S.E.E. - Single Exposure Exercise

Let's generate some ideas for places to meet and things to shoot.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Postby Aussie Dave on Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:06 am

Hi all
As I had suggested a few weeks back, I thought it might be interesting to run an exercise on taking only one photo (I'm sure some of you remember that mildly heated discussion ?!?).

Anyway, I have come up with this exercise below & hope to see everyone participate.
*thanks to MHD & Stubbsy for their valuable input & help

Mods - if you think it a good idea to make this thread a "sticky", whilst this exercise is running, it might make it easier for members to find.

The aim of this exercise is for each individual to utilise both their technical and creative ability, to form one image from a single attempt at exposing their chosen scene.

Of course, there is no real way to police that each of us only make one exposure, however as this is not a contest, there is no advantage to cheat, except to go against the spirit of this exercise. Most of us are probably not used to limiting ourselves to taking a single photo. I hope that you will find this exercise a bit of fun & hopefully something to learn from/build on.

Basically, once you have taken the photo, the idea is to only conduct PP that will not (greatly) affect the exposure of the image. Using the PC, it can sometimes be easy to "save" an image from being exposed incorrectly, however for the purposes of this exercise, your image should not be enhanced to bring out shadows, or to mask blown highlights.

Think about what part(s) of your chosen scene you want to expose for, then

The guidelines for this exercise are:

Theme:
Landscape
Remember: you may take only one photo of your chosen scene, so you will need to give careful consideration to framing, exposure etc. before taking the shot.

Shooting Specs:
- Camera modes available (A, S or M - Auto or programmed modes should not be used)
- Image can be shot in any available format (RAW/JPEG/TIFF)
- In-camera settings can be used at the user's discretion (in-camera curve/sharpening etc.)
- Those using an exposure to set their White Balance manually (using a grey/white card or expodisc etc.) do not need to count that exposure

Post-Processing Guidelines:
The only Post-Processing that should be conducted on your image is:

- Image must be resized to a length of 800px and saved in JPEG format (with full EXIF data intact) - ie. use "save as", not "save for web"
*(as this is not a contest & will not be judged as such, your name can remain in the EXIF data, if you wish)
- Sharpening (any method available)
- White Balance can be adjusted
- Those processing NEF/RAW files can adjust WB, however EV compensation, or any other settings relating to brightness/contrast, should not be used/should be turned off.

No other PP should be conducted on your image. The image should remain as "straight out of the camera" (or as close to), as possible.

Submissions:
Images are valid as of NOW
Gallery opens for submissions: 9am, Tue 14 March (was Mon 13)
Submissions to gallery close/Gallery opened to view images: 9am Mon 27 March

Submitting your Photo:
Those that have/are previously registered for the usual dSLRusers Challenges, can log into THIS GALLERY (once submissions open), on the Challenge site and upload your photo. For those members* that have not yet registered, please PM MHD (Scott), who will organise this for you.
*Please Note: those that need to register MUST be a member of the dSLRUsers.com forum and conform to the requirements, as indicated within THIS thread.

Once you have uploaded your photo, please make sure it has been hidden. For the purpose of the exercise, it would also be beneficial to include a brief description of what you tried to achieve, in the "Caption" field. (eg. "My aim was to expose for the bright sky, leaving the foreground in silhouette"). This way, when the images are revealed, everyone can see the photographers intent, which may aid in the discussions afterwards.

Good luck to you all, and I hope your images turn out as you want them to. If they don't, please participate by uploading them anyway. The idea is for everyone to learn from what they've done, along with discussion afterwards on what could be done in future to improve your outcome.

Happy exposing…. :)

EDIT: Please note change to Gallery Submissions date !
Last edited by Aussie Dave on Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dave
Nikon D7000 | 18-105 VR Lens | Nikon 50 1.8G | Sigma 70-300 APO II Super Macro | Tokina 11-16 AT-X | Nikon SB-800 | Lowepro Mini Trekker AWII
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby MHD on Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:11 am

Awesome stuff Dave, thread stickied...

