LR3 - Last chance

Tutorials, questions, demos, questionable images ,,,

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

LR3 - Last chance

Postby chrisk on Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:06 pm

ok, have tried LR a couple of times and never really got the hang of it nor did i particularly like it for whatever reason. a number of friends use it and swear by it so am about to give it one last try. i really want this to work mainly cos of the cataloguing capability and the ability for it to open and process LX3 raw files. i intend to continue using NX2 for most processing cos i'm used to it, i like it and the results i get are great. not saying i wont change my mind as i think andrew has done recently, but for now...i'll just stick to the basics.

so...to make sure i give this the best shot i can for it all to work, what are the best tips you all have for me to get the most out of it ? so far i have catalogued all of my photos and thats it.

so...a couple of very quick and easy questions...its imported them all to a catalogue right...so from here what do i do ? if i edit a photo in LR by opening it up from the catalogue does it edit the imported file or does it edit the original file in the original location ? if i want to print and save the edited file, do i just go to the original location and it will automatically save all of my edits there ?

this may be a long process so hope some people can help a PP hack... :cheers:
EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Re: LR3 - Last chance

Postby photohiker on Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:41 pm

LR is a non-destructive editor. If you make changes to an image, you have not changed the original in any way.

If you want to subsequently use the changed image outside of LR you need to familiarise yourself with how that might be done: either by exporting it or opting for the sidecar files and opening the changes in PhotoShop.

Hope that helps! Happy Easter :)
photohiker

Postby surenj on Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:51 pm

Rooz wrote:if i want to print and save the edited file, do i just go to the original location and it will automatically save all of my edits there ?

If you have goto the 'original' location, you are missing the point of LR. The whole point is that you put them into your HDD in a reasonably orderly manner and catalog it. After that, everything is done through LR. including printing, exporting to web, adding in collections etc...

Actually the only time you'd goto the original location is to backup the files. Make sure you back up the lightroom catalog file as well.
surenj

Postby Aussie Dave on Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:49 am

Rooz,
As has been previously mentioned, Lightroom is pretty much an all-in-one solution.
You can:
- import your photos from your CF/SD cards onto your HDD (via LR)
- add these into your catalogue (which will happen automatically if you import via LR)
- rate/flag/keyword your images to make searching easier
- post process your images
- export to Photoshop (or other external programs) for more advanced editing/PP work
You will be given the option to open a copy or work with the original when exporting to an external program.
If you choose to use a copy (which is highly advisable you do), the edited version will be added to your catalogue alongside the original.

All PP work done by Lightroom is non-destructive and basically LR just creates a metadata (sidecar) file listing everything you have "virtualy changed" in LR (eg. cropping, exposure, sharpening, White Balance, etc), then when you choose to export/print etc it makes all these virtual changes into reality and exports a copy to be saved as whatever file format you have chosen, or to send to your printer for printing....but the original file is NEVER touched and remains as it was.

Used in conjunction with Photoshop it is a wonderful tool for photographers to use to catalogue and PP their photos.

As with everything, it isn't perfect but it's a damn good program and whilst there are probably better cataloging apps around, it does what most photogs will need with the advantage of being able to conduct PP as well.

I'm sure if you have any specific questions, there will be many here who can offer valuable advice.

Cheers,
Dave
Dave
Nikon D7000 | 18-105 VR Lens | Nikon 50 1.8G | Sigma 70-300 APO II Super Macro | Tokina 11-16 AT-X | Nikon SB-800 | Lowepro Mini Trekker AWII
Photography = Compromise
Aussie Dave

Postby Chaase on Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:44 am

Rooz wrote:never really got the hang of it

Same here so I am doing this course in May http://www.leswalkling.com/courses/the-digital-lightroom I will let everyone know how it goes.
Cheers, Bruce
Canon Eos 5D MKII, 16-35mm f2.8L II USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 50mm f1.4 USM.
Edit photos OK.
http://bruceybaby66.smugmug.com/
Chaase

LR3 - Last chance

Postby Wink on Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:15 am

Rooz, I've got Scott Kelby's LR3 book if you'd like to borrow it?

