Election Day Sunrise Saturday 21st August

Let's generate some ideas for places to meet and things to shoot.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Election Day Sunrise Saturday 21st August

Postby biggerry on Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:20 pm

Forget the BS of the election and start the day with something that will make a difference in ya life - SUNRISE. Sunrises are becoming more difficult as the winter fast disappears, so thats another reason to get in on it! Plus, all those crazy people get up at sunrise and do yoga and tai-chi etc. so it must be good for ya!

This coming weekend (21st Aug) the usual dedicated team of DSLRusers sunrise chasers is gonna hit the east coast for some more sunrise hits, that could also be potentially just be me by me lonesome too:wink:

Location: Yet to be decided - however I am looking at South Maroubra at this point, easy to get to, distance wise, however the location I am thinking of could be a bit of a trek from the car, that could be a good thing since we will not be swamped by other blow-in photographers :rotfl2:

Time: the usual 5:30am, maybe even a bit earlier depending on teh walk.

So get in now to get your fix of sunrise. Let me know if your gonna be there and I'll be sure to not go at you with my tripod :rotfl2: I get a bit jumpy in the dark :cough:.
PM me for exact meeting location and phone number.
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Re: Election Day Sunrise Saturday 21st August

Postby surenj on Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:34 am

Will try to bring some clouds with me.... :wink:
surenj

Postby Jenno on Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:35 am

Just replicate this mornings or last nights evening sky and it will be fantastic
Jenno

Postby surenj on Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:22 am

Jenno wrote:Just replicate this mornings or last nights evening sky and it will be fantastic

Maybe you can be the cloud bearer then. :wink:
surenj

Postby biggerry on Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:07 am

Jenno wrote:Just replicate this mornings or last nights evening sky and it will be fantastic

yeah I hear ya - I was on the way to work before light and was spewing when I saw the nice cloud action appear and the colours... :evil:

On a side note, you know your obssessed with sunrise photography when every morning you check teh radar and think about the conditions and how ripe they are for some photography :roll:
biggerry

Postby Jenno on Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:34 am

My experience suggests you can usually rely on a bit of colour when the weather is due to change. Rain is forcast for later today + wind
Jenno

Postby biggerry on Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:05 pm

Weather is lookign reasonable, high tide is at 6:11am (1.2m swell) and mostly sunny - hopefully that will equate to some small amount of cloud in the area.
biggerry

Postby Manta on Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:45 pm

Not sure what I'm most envious of: you guys getting some great shots (with clouds) or you guys getting some great shots of Gerry going some poor noob with his tripod! :D
Simon
D300 l MB-D10 l D70 l SB-800 l 70-200 VR l TC 17-E l 18-70 f3.5-4.5 l 70-300 f4-5.6 l 50 f1.4 l 90 Macro f2.8 l 12-24 f4
http://www.redbubble.com/people/manta
Manta
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year

Postby surenj on Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:05 pm

Manta wrote:Gerry going some poor noob with his tripod!

You'd have to be quick to capture this. It will be over in a few seconds. :mrgreen:
surenj

Postby biggerry on Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:24 pm

Manta wrote:Not sure what I'm most envious of: you guys getting some great shots (with clouds) or you guys getting some great shots of Gerry going some poor noob with his tripod!

surenj wrote:You'd have to be quick to capture this. It will be over in a few seconds.

well I guess i would not have to go far when the fuzz turn up with long bay around the corner eh?! :rotfl2:

In an attempt to firm up the location I am looking at Little Bay, from there its a short walk to some nice spots and there are a number of options, on the southern side of Little bay is sea pool or shortish walk around the northern side towards Maroubra are some cliffs and a little inlet, or anotehr option is starting on teh Maroubra side - so many choices :up:
biggerry

Postby biggerry on Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:39 pm

Well, for those unfortunate to miss this mornings Sunrise meet, I can tell you now, we had a absolute cracker of a walk - some were a little reluctant especially once the mud set in, which then resulted in a fairly significant deteour and slightly longer walk than anticipated, it was however a nice walk around the headland with plenty of bush bashing.

Sunrise was all but specatular and almost finished by the time we got there, nonetheless we perserved and there was no worries about the blow-in photographers at this location :rotfl2:

Location is OK with its only real draw card probably the fact that no one else is silly enough to try and get to it :cheers:

The walk back along the original planned route was a short 10 minute walk, quite the contrast to the stamina trek in, just needed to aviod the gunfire at the malabar rifle range :rotfl2:

Action at location :up:

biggerry

Postby aim54x on Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:59 pm

Looks like that hike was worth it....i had a lovely sleep in!
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby surenj on Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:20 pm

biggerry wrote:some were a little reluctant especially once the mud set in

Well some hypothesised that this was sewerage..... :roll:

biggerry wrote:we had a absolute cracker of a walk

:cheers:

Where's ur photos Gerry? :P
surenj

Postby biggerry on Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:41 pm

Where's ur photos Gerry?

