Adelaide - next meet....

For the Westies. So to speak.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Postby bouyant_clown on Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:06 pm

Until 2 weeks ago i worked quite close to the evaporation ponds area / dry creek wetlands. Although i have never actually stopped off there from driving past i have noticed various parking bays and walking trails through the wetlands and offering veiws over the ponds. Access is off of Salisbury highway, south of the Port Wakfield Rd bridge.
unfortunatly i cannot make sunday morning but i think that those attending would be happy with a meet in that area (plus save the hassle of forms and keys).
bouyant_clown

Postby fozzie on Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:37 pm

bouyant_clown:

bouyant_clown wrote:Until 2 weeks ago i worked quite close to the evaporation ponds area / dry creek wetlands. Although i have never actually stopped off there from driving past i have noticed various parking bays and walking trails through the wetlands and offering veiws over the ponds. Access is off of Salisbury highway, south of the Port Wakfield Rd bridge.
unfortunatly i cannot make sunday morning but i think that those attending would be happy with a meet in that area (plus save the hassle of forms and keys).

The area you are talking about off the Salisbury Highway must be the same one as 'Big V' was talking to me about on the phone last night, and therefore no hassles with forms or key/s. Thank you for your information.
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby fozzie on Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:57 pm

*** Update ***

Due to a number of logistical problems the trip to Cheetham Salt Fields, Dry Creek is off on Sunday 22 January, 2006.

In it's place, I suggest we go with digitor's plan of:

I'm thinking cold beers and lunch at the Irish pub on the cafe strip opposite the Botanic Gardens Nth Tce Entrance (I think it's a P J O'Briens), whaddya reckon?

Further to that, I would recommend meeting say at the kiosk in the Botanic Gardens between 10:45-11:00am for introductions, before moving across the road to P.J.O'Briens for a beer or soft drink and bit to eat. After lunch into the City to take shots of the 'Tour Down Under' starting at 1:30pm. Definite starters, please respond to this post.

This Meet is now covered on the home page, calendar section as: 22 Jan 2006 - P.J.O'Briens & Tour Down Under Meet, Adelaide

Starters so far are: DanielA, digitor, robw25, Big V and fozzie.

With the possibility of bouyant_clown sometime at the circuit.

If anyone would like to purchase a Giotto Air Rocket ($18.00 Inc. GST) I can bring it or them along on Sunday. Colours available: black, pastel pink and blue. Please send me a PM with quantity and colour by 9:30am on Sunday 22 January.
Last edited by fozzie on Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:09 pm, edited 8 times in total.
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby DanielA on Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:52 pm

fozzie wrote:If interested, please respond to this post.

I'm interested. I need another go at catching the bikes...

I haven't been following the full thread, so this if for this Sunday?

Daniel
Nikon D4, D2Xs, D70, Nikkors and Sigmas lenses from 10 to 400mm
www.DSAimages.com
DanielA

Postby fozzie on Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:55 pm

DanielA - this Sunday, January 22.

DanielA wrote:
fozzie wrote:If interested, please respond to this post.

I'm interested. I need another go at catching the bikes...

I haven't been following the full thread, so this if for this Sunday?

Daniel

So are you definite?
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby DanielA on Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:01 pm

fozzie wrote:So are you definite?

Sure. Yep. OK. :D

Daniel
www.DSAimages.com
DanielA

Postby digitor on Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:37 pm

fozzie wrote:*** Update ***

Due to a number of logistical problems the trip to Cheetham Salt Fields, Dry Creek is off on Sunday 22 January, 2006.

In it's place, I suggest we go with digitor's plan of:

I'm thinking cold beers and lunch at the Irish pub on the cafe strip opposite the Botanic Gardens Nth Tce Entrance (I think it's a P J O'Briens), whaddya reckon?

I'll be there - see you Sunday!

