Need more guidance - Melbourne Courses??

For the sombrero wearing DSLR users

Moderators: Greg B, Nnnnsic, Geoff, Glen, gstark, Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is. Please also check the portal page for more information on this.

Need more guidance - Melbourne Courses??

Postby lyndalg on Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:41 pm

Hi Guys,
I would like to know if anyone knows any great courses in Melbourne for me to improve my skills. I have pretty much "mastered" Auto ;I can, if given time, set up a manual shot - however would like to improve these skills.
Any advice, would be great appreciated.

Cheers, :D
lyndalg

Re: Need more guidance - Melbourne Courses??

Postby Marvin on Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:30 am

I don't know about courses but I find that getting together with other photographers, possibly people who have more experience that me, is a great way to learn. You shoot the same things and bounce what you are doing off of each other. There are usually forum meets happening, why don't you try to get to one of them. Or see if you can organise one yourself. Everyone is very friendly and there is a lot of knowledge here. You can just post and see if anyone is interested in getting together.

Otherwise, buy a couple of books and practice yourself. IMHO you will do a lot better going out and trying different things to see what works, what you like. Try to emulate photos that you like. If you are wanting to take pics of the baby, get a life size doll and try out some different lights, poses, lenses and see what is good for you.

Good luck!
Nikon D7000
Marvin

Re: Need more guidance - Melbourne Courses??

Postby Chaase on Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:58 am

lyndalg wrote:Hi Guys,
courses in Melbourne
Cheers, :D

Two years ago I did one at the local TAFE (Berwick) It was a short course run in the evenings and was run by a very experienced professional photographer.

All attendees found it excellent as it started from the basics (it's amazing how few basics I knew at the time). It included a Sunday workshop at Wilsons Botanical Park and another at night in the main street of Berwick for night photography.

It was also only a few hundred dollars (I think it ran 8 nights) and was a great starter for me. Maybe check with Swinburn/ RMIT etc what their offerings are closer to the city.
Cheers, Bruce
Canon Eos 5D MKII, 16-35mm f2.8L II USM, EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM, EF 50mm f1.4 USM.
Edit photos OK.
http://bruceybaby66.smugmug.com/
Chaase

Return to Melbourne