It explains the entire program from setup to editing and exporting.
You'll find everything you need in it.
Adam.
MY PHOTOS
Allows Image Editing
Wink

Postby Remorhaz on Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:40 pm

Wink wrote:Rooz, I've got Scott Kelby's LR3 book if you'd like to borrow it?
It explains the entire program from setup to editing and exporting.
You'll find everything you need in it.

+1 for this

Matt Kloskowski (also from Kelby) has a training video for LR3 as well which is very detailed and easy to follow. There's also an even longer training video from Lynda.com (by Chris Orwig).

But I reckon Kelby's LR3 book is the easiest/quickest intro to most of Lightroom.
D600, D7000, Nikon/Sigma/Tamron Lenses, Nikon Flashes, Sirui/Manfrotto/Benro Sticks
Rodney - My Photo Blog
Want: Fast Wide (14|20|24)
Remorhaz

Postby chrisk on Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:31 pm

Thanks fOr the feedback guys. I may just take u up on that offer adam.
Will watch a few more tutorial vids and see how i go.

I still dont get this not eiting the file thing. Must get over that hurdle...
chrisk

Postby paulmac on Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:34 am

Hey Rooz
"Importing into Lightroom" just means that LR "knows about" the photo. You're not moving it or copying it anywhere.
(I currently let the Canon software do it's thing off the camera, then import into LR... however LR will do the lot AND do a backup to another HDD simultaneously)

And yes, you can edit away to your hearts content, and LR keeps ALL of the history, which you can undo and start again at anytime. Or create a "virtual copy" and process another way. Very cool.

Definitely give it a go. It's transformed my editing skills, as I happen to hate using Photoshop because it does my head in... (I must change my attitude on that one though!)

+1 for Scott Kelby's book too.
I've borrowed my copy from my local library for the time being, but I reckon I'll end up purchasing it too.
paulmac

Postby ATJ on Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:44 am

Aussie Dave wrote:All PP work done by Lightroom is non-destructive and basically LR just creates a metadata (sidecar) file listing everything you have "virtualy changed" in LR (eg. cropping, exposure, sharpening, White Balance, etc), then when you choose to export/print etc it makes all these virtual changes into reality and exports a copy to be saved as whatever file format you have chosen, or to send to your printer for printing....but the original file is NEVER touched and remains as it was.

Lightroom will only create a sidecar file if you explicitly tell it to. By default, all the changes are stored in the catalog and nothing extra is created on the hard disk. The only thing you need to back up are the original raw files and the catalog.
ATJ

Postby leek on Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:51 pm

I did give Lightroom a try a few months ago and unfortunately found it to be pretty clunky and hard to use. I sold it on after a couple of weeks.

I prefer using Bridge and Adobe Camera Raw which comes with Photoshop and provides much the same functionality - and it's FREE.
Cheers, John
Leek@Flickr | Leek@RedBubble | Leek@DeviantArt

D700; D200; Tokina 12-24; Nikkor 50mm f1.4,18-70mm,85mm f1.8, 105mm,80-400VR, SB-800s; G1227LVL; RRS BH-55; Feisol 1401
leek

Postby chrisk on Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:56 pm

leek wrote:I did give Lightroom a try a few months ago and unfortunately found it to be pretty clunky and hard to use. I sold it on after a couple of weeks.

I prefer using Bridge and Adobe Camera Raw which comes with Photoshop and provides much the same functionality - and it's FREE.

well free only if you have photoshop which i dont.

am also trialling elements ATM.
chrisk

Postby surenj on Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:12 pm

Despite it's popularity, it looks like you are keen on a different interface to LR. If you find a better programme please let us know about it!
surenj

Postby MATT on Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:22 pm

Another bonus with lightroom was , once I got over the whole MAC thing and went back to a PC. I simply copied all my files across pointed light room to the catalogues and all my edits on the MAC version were there. Simple.

I also did a CHristening for my cousin, she wanted images straight away. I pulled them into lightroom. Uploaded a few to facebook for her with the inbuilt tool.

Then once I was done I exported using the web output and put them up on line simply for her friends to look through.

I have no skills at all with website building, this just did it all with a simply layout.

Just My 2c

MATT
MATT

Return to Post Processing