My street encounters

What is your personal photographic journey? In a photographic sense, how did you start, and with what equipment? How have you progressed, and where are you, and your photographic skillset, placed today?

This is a place where members may share their personal photographic journey. Some of our normal posting rules are suspended within this section. To illustrate you story, for instance, you may post more than the normal 4 or so images. In fact, we actively encourage you to share with us images that illustrate how your photography has changed since you started. So readers with slower connections please be warned that postings made within this section may be - will be - larger than the norm.

Moderator: Moderators

My street encounters

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:32 pm

I was in the CBD today for meetings and had the X10 with me. I am still learning how to find the decisive moment. These are my photographic encounters. I was using the OVF quite a bit.

Crows Nest

Along the way, I had a physical encounter with a dickhead who decided to shove his phone camera in my face and then accost me for taking his photo (I didn't). My problem was: 1. a couple of glasses of wine at lunch and 2. a very non-confrontational nature. To say I was shocked at his behaviour was an understatement. The big problem was I ended up being too shocked to confront him. Pissed me off and put me in a real negative state afterwards, with respect to taking more photos.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Re: My street encounters

Postby sirhc55 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:00 pm

Patrick you are giving me the incentive to go out and emulate your photography and others.

Now, as for the prick. I had a young lady do exactly the same to me and for once in my life I had a answer. She accused me of taking her photograph and I replied “I only photograph beautiful objects, so no, I did not take your photo”
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Matt. K on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:33 pm

Patrick
I think I've met that dickhead. He once told Henri Cartier- Bresson to piss off. He's also told Gary Winogrand, Dorathea Lange, Josef Koudelka, Margaret Bourke-White and Harry Callahan to piss off. Now he's told you and me to piss off.
You know what that means?????.....................It means we're doing it right and God bless the little dickhead! :D :D :D
Every street photographer eventually meets that guy. It's a rite of passage and it means you really now can call yourself a street photographer. Get used to it.

Your first image is loaded with irony and humour. reminds me of an Elliot Erwitt image, but without the dog. I see bird cages and people below sitting under little umbrellas to protect them from bird shit. Or is it just me?
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:58 pm

Matt, the issue wasn't so much that the guy confronted me as I know that there are many dickheads out there (one such specimen tried to stop me on the M2 on Saturday to start a fight!), but more my reaction to him. In part, it was the glass or two of wine, but more my non-confrontational approach that made me feel overly meek. I was pissed off at me more than him.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby Matt. K on Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:39 pm

Patick, I also use a non-confrontational approach, and, at first it used to make me feel uncomfortable but now, I just give them a look that would make a pit-bull vomit and go about my work. I've had 'heavies' tell me I couldn't take photographs of their shop windows...that photographing street crowds that contain children was illegal....that taking photographs on trains and train stations was illegal etc etc etc. There's always some know-all who thinks he has the authority to set you straight. I occasionally do tell them to "F**k Off!" but only if I'm sure they're not carrying firearms or other weapons. Anybody who attempts to restrict my lawful activities becomes my enemy and sets my neck-hair bristling. :twisted: :twisted:
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby chrisk on Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:18 pm

i think if you go into this with the view that when you're confronted you will respond with like attitude you will fail and you wont enjoy it. you;re far better off imho with just saying "sorry mate, i just enjoy taking photos, i'll delete it if you want." its easier to diffuse the situation and you wont be so on edge. that will also translate to your body language and it becomes less confrontational.

ive come across a few situations where guys have said something to me and i just use that line or something very similar and it tends to just diffuse the situation and ive never deleted a single photo. ive boxed for over 20 years and every occasion a bloke has squared up to me on the street or made some remarck ive been pretty sure i could knock his lights out if i so chose, but what would that achieve ? nothing. im in this to enjoy it, not be worried about having a blue with someone and it doesnt make you the slightest bit "meek" for not responding to a bloke who was obviously an asshole.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby Reschsmooth on Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:58 pm

Rooz wrote:i think if you go into this with the view that when you're confronted you will respond with like attitude you will fail and you wont enjoy it. you;re far better off imho with just saying "sorry mate, i just enjoy taking photos, i'll delete it if you want." its easier to diffuse the situation and you wont be so on edge. that will also translate to your body language and it becomes less confrontational.

ive come across a few situations where guys have said something to me and i just use that line or something very similar and it tends to just diffuse the situation and ive never deleted a single photo. ive boxed for over 20 years and every occasion a bloke has squared up to me on the street or made some remarck ive been pretty sure i could knock his lights out if i so chose, but what would that achieve ? nothing. im in this to enjoy it, not be worried about having a blue with someone and it doesnt make you the slightest bit "meek" for not responding to a bloke who was obviously an asshole.

Chris, similarly, I got to brown belt in karate (the first of three browns before black) but have never had to use it in defence or offence. I am really not accustomed to aggression, particularly on a one-on-one situation.

I did get behind the viewfinder shortly afterwards, but really disliked the experience, both from his behaviour and from my intra-personal response. In the end, my role doesn't really accommodate fronting clients with a black eye and broken nose (assuming I would lose a physical confrontation).
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby PiroStitch on Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:33 am

Ah good ol' self righteous un-ostrayans! One reason why I haven't gone on a sojourn with my camera for street photos yet. Overseas is much better for that as most citizens are more open to having their photo taken, even consider it a privilege in some countries.

Keep up the work and forget about these idiots who deserve to be put in a boat and shipped off elsewhere.
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby surenj on Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:42 am

Reschsmooth wrote:but more my reaction to him.

Therein lies the key to handle any situation.

If you had reacted harshly, I doubt you'd feel great behind the viewfinder. All one needs to do is to acknowledge that he is an idiot and move on.
surenj

Postby Remorhaz on Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:42 am

Hi Patrick - I do like the shadows and the way the people are all straight and midstep in the fifth image
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Postby aim54x on Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:29 am

Great images here Patrick...I really like #1 and #5, these really stand up...the others are a bit more like my stuff (the stuff I dont like enough to post).

Re idiot....don't worry too much, it is bound to happen, we move on and just count ourselves lucky that someone is taking notice (other than "security" goons). As much as we get tempted to rearrange faces, we always have more to lose (expensive gear).
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Return to Personal Photographic Journeys