I encourage ALL members to participate and compete in the spirit of the exercise....
New page
http://www.potofgrass.com
Portfolio...
http://images.potofgrass.com
Comments and money always welcome
MHD

Postby Alpha_7 on Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:25 am

Looking forward to this challenge, I hope I can make/find the time to tackle this one, the beauty of this particular challenge is, that as it's only one shot it shouldn't take as long as other challenges.
Alpha_7

Postby gstark on Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:59 am

Dave,

Great idea. Thanx for starting this off.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Glen on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:30 am

Dave great idea, looking forward to the results
Glen

Postby stubbsy on Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:48 am

Thanks for both the concept and the planning Dave. I'm looking forward to this one.
Peter
Disclaimer: I know nothing about anything.
*** smugmug galleries: http://www.stubbsy.smugmug.com ***
stubbsy

Postby Aussie Dave on Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:42 pm

Thanks guys. I hope to see submissions from all of you :lol:
Dave
Nikon D7000 | 18-105 VR Lens | Nikon 50 1.8G | Sigma 70-300 APO II Super Macro | Tokina 11-16 AT-X | Nikon SB-800 | Lowepro Mini Trekker AWII
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby greencardigan on Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:27 pm

A quick question regarding the PP guidelines.

Is cropping acceptable? I was just thinking of landscapes which often lend themselves to a panoramic format.
greencardigan

Postby Aussie Dave on Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:43 pm

greencardigan wrote:A quick question regarding the PP guidelines.

Is cropping acceptable? I was just thinking of landscapes which often lend themselves to a panoramic format.

Interesting question. As the aim of this exercise is all about exposure, I don't see a problem with cropping your photo - as long as you aren't cropping out parts of the image that were under/overexposed, in order to make the image appear that the entire scene was exposed correctly.
If this were the case, I feel that you should not crop the image & it can be discussed how/why the image came to be under/overexposed.

I will be surprised if every entry nails expose perfectly. What I am hoping is that discussion will evolve about what can be done next time to make things better - and by using everyone's submissions as a visual aid (so to speak) :roll:

Does that make sense ?

Good to see people are thinking about the exercise :)
Dave
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby greencardigan on Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:55 pm

Aussie Dave wrote:I don't see a problem with cropping your photo - as long as you aren't cropping out parts of the image that were under/overexposed, in order to make the image appear that the entire scene was exposed correctly.

Thanks, that's just what I would have assumed.
greencardigan

Postby radar on Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:20 am

Hi Dave,

for the landscape theme, are elements of humankind allowed? By this I mean, are we allowed to post pictures of a city landscape, a boat on a lake, a lighthouse, ... or do you want to limit it to nature landscape only, with no signs of homo sapiens influence.

Also, thanks for following through with your original idea.

cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Aussie Dave on Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:49 am

radar wrote:Hi Dave,

for the landscape theme, are elements of humankind allowed? By this I mean, are we allowed to post pictures of a city landscape, a boat on a lake, a lighthouse, ... or do you want to limit it to nature landscape only, with no signs of homo sapiens influence.

Also, thanks for following through with your original idea.

cheers,

André

Hi Radar
I don't see a problem in allowing landscape shots with manmade structures in them. The main thing that should not be manipulated (in PP), is the exposure. Shooting a lighthouse, the Sydney Harbour Bridge or Ayers Rock, you will still need to assume correct exposure - regardless of what makes up the image.

Please remember that depending on what scene you choose, there should be some part of the image that you are trying to expose for. The contents of the scene is partly irrelevant - for the purposes of this exercise (although I'm sure everyone will want to try and take a nice looking photo of something that is worth taking a photo of).

As a brief example, a sunset shot where you are exposing for the sky will leave foreground objects quite underexposed. However, the aim may well be that you wanted to expose for the sky & obtain the sillhouette look. As long as this is stated in the caption when you submit your image, everyone can easily identify what the idea was for the image - and can judge for themselves if the person has successfully completed what they tried to achieve.
Dave
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby sydneywebcam on Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:48 pm

This sounds like an very interesting exercise. One question I have , seeing as this is all about getting the right exposure, is a hand held light meter an acceptable way of metering the scene or are we restricted to in camera metering? I ask as an external light meter is my normal way of metering for landscapes.

