Nikon Vs Zenitar Fisheyes

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Nikon Vs Zenitar Fisheyes

Postby Mr Darcy on Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:15 am

Cameron came up to play in god's own country today. Among other toys, he brought his newly acquired Zenitar 16mm f/2.8 Fisheye. So what to do? Put it up against my recently purchased Nikor 16 f/2.8D Fisheye of course.
More of a comparison than a review.The only processing was to remove the default processing that they all come in with. SO they are in effect SOOC. They all got my standard export processing though, hence the watermark.

Testing parameters:
D800 set to Aperture priority ISO 100 mounted on a Gitzo3541LS tripod. Aperture set as labelled.
Matrix metering , AutoWB
The Camera was set to AF-S Centre spot chosen for AF (on the watertank). This was only meaningful for the Nikkor as the Zenitar is a non-CPU lens. The Zenitar was manually focussed on the same point as the Nikkor used. The appropriate manual lens parameters were loaded in so the metering would work for the Zenitar.
Both lenses were as they came. Mine needed a clean. Cameron's had been rebuilt so that the mechanics worked as they SHOULD have when it came out of the factory. Apparently quality control is such that this is pretty much a normal requirement for Zenitar lenses. The optics are quite reasonable. Shame about the assembly.

Things we noticed. Both lenses were fairly poor but still useable at f/22. This is probably due to diffraction issues on the D800.
The Zenitar exposed consistently brighter than the Nikkor.
@f/2.8 the Nikkor had significantly more vignetting than the Zenitar, but the IQ was MUCH better on the Nikkor
@f/8 both lenses were quite good, but the Nikkor was noticeably better.
Despite both being "identical" lenses the Nikkor had a noticeably wider Field of view. Check out the bucket at the bottom of the frame.
We also tried using the Nikkor parameters in LR to defish the Zenitar and it over-compensated, so the Nikkor is the fishier of the two
And yes I really need to clean the sensor on the D800. :roll:

NB Click through on any image. I loaded them all at original resolution. (7360 x 4912 so beware!)
Zenitar 16mm@f/8

Nikon 16mm@f/8

Zenitar 16mm@f/2.8

Nikon 16mm@f/2.8

Zenitar 16mm@f/22

Nikon 16mm@f/22

Conclusions:
The Nikkor is clearly the better lens. But for the money, the Zenitar is almost certainly the better buy
I paid about AUD600 for the Nikkor, but it retails for about $1200 in Sydney.

Cameron paid about $200 for the Zenitar, but you would have to factor in the cost of the rework as well. Talk to Cam if you need to know the likely cost, but it is likely to vary on a case by case basis.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Re: Nikon Vs Zenitar Fisheyes

Postby aim54x on Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:31 pm

I suspected that this would have made an appearance up here. I am a sucker for Russian glass....not to mention my inability to afford/justify the Nikkor means I will have to be content with my Zenitar.

I have to admit that the Russian did better than I expected.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Postby Remorhaz on Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:33 pm

Is the Zenitar the same as the Rokinon/Bower/Samyang/...?

I've been thinking of waiting for the new version of their 8mm crop sensor fisheye with the detachable hood to come out (Sept apparently) and see if that rings my bell.
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Postby sirhc55 on Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:53 pm

Remorhaz wrote:Is the Zenitar the same as the Rokinon/Bower/Samyang/...?

I've been thinking of waiting for the new version of their 8mm crop sensor fisheye with the detachable hood to come out (Sept apparently) and see if that rings my bell.

I believe the answer is no . . . .
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby aim54x on Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:49 pm

sirhc55 wrote:
Remorhaz wrote:Is the Zenitar the same as the Rokinon/Bower/Samyang/...?

I believe the answer is no . . . .

Chris you are completely correct...the Samyang (and co) is a modern lens that is made in Korea, the Zenitar is an AI/AIS era lens design made in the former USSR.
Cameron
Nikon F/Nikon 1 | Hasselblad V/XPAN| Leica M/LTM |Sony α/FE/E/Maxxum/M42
Wishlist Nikkor 24/85 f/1.4| Fuji Natura Black
Scout-Images | Flickr | 365Project
aim54x

Return to Equipment Reviews