Places to visit in Adelaide

For the Westies. So to speak.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Places to visit in Adelaide

Postby joey on Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:01 pm

I will have three days off. I want to visit several places in Adelaide and possibly greater South Australia. I will be taking my photography gear with me to take some photos.
I was thinking of going to the Kangaroo Island, Barossa Valley or Flinders Rangers. These destinations have been recommended to me by my friends.

Which places do you recommend to visit? These places should be accessible by public transport.

Thanks!
joey

Postby bouyant_clown on Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:00 pm

hi joey, they would all be great places to visit and photograph, but you'll be struggling to get there using public transport.
Perhaps if you suggest what you are most interested in photographing it would be easier to suggest a location that is suitable and accessable to you.
Generally the city is a pretty good place to start, markets, zoo, riverbanks, botanic gardens, something for everyone.
bouyant_clown

Postby beetleboy on Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:59 pm

You could always take one of those McLaren Vale or Barossa tours on a bus, they're about $100 but not bad value..only problem is you end up travelling on someone else's timetable which can suck!

If you're thinking more local (scratch Flinders etc!) you could try some of the places where mini-meets have been held; such as Port Adelaide, Pinky Flat etc?
beetleboy

Postby joey on Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:00 am

Port Adelaide, the City, Riverbank, Botanic Garden, Glenelg and the Central Markets; these I have photographed many times.
I have not been to Adelaide Zoo; I don’t have a telephoto lens. Once I buy 180mm F/2.8 I will visit Zoo too.

Where's Pinky Flat? :)
joey

Postby beetleboy on Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:37 am

Wow, you get around!!

Pinky Flat is a great spot to take sunset/twilight photo's of the city. It's on the Northern side of the River Torrens and the Eastern side of Morphett St bridge - i think!
beetleboy

Postby rookie2 on Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:32 am

victor harbour is always an easy day trip with some interesting photo ops - granite island - surf beaches, cockle train (weekends)

when you have your telephoto the nature park (Urimbirra?) just before Victor is well worth a visit to get up and close to koalas, kangaroos, crocodiles - very spacious and natural.

happy travels
rookie2

Postby Lukaszek on Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:43 pm

Nice places are Goolwa, Victor Harbour, Hallet Cove Conservation Reserve, perhaps Port Noarlunga. All south from Adelaide

You should be able to catch train to last two and buses to Goolwa, Victor Harbour.
Lukaszek

Return to Adelaide and Perth