Postby Slider on Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:53 pm

This looks like an interesting exercise. Well put together Dave :D
Cheers
Mark :) http://www.photographicaustralia.com
http://www.trekaboutphotography.com

He who dies with the most lenses wins...
Slider

Postby Aussie Dave on Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:46 am

sydneywebcam wrote:This sounds like an very interesting exercise. One question I have , seeing as this is all about getting the right exposure, is a hand held light meter an acceptable way of metering the scene or are we restricted to in camera metering? I ask as an external light meter is my normal way of metering for landscapes.

Hi Paul
I guess it all comes down to how much you want to push yourself. If using an external light meter is what you normally use, then perhaps this may show others the advantages of using such a device. I would tend to think that most of us would only use the camera's metering system though.

If you feel like pushing your comfort-zone, perhaps try leaving the external meter at home and see what you can do just by using the camera.

I'm happy for you to make the final decision. If you do choose to use your meter, it would be prudent to let that be known, so everyone knows that you used it.

The only thing we should all be competing against is ourselves. I hope people see this as an opportunity to push their boundaries a little and try things that may be different to what they are used to. Think about what you want to achieve with the photo, then change your settings accordingly and take the photo.
It will be interesting to see how well the intent of the photo is captured.

....and remember, this is only a bit of fun :)
Dave
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby Big Red on Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:50 pm

just so i get this right ...
when i take a pic and load up to photoshop the exposure is automatically adjusted ... so if i just slide the button back to 00 it should be acceptable to enter it ?

No taking three pics of the same scene and entering the best one ?

I reckon you haven't won if you cheat so i just want to be sure i don't mistakenly cheat.
Big Red

Postby Aussie Dave on Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:27 am

Hi Shane
you are correct. If you use Photoshop to open your NEF images, just untick all the boxes before selecting "open". This should then give you the image (as it appears) out of the camera.
Dave
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby Hlop on Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:32 am

Hi Dave,

What about photos from film cameras? Are they acceptable? Or must be digital?
Mikhail
Hasselblad 501CM, XPAN, Wista DX 4x5, Pentax 67, Nikon D70, FED-2
Hlop

Postby Aussie Dave on Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:45 am

I imagine it would be easier with a digital camera, however the same process is undertaken to expose a photo (via film or digital), so I don't think it makes much of a difference.

Obviously, scanning the photo into a digital format, one would still need to stick to the regulations on PP.

In saying this, I'd be happy with either....
Dave
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby Hlop on Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:04 am

Thanks Dave,

Does the gallery for submission already exist? When I've loged in with my old challenges account it says:

Attention!
The album or photo that you were attempting to view either does not exist, or requires user privileges that you do not posess.
Mikhail
Hlop

Postby radar on Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:50 am

Hi hlop,

from the start of the thread :-)

Submissions:
Images are valid as of NOW
Gallery opens for submissions: 9am, Mon 13 March
Submissions to gallery close/Gallery opened to view images: 9am Mon 20 March

cheers,

André
Photography, as a powerful medium of expression and communications, offers an infinite variety of perception, interpretation and execution. Ansel Adams

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Hlop on Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:18 am

Thanks, Andre!

I'm probably living ahead of the time :) I've red this info but perhaps I thought that it is March already and it didn't go through my head properly :)
Mikhail
Hlop

Postby Aussie Dave on Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:31 pm

thanks Radar.

Yes, the gallery does exist however I thought it best to leave it hidden for the time being, just so people don't think it is ready and open for submissions.

In the original post, I did also mention this :)
Those that have/are previously registered for the usual dSLRusers Challenges, can log into THIS GALLERY (once submissions open)
Dave
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby Aussie Dave on Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:48 pm

Everyone
Please note the date the Gallery will be opened for submissions, has been changed from Mon 13 March to Tue 14 March (9am).

The 13th is a Public Holiday in Victoria (Labour Day) and as I am currently without internet access at home, I won't be at work to open the gallery (Lucky me, eh :))

I trust everyone has been out shooting, or thinking about what they are going to shoot.....and a flood of submissions will take place once the gallery is opened :lol:
Dave
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby Aussie Dave on Tue Mar 14, 2006 9:03 am

The S.E.E. Gallery is now open for submissions.