Cheers
What's another word for "thesaurus"?
digitor

Postby robw25 on Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:00 pm

i am "allowed" to go to adelaide this weekend so i will be there as well, i might have to get somebody to pick me up from the train station though ?
or if they are passing andrews farm in elizabeth they could give me a lift ?

cheers rob
robw25

Postby fozzie on Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:02 pm

Rob - I will collect you from the train station, unless you get a better offer.

robw25 wrote:i am "allowed" to go to adelaide this weekend so i will be there as well, i might have to get somebody to pick me up from the train station though ?
or if they are passing andrews farm in elizabeth they could give me a lift ?

cheers rob
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby Big V on Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:38 pm

I am in...
Canon
Big V

Postby bouyant_clown on Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:59 pm

Fozzie, where abouts do you intend to be for the bikes at 1:30? I may well be able to join you around then (am travelling to adel from meningie late morning)
bouyant_clown

Postby fozzie on Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:13 pm

bouyant_clown,

bouyant_clown wrote:Fozzie, where abouts do you intend to be for the bikes at 1:30? I may well be able to join you around then (am travelling to adel from meningie late morning)

I have no idea at the moment.

Perhaps someone could recommend somewhere :?:

If it is still undecided before you leave, and if you have a mobile phone, I can PM you my number now, so we can keep in touch.

Here is a website showing the circuit for Sunday:

http://www.tourdownunder.com.au/2006/in ... es/stage5m
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby bouyant_clown on Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:18 pm

Thanks fozzie, have sent you a pm.
bouyant_clown

Postby robw25 on Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:20 pm

fozzie
i will be leaving smithfield on the 9.10 train which will arrive at the city at 9.50 i will send you a message when i arrive !

cheers rob
robw25

Postby fozzie on Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:23 pm

Rob,

robw25 wrote:fozzie
i will be leaving smithfield on the 9.10 train which will arrive at the city at 9.50 i will send you a message when i arrive !

cheers rob

Glad to see that you made it to Adelaide in one piece.

I will see you out front of the Hotel next door at about 10am then.
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby digitor on Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:34 pm

cheers rob

Hi Rob,

A tad warm at the moment! The BOM is reporting 44.0 C at Roseworthy (close to Smithfield) at 16:30, and 42.8 in the city :shock: :shock:

If any of the bike riders are still alive after today's stage, we might get some good shots tomorrow.

See you then :P

Cheers
digitor

Postby robw25 on Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:43 pm

digitor wrote:

cheers rob

Hi Rob,

A tad warm at the moment! The BOM is reporting 44.0 C at Roseworthy (close to Smithfield) at 16:30, and 42.8 in the city :shock: :shock:

If any of the bike riders are still alive after today's stage, we might get some good shots tomorrow.

See you then :P

Cheers

hi ian yes i am looking forward to it ! are you going with bigv tomorrow night ( stargazing ) ?

cheers robw
robw25

Postby digitor on Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:49 pm

robw25 wrote:hi ian yes i am looking forward to it ! are you going with bigv tomorrow night ( stargazing ) ?

cheers robw

I didn't know there was any stargazing happening Rob - perhaps we'll organise something tomorrow.

Cheers
digitor

Postby BBJ on Sat Jan 21, 2006 7:05 pm

Hey Fella's you all have fun out in that heat, as i went to bikes this morning for a couple of hours then came home to my aircon. Gonna be a warm one tomorrow as well so you all have fun, i will think of you all up there.
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
80-400VR,SB800,Vosonic X Drive,VP6210 40
http://www.oz-images.com
BBJ

Postby xorl on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:37 am

bouyant_clown wrote:Until 2 weeks ago i worked quite close to the evaporation ponds area / dry creek wetlands. Although i have never actually stopped off there from driving past i have noticed various parking bays and walking trails through the wetlands and offering veiws over the ponds. Access is off of Salisbury highway, south of the Port Wakfield Rd bridge.

fozzie wrote:The area you are talking about off the Salisbury Highway must be the same one as 'Big V' was talking to me about on the phone last night, and therefore no hassles with forms or key/s. Thank you for your information.

Just a heads up.. I finally got around to checking out the wetlands on the weekend. It was a bit of a disappointment. The signs out front show walking trails, but the paths have been secured by locked gates. It looks like you need to get permission from somewhere before actually walking anywhere interesting. It's not even clear if they allow access to the general public..
Mark
xorl

Postby Big V on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:58 am

Xorl, looks like we will have to use the bird hides which are along the salisbury highway extension i.e the bit after the bridge which joins onto the port expressway. These are found on both the left and right hand side of the roads. Fozzie and I are having a mini meet this thursday, we may decide to go down there in the arvo for a look..
Canon
Big V

Postby xorl on Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:10 pm

I went to the Barker(?) Inlet area. There are parks on both sides of the highway. When heading north up the Pt Wakefield highway and turning left onto Salisbury highway, the Barker Inlet area is found a little bit before the first bridge. Does this sound like the same place?

