Nikon D750 announced.

A place for us to talk about Nikon related camera gear.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Nikon D750 announced.

Postby gstark on Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:12 pm

g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Re: Nikon D750 announced.

Postby gstark on Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:23 pm

And now I have the presser.

Nikon Press Release wrote:Nikon Australia is pleased to announce the launch of the new Nikon D750, the smallest and lightest Nikon FX-format camera to deliver incredible image quality in an ideal package of enriched features.

Featuring an all-new 24.3-megapixel sensor, the Nikon D750 offers a wide dynamic range with clean performance across all sensitivities, delivering superb full-frame images with stunning sharpness and rich tonality.

Equipped with an ISO range of 100-12800, extendable to 50-51200 (equivalent), and Nikon's flagship EXPEED 4 image-processing engine for superior image rendering, the Nikon D750 combines Full HD movie recording capabilities at 1080/60p and a sturdy vari-angle monitor enabling enthusiast photographers full freedom of expression and control.

Combined with an outstanding high-speed continuous shooting rate of approximately 6.5 frames per second in both FX and DX formats, and a phenomenal 51-point AF system, the Nikon D750 provides the flexibility you need to lock elusive or fast-moving subjects and capture uncompromised full-resolution images with incredible precision.

Challenging the assumption that the higher a DSLR's specifications, the bulkier it becomes, the Nikon D750 includes revolutionary technologies designed to offer a strong, lightweight camera without compromising image quality.

g.
Gary Stark
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Matt. K on Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:57 pm

Ooohhhhh...this might be the one for me :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Depends on the price. Though I must admit that my trusty old D300 still gives sterling service...(Yes, I know, it's old technology......but it's never missed a beat and I've had prints the size of a barn door made from its files).

Hmmmm....just checked the price....not too bad, but I don't like that tilting screen. Can see that snapping off in a drop.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby biggerry on Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:36 pm

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Produc ... /D750.html

Matt. K wrote:, but I don't like that tilting screen. Can see that snapping off in a drop.

very handy when you have your camera on the ground trying to get a macro or something and can't look through the view finder. - if you don't like, just don't ever extend it :)

interesting that they included the AA filter..

looks good, would be interesting in seeing what the aussie dollar price is
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby biggerry on Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:32 pm

$2580.00
biggerry

Postby biggerry on Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:21 am

for a giggle read this
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/d750.htm
and pick the errors

and a more serious read

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/nikon-d750/
biggerry

Nikon D750 announced.

Postby chrisk on Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:40 am

Tilt screen is looooooooooooooooooong overdue. A pox on any manufacturer who is making cameras without them !! Don't quite understand why they didn't remove the AA filter either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby PiroStitch on Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:00 am

Been looking for a replacement for the D700 and heavily considering this. AA filter isn't too much of a concern for me and it would be a nice to have, though what's bugging me is the removal of the AF-On button :evil:
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby chrisk on Sat Sep 13, 2014 9:43 am

AF-ON and square VF are the 2 things that stuck out to me aswell. Although I'm sure you can program the ael button to be AF-ON which addresses some of the issue.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby Remorhaz on Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:13 am

I played with one a couple times over the weekend - my thoughts

The numbering system D7XX and it's capabilities appear to put it squarely inbetween the existing D6XX and D8XX Nikon FX lines - however having used it a couple of times now I'd say it's much more like the D6XX than the pro style D8XX.

First up the camera is very familiar to me - the controls and layout are pretty much as the "prosumer" Nikon bodies like the D6XX and D7XXX series cameras. It's also a lot more similar in size to those two lines than the D8XX.

So what new features do I like on the D750 compared to the D600:

- the updated 3.2" articulating LCD screen is pretty nice and I could see times when this would be useful. Especially when down low on the tripod or when shooting video (which I don't do a lot of but when I do) - especially handheld). I'm a little uneasy with it sticking out more and not having a protective screen however

- the new AF module (similar to the 51 point AF from the D810) is a fantastic addition - no more do the AF points only cover the tiny crop sensor area (tightly bundled only in the centre of the frame). We now get a proper full frame AF spread - personally I wish they were even wider spread but...

- you can now finally do the one button press 100% zoom (press the OK button) and it instantly zooms either the live view (or playback image). It even zooms to the focus point if single point focus is used (which is what I use)

- the body is noticeably smaller (the thickness of the body) - it has about the same height and width - it subtly feels lighter in the hand

- I also like the new small LCD display on the top of the D750 - it's wider and slimmer (to cater for the new slimmer body) but the main displays (e.g. Aperture/Shutter) have much larger digits and it's much easier to read (for people like me with failing eyes)

What don't I like:

- the D750 STILL doesn't have the viewfinder blind (found on all the pro bodies) - for me this is probably my biggest bugbear. However I still don't want to move up to the control layout or size/weight of the D8XX series

- they've moved (as in swapped the positions of) the buttons down the left side of the camera AGAIN! (e.g. the "+" and "-"/ISO buttons) (the info button also moved but I don't care so much about that)

What else:

- the D750 is Nikons first D-SLR with built in WiFi capability - which should be a plus, but it still uses the same horrendous Nikon WMU app which I've not had a lot of joy with (using the WU-1b wireless dongle on my D600) - why Nikon doesn't just open the API for their cameras and let real software people write decent applications for their gear...

