Recommend me a 'big stopper'

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Postby Reschsmooth on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:17 pm

In light of the 16 stop thread, and my broken 8 stop ND filter, I am after recommendations for a dark ND filter, hopefully about 10 stops or so. I know there are options such as B+W screw on and Lee filter/filter holders.
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Re: Recommend me a 'big stopper'

Postby aim54x on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:04 pm

A few of us are using the B+W 10-stop!
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby photohiker on Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:27 pm

B&W 10 stop from Mainline. They had a special deal a while back (August 2011) that someone posted here.
photohiker

Postby Wink on Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:08 am

Yep. I bought one on that special.
It's a good filter and it works well.

If you're interested in a secondhand one send me a PM as I have a Lee setup and plan on getting a big stopper to suit that.
Adam.
MY PHOTOS
Allows Image Editing
Wink

Postby robert on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:35 am

I'm interested too-
At the risk of a hijack, for those with variable ND how often do you use it at full. Trying to decide between variable and +10,
Robert
Robert
EOS 5D Mk II, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200f4 IS, 50 f1.8, 100 macro, 300D (IR Mod)
robert

Postby Remorhaz on Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:18 pm

If you want a really strong nd go the ten stop and not the variable.

FYI to all I have all three - B+W screw in ten stop, Lee big stopper and a 2-8 stop variable

The variable works at lower strengths but goes very funky at higher and/or wider lenses - basically think unusable from about 5 or 6 stops onwards - I basically never use it
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Postby biggerry on Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:40 pm

Lee 10 stops ND
*$150 delivered.
*easy to compose
*colour cast manageable (not as good as the BW in terms of quality according to some)
*if you have the lee filter holder you are laughing.

otherwise, BW 1000X ND, cheap and cheerful from mainline.
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby robert on Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:51 pm

Thanks Rodney, will start looking for +10,

Gerry- not sure if just a throw away comment but it seems the B+W is actually more than the lee price you quoted- not so cheap or am i looking at the wrong thing?
Robert
EOS 5D Mk II, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200f4 IS, 50 f1.8, 100 macro, 300D (IR Mod)
robert

Postby biggerry on Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:32 am

robert wrote:Thanks Rodney, will start looking for +10,

Gerry- not sure if just a throw away comment but it seems the B+W is actually more than the lee price you quoted- not so cheap or am i looking at the wrong thing?

Hi Robert,

the BW 77mm screw in one I bought from Mainline when they had a special on (I think it was a like a 10% discount from a code posted on this site). The list price on the site is $159, you can buy it for sub 100 online O/S if you wish.

The Lee filter can be brought at Vanbar for $220 but compared to Teamwork in the UK for $150 delivered it's imo outside the pain threshold for a local seller.

I hope that clears it up a bit.
biggerry

Postby Matt. K on Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:56 am

Someone care to enlighten me on why a piece of glass the size of a Tasmanian scollop cost around $150? :? :?
Regards

Matt. K
Matt. K
Former Outstanding Member Of The Year and KM

Postby sirhc55 on Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:15 am

Matt. K wrote:Someone care to enlighten me on why a piece of glass the size of a Tasmanian scollop cost around $150? :? :?

Have you seen the price of a Tasmanian scollop Matt? :cheers:
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby PiroStitch on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:23 am

Can someone enlighten me to the difference of a ND10 filter instead of stacking ND2, 6 or 8 filters?
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby Remorhaz on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:44 am

robert wrote:Gerry- not sure if just a throw away comment but it seems the B+W is actually more than the lee price you quoted- not so cheap or am i looking at the wrong thing?

I got my B+W ND3.0 from maxsaver.net for $83.50 when I bought it.

Matt. K wrote:Someone care to enlighten me on why a piece of glass the size of a Tasmanian scollop cost around $150?

Apparently with the really strong ND's you get a low yield (hard to make)? That said the price of the 100x100 and 150x100 Lee filters in general is reasonably high (>$100 per filter) so the BigStopper isn't a whole lot more than say getting one of their grads. The hard part is getting one - they are in high demand and on back order all the time - I've seen people offering to sell them on eBay and other places for like $300+

They cost more but the big advantage is their consistency (both individually and when stacked - see below). e.g. stack two or three Lee grads and you get no cast and a consistent result - ask Suren what happens if you stack some Cokins

NB: Matt it could be worse the Heliopan (105mm) CPL I bought to go in front of my Lee kit costs from about $350 - $500 depending on where you get it from :(

PiroStitch wrote:Can someone enlighten me to the difference of a ND10 filter instead of stacking ND2, 6 or 8 filters?