I checked both sides of the road but everything except the slightly raised lookouts were locked. You might want to check with the council to see if special permission is required before heading down there.
Mark
xorl

Postby Big V on Mon Feb 20, 2006 12:35 pm

No, that is too far down the road.. these bird hides are well sign posted once you pull into the car park..
Canon
Big V

Postby xorl on Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:17 am

Fozzie & Big V, just curious, how was the venue for the mini meet?
Mark
xorl

Postby Big V on Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:49 am

WE found plenty of locked gates but have found an excellent spot, just off salisbury highway....easy access and plenty to shoot. While we were in the area, we had a look down at pelican point - again access has been restricted, so no good.
Canon
Big V

Postby Big V on Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:49 pm

Reminder, mini meet this thursday starting at 10.15 Adelaide Zoo...
Also who is going in tonight to the opening of the Adelaide festival of arts? I am keen to give the dancing sky a go..will also have a go on sunday night as it is repeated fri, sat, sun
Canon
Big V

Postby digitor on Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:57 pm

Big V wrote:Also who is going in tonight to the opening of the Adelaide festival of arts? I am keen to give the dancing sky a go..will also have a go on sunday night as it is repeated fri, sat, sun

I'm going in tomorrow night, with a few others (not photogs) but I'll be a pain and take my cam :lol:

Cheers
digitor

Postby fozzie on Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:08 pm

I'm OK for Thursday 10:15am. First day of my holidays and what a way to start :)
Then off to Sydney the next morning for 6 glorious days :)

Sorry: but I can not make the Adelaide Festival of Arts :(
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby BBJ on Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:23 pm

Too Bloody hot, you lucky buggers. Aways something on up there and us country bumpkins miss out.LOL :lol: Oh well 6.52pm and still 30.4 outside and i can tell you it's nice inside here with the aircon which is more i can say for 1 poor person here.LOL Fozzie i am thinking of you mate.
D3,D2x,D70,18-70 kit lens,Sigma 70-200mm F2.8EX HSM,Nikon AF-I 300m F2.8, TC20E 2X
BBJ

Postby DanielA on Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:25 pm

Big V wrote:Reminder, mini meet this thursday starting at 10.15 Adelaide Zoo...

I'll be there. Where do we meet?
(I want to make really sure this time...:D)

Big V wrote:Also who is going in tonight to the opening of the Adelaide festival of arts? I am keen to give the dancing sky a go..will also have a go on sunday night as it is repeated fri, sat, sun

I can't go today. I'd be interested to see how you go.

Daniel
www.DSAimages.com
DanielA

Postby tyrone_tong on Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:19 pm

Also who is going in tonight to the opening of the Adelaide festival of arts? I am keen to give the dancing sky a go..will also have a go on sunday night as it is repeated fri, sat, sun

:roll: umm , Can i join? :oops:
Nikon D70s + Nikkor AF 28-105D+ AFS 70-300 VR + AF 50 f/1.8 D + Tokina 12-24 f/4 + DX 10.5 Fisheye+SB800
tyrone_tong

Postby BBJ on Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:23 pm

Tyrone, i am sure you can join them, more the merrier i would think.
BBJ

Postby fozzie on Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:23 pm

Tyrone - certainly can :) BTW: we normally meet at the last Enterance to the Adelaide Zoo on Plane Tree Drive.

tyrone_tong wrote:

fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby tyrone_tong on Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:46 pm

fozzie wrote:Tyrone - certainly can :) BTW: we normally meet at the last Enterance to the Adelaide Zoo on Plane Tree Drive.

tyrone_tong wrote:

Is it the back door of the zoo :?:
Thanks
Nikon D70s + Nikkor AF 28-105D+ AFS 70-300 VR + AF 50 f/1.8 D + Tokina 12-24 f/4 + DX 10.5 Fisheye+SB800
tyrone_tong

Postby fozzie on Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:56 pm

tyrone,

tyrone_tong wrote:
fozzie wrote:Tyrone - certainly can :) BTW: we normally meet at the last Entrance to the Adelaide Zoo on Plane Tree Drive.

