Printing From CaptureNX2 - Help

Tutorials, questions, demos, questionable images ,,,

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Printing From CaptureNX2 - Help

Postby CraigVTR on Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:08 pm

Hi guys
I usually print my photos from Photoshop but decided today to print direct from Capture as I am getting more familar with the program for all my editing needs.
Printing in Capture seems to be very similar to Photoshop with the dialoge box giving access to colour management etc, however, I cannot find any way to change the target printer. I have two printers connected to my Win7 system via usb, both are Epson a TX300 and a R2400 but capture only shows the TX300 and there appears to be no option to change the printer. Any ideas??

I just thought the TX300 is my default printer, is cx2 just a slack bit of programming that only gives the default printer???

Here is a screen capture I prepared earlier. Click to see a larger version.
Craig
Lifes journey is not to arrive at our grave in a well preserved body but, rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "Wow what a ride."
D70s, D300, 70-300ED, 18-70 Kit Lens, Nikkor 105 Micro. Manfrotto 190Prob Ball head. SB800 x 2.
CraigVTR

Re: Printing From CaptureNX2 - Help

Postby Mr Darcy on Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:58 pm

I no longer use CNX2, nor for that matter Windows,
but I checked, and on a Mac, CNX2 uses the only the default printer.
Oddly enough I can format the paper for another printer, but not actually choose it to print with.
And I had to shut down the program and restart it before it would recognise that I had changed the default printer.

I'm afraid this is yet another reason I won't be using this program again.

I you are getting addicted to the control point technology in CNX2, you might give some consideration to the NIK suite of plugins for LR/PS. The only real problem left is the fact that CNX2 modifies the RAW file. Neither PS nor LR recognise those changes.
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby chrisk on Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:44 pm

craig, i have the exact same issue with 2 printers and unfortunately you are right, you can only print to your default printer. PITA. terrible printing interface on cnx2. i use epson photo print for my printing.
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby CraigVTR on Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:37 am

Thanks guys. Very slack bit of program design.
Craig
Lifes journey is not to arrive at our grave in a well preserved body but, rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "Wow what a ride."
D70s, D300, 70-300ED, 18-70 Kit Lens, Nikkor 105 Micro. Manfrotto 190Prob Ball head. SB800 x 2.
CraigVTR

Postby digitor on Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:20 pm

That looks odd - on my NX2 Page Setup dialogue, there's three buttons - OK, Cancel and Printer. I can select either of the two printers I have.

What version of NX2 have you got?

Cheers
What's another word for "thesaurus"?
digitor

Postby CraigVTR on Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:56 pm

digitor wrote:That looks odd - on my NX2 Page Setup dialogue, there's three buttons - OK, Cancel and Printer. I can select either of the two printers I have.

What version of NX2 have you got?

Cheers

Strange. I have version 2.2.8. :?
Craig
CraigVTR

Postby digitor on Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:43 pm

I'm using 2.2.6, but the printing has always worked OK for me, even with the earlier versions. My photo printer is not the default, so every time I do a print (in a new session) I have to select it specifically.

Cheers
digitor

Postby chrisk on Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:53 pm

can u do a screen shot of that pls. i have the same interface as craig and i cant recall ever being able to select a printer so maybe we are missing something in the setup options or preferences somewhere.
chrisk

Postby Sylvia on Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:22 pm

When you press print, you will get another screen that will allow printer selection.
printing aside, it remains my number 1 processing tool, for more reasons than control points.
I love it, and I would say use it before anything else.
Set up some batch processing functions and you can edit in no time at all.
Simply Nikon. Simply brilliant. Can't wait for NX3
Nikons.
Nikkor's.
Sylvia

Postby chrisk on Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:47 pm

you are a goddam genius. works perfect !! thank you both very much ! :cheers:
chrisk

Postby Sylvia on Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:59 pm

Rooz wrote:you are a goddam genius. works perfect !! thank you both very much ! :cheers:

Genius,
No. But I have spent more than a few hours with nx2, on mac and PC. I also use PS and Aperture, but always find myself coming back to nx2.
I processed 40 of these in a maybe 5 mins tonight.

Nikons.
Nikkor's.
Sylvia

Postby biggerry on Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:05 pm

Sylvia wrote: But I have spent more than a few hours with nx2, on mac and PC. I also use PS and Aperture, but always find myself coming back to nx2.

out of interest and way off topic (sorry OP), how do you find CNX2 performance and what computer specs you on?
gerry's photography journey
No amount of processing will fix bad composition - trust me i have tried.
biggerry

Postby Sylvia on Wed Oct 12, 2011 10:25 pm

biggerry wrote:
Sylvia wrote: But I have spent more than a few hours with nx2, on mac and PC. I also use PS and Aperture, but always find myself coming back to nx2.

out of interest and way off topic (sorry OP), how do you find CNX2 performance and what computer specs you on?

Brilliant.
I shoot mainly raw. With some of the batching I do the files get to 80 MB no probs and it will run on a pretty basic laptop.
I just came back from 2 weeks away in WA shooting the Australasian Safari. All my field processing was done on either a Dell laptop or a MBP, neither hi spec machines.

Mind you I came home with 180GB of files still requiring sorting/processing. I might post a few some time.

One of the best features is Nik colour efx runs native. Take PS as an example,NIk runs as another app, slowing things down considerably in the processing dept.
I guarrantee if you spend a few mins to learn what it can do, PS etc are "almost" not required unless to want to watermark etc.
Its a serious piece of software in simple form, you just have to work out how to get the best out of it. If you shoot raw you get full camera control to adjust in camera exposure etc.
Nikons.
Nikkor's.
Sylvia

Postby digitor on Thu Oct 13, 2011 7:48 am

Rooz wrote:can u do a screen shot of that pls. i have the same interface as craig and i cant recall ever being able to select a printer so maybe we are missing something in the setup options or preferences somewhere.

Here it is:

No idea why this would be different from yours and Craig's. And as Sylvia says, when you press print you get the normal Windows printer selection dialogue box as well.

Cheers
digitor

Postby CraigVTR on Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:08 am

Rooz wrote:you are a goddam genius. works perfect !! thank you both very much ! :cheers:

:oops: :oops: :oops: How embarrasment, as Effy would say. :oops: :oops: :oops:
I was trying to set the printer before I hit the print button, because I could only see the default printer in the main print dialogue I though that was where my print would go. I know better now.

Sylvia wrote:When you press print, you will get another screen that will allow printer selection.
printing aside, it remains my number 1 processing tool, for more reasons than control points.
I love it, and I would say use it before anything else.
Set up some batch processing functions and you can edit in no time at all.
Simply Nikon. Simply brilliant. Can't wait for NX3

I am getting more familar with the program the more I use it and I find I can do all my pp with it. I will now be able to print as well. I have used the batch adjustments a few times and think they are great.

Thanks to everyone for your help.
ps I upgraded to 2.2.8 last week as it has only recently become available.
Craig
CraigVTR

Return to Post Processing