The main difference will be consistency of the ND and the cast - you "can" stack a bunch of ND's to get 10 stops but you'll get a few things happening - vignetting's a likely given but you also often get funky practically uncorrectable casts - you'd also need to use screw in ones so you don't get light leakage - when you're blocking 99.99% of the light any leakage is going to be very noticable.
Last edited by Remorhaz on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Postby biggerry on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:46 am

Matt. K wrote:Someone care to enlighten me on why a piece of glass the size of a Tasmanian scollop cost around $150? :? :?

ya seen the size of the lee slide in filters? lets see a scollop that size :)

PiroStitch wrote:Can someone enlighten me to the difference of a ND10 filter instead of stacking ND2, 6 or 8 filters?

same light blockage but definitely different quality of light, the more bits glass you stick in front the less the quality (contrast, colour and sharpness will all take a hit) not too mention the definite vignetting on WA lens
biggerry

Postby photohiker on Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:56 am

Don't worry Matt, it's 'just' $69 for the XPro 52mm: http://www.mainlinephoto.com.au/prod350.htm
photohiker

Postby PiroStitch on Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:31 am

Thanks. That gives me food for thought about whether to get a Cokin ZPro or stick with my current P series.

Colour cast doesn't worry me much as I do most of my work in black and white. Lost of contrast is a different matter though. I'm not going to be using any UWAs. The widest I have is either 20 or 24 on a FF SLR or a 50 on MF.
Hassy, Leica, Nikon, iPhone
Come follow the rabbit hole...
PiroStitch

Postby Mj on Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:20 pm

So I ended up spending way too much (IMHO) on a Lee setup, but after much consideration it was really the only option for me at the moment.
Longer term it provides a quality setup for stacking GNDs as well as a range of ND's including the BigStopper.
If I was just going to use a 10stop ND, especially for say architecture work, I would consider a screw-in like the b&w as it is much more convenient on it's own, but once you start looking at doing landscapes with stacked filters I think mixing screw-ins with other systems like the Lee becomes a pain. Like many things out there the price seems disproportioned to the product. Just think carefully whether you really need what it provides or it ends up gathering dust on the shelf. Many filters are redundant these days, ND's and CPL's are for the moment still required for some images, but there are vendors working on solutions that will also make these unnecessary.
Photography is not a crime, but perhaps my abuse of artistic license is?
Mj

Postby CraigVTR on Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:24 pm

Thank you gentlemen, a very timely thread. I recently found out my .6 Lee ND filter does not bounce when it is dropped on wet rocks. SO I have been thinking about weather to go the big stopper or the 10 stop ND.

One other thing about stacking filters is you have to really clean them all if you get a bit of splash from that incoming wave mid shoot. After I broke the .6 I stacked a CPL and a reverse grad for a sunrise and only noticed the water drops on the cpl when doing the pp back home, I only cleaned the grad after that splash. Too far to go back and reshoot this year so will have to get the clone brush going when I get the spare time.
Craig
Lifes journey is not to arrive at our grave in a well preserved body but, rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "Wow what a ride."
D70s, D300, 70-300ED, 18-70 Kit Lens, Nikkor 105 Micro. Manfrotto 190Prob Ball head. SB800 x 2.
CraigVTR

Postby Reschsmooth on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:28 am

I picked up a B+W 10 stop filter and, whilst having had a quick play on the D800 (using my old, beloved 17-35), I am very much looking forward to using it on the 4x5 - using FP4+ at ISO65, at the sweetspot of the lens at about f/22 and allowing for reciprocity, I can see myself getting daytime exposures of 30-60 minutes. Better pack a book (or some beers) next time I go out. :D
Regards, Patrick

Two or three lights, any lens on a light-tight box are sufficient for the realisation of the most convincing image. Man Ray 1935.
Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby biggerry on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:32 am

Reschsmooth wrote:I can see myself getting daytime exposures of 30-60 minutes. Better pack a book (or some beers) next time I go out. :D

faaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrkkkkkkk

thats not a bigstopper...thats a daystopper :rotfl2:
biggerry

Postby aim54x on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:45 am

biggerry wrote:
Reschsmooth wrote:I can see myself getting daytime exposures of 30-60 minutes. Better pack a book (or some beers) next time I go out. :D