- one stop expanded ISO (to 51,200) - how usable this will be time will tell

- what you can't necessarily see but is an upgrade to the 91,000-pixel RGB metering sensor (as seen in the pro bodies like the D8XX and D4/s)

- has a Quiet Continuous mode

- the ports and doors down the left side have moved around - the remote release connector is behind a small door at the bottom on the D600 and is at the top of the bank on the D750 - what this will mean in a practical sense I'm not sure yet. I leave an L-Bracket on my D600 all the time (I'm not even sure my D600 L-Bracket will fit the D750 - I suspect not) and shoot lots of vertical shots and usually with a programmable intervalometer remote attached. Now with the remote port closer to the middle of the camera rather than at the bottom it may make it much more difficult to mount the camera (on the L-Bracket) vertically on the tripod/Arca clamp with the remote cable in place. If this doesn't work hopefully the Nikon WiFi solution is then up to scratch - but I'm not holding my breath

- the battery door on the bottom of the camera has changed orientation - along the body rather than across at the handgrip end. The practical upshot of this is it may mean the L-Bracket for the D750 will have to be shorter so as to not block the battery door which may lead to other compromises

- still has the 1/4000 max shutter speed limitation (which to be honest has only been a problem for me a couple of times in many tens of thousands of frames on the D600)

- also has the same 1/200 flash sync speed as the D6XX

I tried the camera with a few lenses including the 14-24/2.8 (seemed quite front heavy with this but it is a very big and heavy fronted lens) and the 70-200/4 (this felt awesome on camera - a nice light pairing - and has me now lusting after this lens :))
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Postby gstark on Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:07 pm

It's already in the stores?
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby biggerry on Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:17 pm

gstark wrote:It's already in the stores?

http://www.thedigitalplayground.com.au

Digital Cam Warehouse has it in stock as of 25th this month.
biggerry

Postby Matt. K on Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:42 pm

Thanks Rodney. Well done. I'll be interested to see what the critical pack says about image quality once the camera gets out into the big wide world.
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Remorhaz on Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:39 am

gstark wrote:It's already in the stores?

No - Nikon Aus had two of them at the 3 day event I went to

Matt. K wrote:Thanks Rodney. Well done. I'll be interested to see what the critical pack says about image quality once the camera gets out into the big wide world.

I suspect it's not going to be much different to the D600/610 - I'm speculating it's the same sensor but now with the new Expeed 4 processor - I'm thinking it's actually the Expeed 4 which is managing the extra ISO step via funkier in camera NR
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Postby feldy on Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:55 pm

biggerry wrote:http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/dslr-cameras/D750.html

interesting that they included the AA filter..

looks good, would be interesting in seeing what the aussie dollar price is

disappointed about the AA filter - these days thought it was almost de rigeur not to have one on an almost pro- body ... really prefer no AA filter or at least the option to bypass somehow
feldy

Postby Bigfoot1966 on Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:11 pm

Hi All,

I was looking at purchasing one of these cameras.

I am a bit lost looking for a lens.

I did like the Nikon 18-140mm dx but it is not suitable for the full frame cameras.

I like the idea of the Nikon 28-300mm but I am concerned about distortion.

Is there a comparative lens in full frame to the Nikon 18-140mm dx

Thanks

Regards
Bigfoot1966

Postby gstark on Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:11 am

Nikon press release wrote:The Nikon D750 will be available in a kit configuration with the AF-S NIKKOR 24-120mm f/4G ED lens in addition to the body-only configuration.

That's probably as close as you're going to get, and I suspect that it's a much nicer lens than the 18-140.
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby aim54x on Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:03 am

gstark wrote:I suspect that it's a much nicer lens than the 18-140.

Definitely a much nicer lens, it is a gold-striped tier 2 pro lens.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby petermmc on Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:29 am

If the D750 was announced as the update of the d600 then I suspect that people would have been delighted by a few of the enhancements. The D750 is marginally smaller and thinner than the D600 and has a few more bells and whistles. But is it really that different from the D610? When I take photos am I really going to notice any difference? Maybe we are witnessing the plateauing of the DSLR. Mind you, I thought that when I purchased my FE2 back in the day. I have a D600 and would find it hard to justify (mind you I could come up with something if I tried) purchasing a D750. The price of the D750 is not much different from the price of the D600 when it first came out.

Final comment: I had my D600 repaired under the 'oily sensor warranty' program. I probably didn't need to have this done but it did save me having to clean the sensor. Nikon handled this really well. I am thinking of calling it a D605 but damned if I can find a Nikon '5' sticker to replace the end zero. Any ideas? :nono:

petermc
Nikon & Olympus
petermmc

Postby gstark on Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:18 am

petermmc wrote:I am thinking of calling it a D605 but damned if I can find a Nikon '5' sticker to replace the end zero. Any ideas? :nono:

Buy a D750 and hack the case to get the "5" digit from that?

:rotfl2:
g.
Gary Stark
gstark
Site Admin

Postby petermmc on Sun Oct 19, 2014 4:00 pm

You nailed it Gary. I would then have a spare zero which I could put back on the D7...0 thus creating a D700. I could then sell it second hand and get say $450.00 and I guess I wouldn't be able to sell my D605 for much. I think I will learn to live with it knowing that I have a newer sensor in my D600...a bit like wearing an expensive polo shirt that doesn't have the logo on it...What's the point?

petermc
Nikon & Olympus
petermmc

Return to Nikon