tyrone_tong wrote:

Is it the back door of the zoo :?:
Thanks

The Adelaide Zoo has a number of Entrance's and 'YES' you could say it is a back door.
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby Big V on Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:16 am

Yes at the back door of the zoo, Daniel I will be going in on Sunday night to do some more photos of the festival, this time from the king william road side of the river - this will allow me to get the shots of the set...
Canon
Big V

Postby fozzie on Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:49 am

Big V and DanielA - to make it easier for Tyrone, I am collecting him from his residence. See you there for a fun day out. Forecast is for mostly sunny and 30C :)
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby robw25 on Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:18 am

you lucky bastards ! big v .. hope to see some " nice arTIsTic " pics from you

cheers rob
robw25

thursday meet

Postby rookie2 on Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:46 am

just caught up with this one.

thurs am I have a mid morning meeting but will try & wrangle some flexi time after 11.30

- how long will you guys be at the zoo for?

thanx

R2
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Rookie2

http://www.DLdigital.smugmug.com
rookie2

Postby BBJ on Sat Mar 04, 2006 1:58 pm

I agree with Rob, BV we wanna see them.LOL Ok well i am just getting ready for speedway tonite, a bit warm so it will get a bit dusty but should be a good nite for it.
BBJ

Re: thursday meet

Postby fozzie on Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:52 pm

R2,

rookie2 wrote:just caught up with this one.

thurs am I have a mid morning meeting but will try & wrangle some flexi time after 11.30

- how long will you guys be at the zoo for?

thanx

R2

We will definitely be in postion at the Adelaide Zoo for the McCaws flight at 1-1.20pm.

I will PM you with my Mobile details after this post.
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Re: thursday meet

Postby digitor on Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:11 pm

fozzie wrote:R2,

We will definitely be in postion at the Adelaide Zoo for the McCaws flight at 1-1.20pm.

These must be the recently acquired Scottish parrots I was reading about in the paper the other day! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hope you have a great day :)

Cheers
digitor

Postby Big V on Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:13 pm

Digitor,nope these have been at the zoo for a number of years...
Canon
Big V

Postby DanielA on Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:39 pm

Big V wrote:Digitor,nope these have been at the zoo for a number of years...

Whoosh... :D

Hint: Macaws <=> McCaws

Daniel
www.DSAimages.com
DanielA

thurs mini meet

Postby rookie2 on Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:57 pm

Big V /Fozzie

at last ...looks like I can make it thursday.. a little late but before 11.00.

what do you recommend I bring - kit lens, 70 -300 ED, 1.4 50, SB 800?
tripod or mono?, ext tubes?

definitely bringing an open mind (some say vaccuous) and keen to learn.

I have Fozzies mobile.

cheers

Rookie2 (thats a 45 y.o. rookie BTW)
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Rookie2

rookie2

Re: thurs mini meet

Postby fozzie on Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:11 pm

R2 - lets be adventureous and bring it all :)
We may spend some time in the Botanic Gardens so it will handy to have all bases covered. Weather is looking really good at 28C.

rookie2 wrote:Big V /Fozzie

at last ...looks like I can make it thursday.. a little late but before 11.00.

what do you recommend I bring - kit lens, 70 -300 ED, 1.4 50, SB 800?
tripod or mono?, ext tubes?

definitely bringing an open mind (some say vaccuous) and keen to learn.

I have Fozzies mobile.

cheers

Rookie2 (thats a 45 y.o. rookie BTW)
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby rookie2 on Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:27 pm

if I bring it all..please dont laugh...
bits n pieces will be hanging off my slingshot AW 200..
people may think I'm part of the fringe...
:oops:
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Rookie2

rookie2

Postby tyrone_tong on Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:34 pm

do i need to bring mine all :roll:
tyrone_tong

Postby fozzie on Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:41 pm

Tyrone - may as well.

tyrone and rookie 2 - you may not need to carry all the gear at the same time. Can be left in the car: what you do not need at the Zoo and vice versa for the Botanic Gardens.

tyrone_tong wrote:do i need to bring mine all :roll:
Last edited by fozzie on Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fozzie

fozzie
Key Member

Postby BBJ on Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:47 pm

Pricks thats all i am saying. :cry: LOL
BBJ

PreviousNext

Return to Adelaide and Perth