Now that is exposure!
Cameron
aim54x

Postby Reschsmooth on Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:12 pm

biggerry wrote:

It's a black hole whose event horizon extends out well beyond the field of view!
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

Postby CraigVTR on Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:12 pm

Reschsmooth wrote: Better pack a book (or some beers) next time I go out. :D

You will also need a driver to get you home after those beers as I am sure you will need to have more than one composition.
Craig
Lifes journey is not to arrive at our grave in a well preserved body but, rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "Wow what a ride."
D70s, D300, 70-300ED, 18-70 Kit Lens, Nikkor 105 Micro. Manfrotto 190Prob Ball head. SB800 x 2.
CraigVTR

Postby Reschsmooth on Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:32 pm

CraigVTR wrote:
Reschsmooth wrote: Better pack a book (or some beers) next time I go out. :D

You will also need a driver to get you home after those beers as I am sure you will need to have more than one composition.

Indeed. That will be the time I remember to take the darkslide out after I finish the exposure. :biglaugh:
Regards, Patrick

Our mug is smug
Reschsmooth

cokin ND4 not enough

Postby rex on Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:08 am

hi guys..

any of you using cokin ND filter? i want to blur the motion (cars, people) but my ND4 is just not enough to slow the shutter. question do i have to buy another ND8 and stack the two together in the filter holder or ND8 is enough? will two stack filters in front of the lens make the image quality suffer? what's the highest ND in cokin anyway?

TIA
rex

Postby aim54x on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:41 am

I routinely stack ND4 and ND8 grads in the cokin P series. You needcould get some blurr with the stacked combination but you will have to experiment with the aperture to get a slow enough shutter speed. I virtually never stack anything in front of my full NDs so I opted for screw in
Cameron
aim54x

Postby Mj on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:24 am

Rex,

There is no real clear answer to your question as it depends on a number of factors including ambient light, aperture and iso ... but this table may help...

Filter Reduction Stops
ND2 1/2 1
ND4 1/4 2
ND8 1/8 3
ND16 1/16 4
ND32 1/32 5
ND64 1/64 6
ND128 1/128 7
ND256 1/256 8
ND512 1/512 9
ND1024 1/1024 10

So an ND8 will give you 3 stops reducing a shutter speed of 1/500 to 1/60.
Yes you can stack and yes it will impact quality... how much? best to try and see.
Need to slow down more? You can also stop down aperture and reduce iso.
Cokin filters have never been considered the best quality though I've used them in the past with no substantial problem. Stacking ND's only could well be fine.
Photography is not a crime, but perhaps my abuse of artistic license is?
Mj

Postby rex on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:25 am

thanks guys. off went to nearest camera shop and asked for cokin but he offered me a china made ND8 instead. that's the only brand they have and cokin would be pricey anyway. sigh i took the filter for hk$95 (aud 11). ND8 is just enough for the job and skipped the existing ND4.

carousel. = 13s f/22.0 ISO100 12mm

rex

Postby aim54x on Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:31 am

These look pretty good!

If I was in HK I would go visit our friends over at Phottix (PhotoKit - Sim City, Mong Kwok and PhotoKit - Windsor House, Causeway) they do a good range of cheap but decent quality accessories.
Cameron
aim54x

Postby biggerry on Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:55 pm

FYI, if you want a Lee filter (bigstopper), the turnaround time from teamwork is a week and 104 pounds delivered, not a bad deal at all i reckon.
biggerry

Postby surenj on Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:49 pm

biggerry wrote:FYI, if you want a Lee filter (bigstopper), the turnaround time from teamwork is a week and 104 pounds delivered, not a bad deal at all i reckon.

That's a very good deal. Teamwork are quite a good place to buy. I got my Hitech filters from them; they are good enough for non pro use.
surenj

Postby biggerry on Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:24 pm

surenj wrote:
biggerry wrote:FYI, if you want a Lee filter (bigstopper), the turnaround time from teamwork is a week and 104 pounds delivered, not a bad deal at all i reckon.

That's a very good deal. Teamwork are quite a good place to buy. I got my Hitech filters from them; they are good enough for non pro use.

international post is pretty awesome now, even by ship things are not that bad...
biggerry

Return to Equipment Reviews