The Gallery will close next Mon 20 March @ 9am, with the images released shortly after for viewing & discussions.

Please remember to hide your photo when you submit it :)
Dave
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby radar on Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:48 am

Hi Dave and Scott,

I went to put in my entry to the gallery, set the photo to hidden, but the photo still shows up. Even when logged out, I can delete the photo, which I have done.

I would also be able to delete the SEE challenge icon as well if I wanted to. :twisted: :twisted:

I added a comment without login in :twisted: :twisted:

Just let us know when it is okay to post. I'll refrain from disfiguring the SEE theme image :shock:

Cheers,

André

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Aussie Dave on Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:47 am

Sorry guys....this looks like my fault :oops:

Let me know if this is working better now...

I've taken away the ability to add comments, until after the gallery is opened for viewing...

Hope everyone has been busy taking their "single-exposure" :wink:

The Gallery closes for submissions, 9am this coming Monday (20th March)
Dave
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby Aussie Dave on Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:47 am

Sorry guys....this looks like my fault :oops:

Let me know if this is working better now...

I've taken away the ability to add comments, until after the gallery is opened for viewing...

Hope everyone has been busy taking their "singe-exposure" :wink:

The Gallery closes for submissions, 9am this coming Monday (20th March)
Dave
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby birddog114 on Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:50 am

Aussie Dave,
This may cause lot confusing with two excercises, are running in the same period (The challenge and S.E.E)
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby radar on Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:33 am

Dave,

looks good now

Birddog114 wrote:Aussie Dave,
This may cause lot confusing with two excercises, are running in the same period (The challenge and S.E.E)

The challenge 9 gallery doesn't open till March 28th, so shouldn't confuse too many, hopefully :? :?

Cheers,

André

(misc Nikon stuff)
radar

Postby Aussie Dave on Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:39 pm

radar wrote:Dave,

looks good now

Birddog114 wrote:Aussie Dave,

The challenge 9 gallery doesn't open till March 28th, so shouldn't confuse too many, hopefully :? :?

Cheers,

André

That's good.

Birdy - I believe I got in first :wink:
Dave
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby Aussie Dave on Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:50 am

Hi Everyone
although it is not technically 9am as yet, I have decided to keep the gallery open for submission for another week....until 9am Mon 27 March.

At this stage, there has only been two submissions (and one of them is mine). I can only say that I am nothing short of dissappointed with the participation rate thus far....especially considering the eagerness that was shown for the exercise in the past.

I hope that many of you have the chance during this week to take part and submit a photo so we can make this exercise as fruitful for everyone, as possible.....
Dave
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby kipper on Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:59 am

While I'd like to get involved in these exercises, I can't :)
Hope it picks up by next week :(
Darryl (aka Kipper)
Nikon D200
kipper

Postby stubbsy on Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:09 am

Aussie Dave wrote:Hi Everyone
although it is not technically 9am as yet, I have decided to keep the gallery open for submission for another week....until 9am Mon 27 March.

At this stage, there has only been two submissions (and one of them is mine). I can only say that I am nothing short of dissappointed with the participation rate thus far....especially considering the eagerness that was shown for the exercise in the past.

I hope that many of you have the chance during this week to take part and submit a photo so we can make this exercise as fruitful for everyone, as possible.....

Dave

I have an image to submit, but I was under the impression it closed at midday (my Sony). I'm sure there are plenty of others out there who have work to submit, so come on people, show us your stuff.
Peter
stubbsy

Postby stubbsy on Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:40 pm

Well I've just uploaded my entry. Personally this was more difficult than I thought and if I could PP I'd have certainly made changes to the exposure of my image. That said, I found this a very stimulating exercise. I just hope we end up with more than 3 entries.
Peter
stubbsy

Postby Aussie Dave on Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:06 pm

stubbsy wrote:Well I've just uploaded my entry. Personally this was more difficult than I thought and if I could PP I'd have certainly made changes to the exposure of my image. That said, I found this a very stimulating exercise. I just hope we end up with more than 3 entries.

