I am a peanut!

Archives of older/obsolete messages from the Sydney section.

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

I am a peanut!

Postby Daves602 on Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:29 pm

Hi there and a big smile all around! I had a shocker on the weekend. I went to my son in laws last soccer game of the season, (they didn't go very well), and took all the gear to get a few shots off so that no one could acuse me of playing favourites with taking over 6000 cricket photos of my son last season. He had even put some product in his hair so it would look good in the pics. I roll up, get the D70 and bigma out of the bag and turn the camera on......that is where it went horribly wrong. The battery was sitting on my desk, 85 kilometres away. I didn't have the CR2 cradle either. I put it all away, told my daughter the prob, she forgave me. My son in law comes off the field looking a bit bemused and I just up and told him the truth, "I didn't take any pics because you played like shit". His head dropped and I had to confess as to the real truth.
I guess that I am not the only idiot to do something along these lines.
Tell us your day of debarcle story.
Dave.
Daves602

Postby Glen on Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:36 pm

Dave, you have my sympathy :oops: I always throw in a spare battery in my rucksack, you can buy them off ebay for about $30 each or I bought 2 for $45. Wouldn't bother with the two, way too much capacity with the std battery combined (500 shots x3), just get a spare and rotate it at this price. Liked your first response to the son in law
Glen

Postby Onyx on Mon Aug 09, 2004 2:50 pm

LOL - what's the battery doing outside of its "home" ie. in the camera anyways?
Onyx

Re: I am a peanut!

Postby gstark on Mon Aug 09, 2004 9:47 pm

Daves602 wrote: The battery was sitting on my desk, 85 kilometres away.

Don't you hate it when that happens?

You didn't try to jump start the camera with your car battery and some jumper leads? :)
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Raydar on Tue Aug 10, 2004 6:31 am

Major bummer.

I have a pad & pencil in my back pack for such occasions (start sketching) :D

My sympathy :oops:

Cheers
Ray :lol:
Raydar

Postby Daves602 on Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:40 am

In answer to "why wasn't the battery in the camera" I had just finished charging it and stopped for a second to ponder if there was going to be a lot of photos taken and if there was going to be a power outlet available. The batterey had died towards the end of a shoot that I did last Thursday for a catalogue for golf stuff, and fortunately I had the charger with me and hit it up for about 15 minutes, which finished the day for me, so I new the battery was on its last few drips of power. The shoot involved the speedlight on every shot.
Well, during the time to think about these things, I put the battery down, big mistake, and packed the charger!
Daves602

Postby gstark on Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:55 am

Dave,

Daves602 wrote:Well, during the time to think about these things, I put the battery down, big mistake, and packed the charger!

IO have a keyhook at home, on which I keep several sets of car keys, plus my housekeys, each set on a separate set of keyrings. I won't tell you how many times I've left the place carrying two sets of car keys, and finding myself locked out of the house!
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Return to Sydney - Archives