ColorChecker profiling

Tutorials, questions, demos, questionable images ,,,

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

ColorChecker profiling

Postby the foto fanatic on Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:43 pm

Playing around with camera setup in LR4. Photo taken in natural lighting, 1/30 sec @ f5.6; ISO 1600. D800 with Nikon 105mm Micro.

The same photo processed three different ways in Camera Calibration, everything else constant:

1. Camera Standard
2. Adobe Standard
3. ColorChecker Profile

Interesting. All the images are a little pinker than what I see with the naked eye, but the middle one is probably the closest to the actual colour.
The images also look different on the smugmug site.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Re: ColorChecker profiling

Postby CraigVTR on Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:48 pm

Interesting comparison. The centre image seems to work best from a colour and contrast perspective which makes it seem sharper.
Craig
Lifes journey is not to arrive at our grave in a well preserved body but, rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "Wow what a ride."
D70s, D300, 70-300ED, 18-70 Kit Lens, Nikkor 105 Micro. Manfrotto 190Prob Ball head. SB800 x 2.
CraigVTR

Postby Mr Darcy on Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:52 pm

CraigVTR wrote:Interesting comparison. The centre image seems to work best from a colour and contrast perspective which makes it seem sharper.
:agree:

How did you do the ColorChecker image? Was it from the same shoot or one you prepared earlier? I have found CCP to be an excellent aid in getting colour correct, but then I am colour blind. I tend to use it when I want accurate colour & prepare a new one for each shoot. I don't entirely trust the "made earlier" ones. Though I prefer them to my eyes. Also did you do a WB adjustment? I use the third square from top right and find it makes a world of difference. Also have you tried knocking back the saturation a little? It looks like it may help, though it would invalidate your test I guess.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby the foto fanatic on Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:40 am

Mr Darcy wrote: :agree:

How did you do the ColorChecker image? Was it from the same shoot or one you prepared earlier? I have found CCP to be an excellent aid in getting colour correct, but then I am colour blind. I tend to use it when I want accurate colour & prepare a new one for each shoot. I don't entirely trust the "made earlier" ones. Though I prefer them to my eyes. Also did you do a WB adjustment? I use the third square from top right and find it makes a world of difference. Also have you tried knocking back the saturation a little? It looks like it may help, though it would invalidate your test I guess.

The profile was made earlier in the same room using Passport. I hear what you say about that - one must assume that as the light changes so does the profile.

And yes, I used Passport to set WB as part of this shoot.

I only did limited PP because I wanted to compare the different settings available in LR4 Camera Calibration.
TFF (Trevor)
My History Blog: Your Brisbane: Past & Present
My Photo Blog: The Foto Fanatic
Nikon stuff!
the foto fanatic

Return to Post Processing