby fozzie on Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:38 pm

Big V,

Big V wrote: Fozzie we might shoot for a mid september mini meet. We could even do a night shoot around Adelaide...

Night shoot sounds interesting and also very challenging. Wherever and whenever count me in :)
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby BBJ on Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:39 pm

How about 16th next month? :lol: Ok just havin my 2 cents worth, back to getting my picture's into the local paper for this weeks motorsport section.
BBJ

Postby oli on Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:48 pm

fozzie wrote:Night shoot sounds interesting and also very challenging. Wherever and whenever count me in :)

Pretty much any date would suit me, as a student my timetable is probably more flexible than most other peoples...

Since you mention night photos, I thought I'd ask this question (since I don't see any threads on this forum outside of the "Image Reviews and Critiques" area for people to share photos): Can I start a thread for night photos around Adelaide in this subforum? :?:

I'm sure someone else apart from me has some to share!

If so then I presume the 'standard forum size' 800px wide is OK? :?:
Photo gallery online <a href="http://photoden.net/oliver">here</a> and some more on deviantArt <a href="http://oliau.deviantart.com">here</a>.
oli

Postby Marvin on Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:09 pm

Hi Oli,
Of course you can start a thread in the Adelaide section with your night photos. Other people probably would have some to share.
And, yes I think that 800 wide would be OK. Just as long as you remember that some of us paupers live in the country where we can't get broadband yet and don't post whoppers! :wink:
It would be good to see you at a meet.
Marvin
Nikon D7000
Marvin

Postby oli on Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:28 am

Is the Gluepot reserve trip going ahead? Will this be a daytrip or how is it organised?
oli

Postby fozzie on Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:39 am

oli,

oli wrote:Is the Gluepot reserve trip going ahead? Will this be a daytrip or how is it organised?

The Gluepot trip is a goer as far as I am concerned and will be a day trip. I know that a number of us will be staying in the local vicinity (Waikerie) the night before, which will permit sunset and also dawn shooting. Exact format for the Sunday is yet to be fixed. This can be discussed at the September Meet or over the forum at this thread. Local members input would be greatly appreciated ie. Marvin, hame come to mind.
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby psionic on Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:01 pm

Howdy,

The Port Adelaide region is very easy to whittle away a day taking different photo's. I've lost many hours and a few weekends wandering around with the new purchase. My wife hates it when I take the camera shopping... you know just in case :D

If you have a reasonable zoom taking a ride on the two tour boats for an hour down river can be quite fun. Just remember to stock up on food & drink before getting on board, they dont make a profit from the $2 entry fee.

On windy, relatively cloud free days taking a spin down the Esplanade towards Fort Glandville you might catch a few kite surfers in the waves. These can be especially tricky to catch a good photo of but not impossible. Heading up to North Haven can yield good yacht shots, especially if the Royal Yacht Squadron has a race finishing in the River.

The two jetties around Semaphore and Largs Bay offer some interesting twilight shots if in the area around that time. Better to wait for summer and then drop into the Evil Take2 Icecream shop

I'd like to make it to one of the trips before I head off to America for 6 months (main reason for new purchase). I see from people sig's a few of the lenses that I am intending to return with...
- "There... I've said my bit !"

> D70s, AF-S DX 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G, AF-S DX 12-24mm f/4, AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G, AF-S 50mm f/1.4D, SB800, now broke <
psionic

Postby fozzie on Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:10 pm

psionic - welcome to the forum :)

I actually work in Port Adelaide and lived in Devon Street, Largs Bay for a number of years.

Look forward to your input and shots in due course.
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby Big V on Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:51 pm

I think we should try and organise something for the 16th..seems to be a few people who are available and it will give us a chance to meet some new faces..
Canon
Big V

Postby fozzie on Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:17 pm

Big V,

Big V wrote:I think we should try and organise something for the 16th..seems to be a few people who are available and it will give us a chance to meet some new faces..

Friday the 16th September works for me :)

Leave you to come up with meeting place and time.
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby DanielA on Tue Aug 30, 2005 9:25 pm

Big V wrote:I think we should try and organise something for the 16th..seems to be a few people who are available and it will give us a chance to meet some new faces..

Sounds good. I'm interested to hear the details. :D

Daniel
Nikon D4, D2Xs, D70, Nikkors and Sigmas lenses from 10 to 400mm
www.DSAimages.com
DanielA

Postby Big V on Tue Aug 30, 2005 10:25 pm

The 16th is not going to work for me, I will be in Murray Bridge for the 24hr pedal prix event, bummer...I will however order some fine weather for you to enjoy
Canon
Big V

Postby psionic on Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:00 pm

fozzie wrote:psionic - welcome to the forum :)

I actually work in Port Adelaide and lived in Devon Street, Largs Bay for a number of years.

Look forward to your input and shots in due course.

Fozzie, Thanks for the welcome and well spotted... Devon St is only around the corner, I'm just the otherside of the road from Peterhead.

Hope to get to one of the Adelaide based Meets, just got to find some time before I head O/S.

> D70s, AF-S DX 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G, AF-S DX 12-24mm f/4, AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G, AF-S 50mm f/1.4D, SB800, now broke <
psionic

Postby oli on Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:05 am

The skate park at West Beach (which was mentioned earlier in this thread) is holding a skate competition this coming weekend at 1PM on Saturday.

I'm not sure when it goes till. Unfortunately I have other plans so I won't be able to go.

Apparently the half pipe is the biggest in Australia so there are probably some good opportunities to catch some good skaters in action during the competition.
oli

Postby psionic on Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:39 am

I can picture it now as the Adelaide D70 paparitzi get out of cars with there telephoto selection and start snapping. The Skaters won't know what hit them.. 8)

Thanks for the heads up I'm down that way on Sunday so the camera might get a workout :lol:

/M.

psionic

Postby psionic on Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:41 am

:oops: Errr.... I meant Saturday...

/M.

psionic

Postby fozzie on Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:18 am

psionic - unfortunately I have a prior committment, otherwise I would have joined in. Weather looks OK, mainly fine and 23C :)
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby Marvin on Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:05 pm

It does sound good and I'll be in town but will have the rug rats in tow!
Don't forget the upcoming Gluepot meet in a months time.
Nikon D7000
Marvin

Return to Adelaide and Perth