I hope so as well.....but am glad to hear that you found it stimulating :)
Dave
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby Alpha_7 on Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:09 pm

I'm going to upload my entry in the exercise in the next few minutes.
Alpha_7

Postby Slider on Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:55 pm

I'll have one in there this week. Just need to get to what I have in mind :roll:
Cheers

Slider

Postby stubbsy on Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:54 pm

Dave

How are the entry numbers now.
Peter
stubbsy

Postby Aussie Dave on Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:54 pm

stubbsy wrote:Dave

We've had a rush of entries....and we're up to 4 (including my entry).

I will take this opportunity to encourage EVERYONE to get out there this weekend and take an image to submit into the exercise.

After all, we're only talking about going out and taking ONE photo. It really shouldn't take too long...
And the idea is not to take the prettiest image. Go out into the street and take a landscape shot of what you can see.

It's all about "the exposure"....

We can only get out of it, what we put in !
Dave
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby moz on Fri Mar 24, 2006 2:20 pm

Aussie Dave wrote:I will take this opportunity to encourage EVERYONE to get out there this weekend and take an image to submit into the exercise.

Let me know when you're desperate enough to relax the entry criteria. I don't qualify for membership until the 17th of next month but otherwise I'd love to "help" :)
http://www.moz.net.nz
have bicycle, will go to Critical Mass
moz

Postby Alpha_7 on Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:10 pm

Well I dont make the rules, but I'd say take the shot anyways, and if you can't post it in the gallery due to membership issues, wait till the exercise has closed and post in in the C&C section.
Alpha_7

Postby Slider on Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:12 pm

Aussie Dave wrote:
stubbsy wrote:Dave

We've had a rush of entries....and we're up to 4 (including my entry).

And then there were 5 :D
Cheers

Slider

Can't upload image

Postby sydneywebcam on Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:07 pm

I am logged into the SEE gallery but there is nothing there to enable me to upload my image. There is no album actions box on upper RHS or anywhere else for that matter. I know the gallery closes at 9.00am tomorrow so if anyone knows what to do I am all ears.

Cheers,
Paul.
sydneywebcam

Postby stubbsy on Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:19 pm

Paul

I just tested. When I log in the top right corner looks like the image below :

Do you have any of this? eg does it say Logout (if not then you didn't log in successfully - remember your username is like d70stubbsy rather than stubbsy) At the risk of stating the obvious, if you see the album actions bit then in the drop down menu you get by clicking it is the Add Photo option.

Finally a reminder that AFTER adding a pic, it needs to be hidden which is an option below the pic once uploaded under the <Photo Actions> drop down.

Edit: Sorry Paul - just reread your post (doh) and see you don't have the album actions option. Only other thing I can suggest is a browser quit and restart (BTW AFAIK it works under both IE and FF of which I use the latter)
Peter
stubbsy

Postby sydneywebcam on Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:32 pm

Hi Peter

I have just rebooted my PC and tried logging in with both IE and FF and still get the same result. All I see in the top RHS is a slideshow and logout link. I am also seeing one image by D70sSlider and that's it. There is no album actions drop down box.

Cheers,
Paul.
sydneywebcam

Postby sydneywebcam on Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:57 pm

The latest update is that when logged in, the single picture I could see is gone and all I can see on the top bar is a logout link and that is it.

I will keep trying for another while and again early in the morning. Hopefully I might have some success.

Paul.
sydneywebcam

Postby ozczecho on Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:16 pm

I have just successfully uploaded my entry. What it did show me is that I need to learn how to use my brand new CPL filter properly. :shock:

sydneywebcam, I use FF 1.5 on XP. Post a screen shot of what you see...
ozczecho

Postby Big Red on Sun Mar 26, 2006 9:48 pm

have uploaded my pic ... one thing i noticed is that because i normally post process the unprocessed pic came out too dark.
when i added sat and sharpened a copy for my own use i found the exposure much much better.
I don't know if that is just blind luck or i unconciously allow for my normal post processing.
Big Red

Postby sydneywebcam on Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:04 pm

Here is a screen shot of what I see:

I am using either IE or Firefox 1.06 on XP and it's the same for both.

Paul.
sydneywebcam

Next

Return to Shooting and meeting ideas