alrighty i put some up...I am on night release now...

surenj wrote:Well some hypothesised that this was sewerage.....

yeah the sewerage treatment plant may have given that one away... :rotfl2:
biggerry

Postby Jenno on Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:37 am

...and you didnt tell them about why you kept hitting the ground and dashing between bushes on the way back..Seems our intrepid leader had led us through a rifle range.
..and you didnt tell them about the bemused look on the mountain goats faces when they saw us descending the umm (was nearly going to call it a track) 90degree descent to the destination without a rope or harness.
...and you didnt tell them about how you cruelly started a game of I spy in response to Surenj's constant question "Are we there yet?".
But you will undoubtedly be relieved to hear that the doc said I should be OK to resume work in three weeks when the rash heals.
Lesson from this folks....dont follow someone who is tall, wears short pants on cold winter mornings and hangs around sewerage treatment plants in the dark of night
Jenno

Postby biggerry on Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:34 pm

Jenno wrote:...and you didnt tell them about why you kept hitting the ground and dashing between bushes on the way back..Seems our intrepid leader had led us through a rifle range.

:rotfl2:
I wish the lady with the dogs did not tell us about the red flag thing, that had me worried.

Jenno wrote:..and you didnt tell them about the bemused look on the mountain goats faces when they saw us descending the umm (was nearly going to call it a track) 90degree descent to the destination without a rope or harness.

ya gotta admit, it was a piece of cake going down and I did forewarn about it would be harder coming up :cough: :cough:

Jenno wrote:...and you didnt tell them about how you cruelly started a game of I spy in response to Surenj's constant question "Are we there yet?".

:biglaugh:

I was impressed Suren kept up - and I was certainly not dawdling.. :up: plus I was up front taking one for the team with the unknown spider situation, nothing like a orb weaver to the face to get the adrenaline going...

Jenno wrote:But you will undoubtedly be relieved to hear that the doc said I should be OK to resume work in three weeks when the rash heals.

rofl, its good for the immune system, yas have had too much of that sterile city environment, plus what better excuse for a few days off :rotfl2:

Jenno wrote:Lesson from this folks....dont follow someone who is tall, wears short pants on cold winter mornings and hangs around sewerage treatment plants in the dark of night

pffft, I don't believe in long pants, it ain't that cold in Sydney, even in winter. mmmm treated sewerage...remind me not to going swimming at Maroubra beach anytime soon though.

Thanks for putting up with it and perservering, any other other lesser humans would have pyked :bowdown:

aim54x wrote:Looks like that hike was worth it....i had a lovely sleep in!

sleep is for babies....and the mildly sane people of the world.
biggerry

Postby aim54x on Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:51 pm

Sounds like even more fun!! I will have to make sure I try to make the next sunrise
Cameron
aim54x

Postby biggerry on Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:41 pm

Now that we are all back in teh working week, I am sure you are all wondering, how far did we actually walk on saturday morning? - well I am glad you asked that question!

below is a screenie of the epic trek into the location, click for larger - or even better follow the google maps link to check out all those interesting little patches of bush which we scrambled thru!

2.91 kms in!

http://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Maroubra+NSW&gl=au&ei=XehxTJHkMo-gvgPn_ohB&ved=0CBoQ8gEwAA&hl=en&msa=0&msid=109204069468361747663.00048e751d1ac6b029f4c&ll=-33.963949,151.257566&spn=0.003484,0.006174&t=h&z=18

The trek out, what a piece of cake, told yas we should have gone this way on teh way in :up:
(oh and yes for those not aware, that little cross country bit towards the end, no, there not a track there :rotfl2:)

1.22 kms out

http://maps.google.com.au/maps/ms?oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Maroubra+NSW&gl=au&ei=XehxTJHkMo-gvgPn_ohB&ved=0CBoQ8gEwAA&hl=en&msa=0&msid=109204069468361747663.00048e7533f93c982c505&ll=-33.963949,151.257566&spn=0.003484,0.006174&t=h&z=18

if anyone is looking for a personal trainer, look me up :rotfl2: :rotfl2:
biggerry

Postby surenj on Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:45 pm

biggerry wrote:2.91 kms in!

Throw in that steep hill and no wonder my quads were hurting the next morning! :rotfl2: We need to do this more often. :wink:
surenj

Postby Jenno on Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:17 pm

Crikey Ken :shock:
Photography should be included as an Olympic event
Jenno

Postby biggerry on Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:08 pm

surenj wrote:Throw in that steep hill and no wonder my quads were hurting the next morning!

yeah I'll admit i was feeling it that afternoon!.

We need to do this more often.

sucker for punishment!

Jenno wrote:Crikey Ken
Photography should be included as an Olympic event

biggerry

Postby aim54x on Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:51 pm

3km in....maybe a bit too early in the morning for me. But now I am feeling extra bad that I didnt go
Cameron
aim54x

Return to Shooting and meeting ideas