Citiwide online - any experience?

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Citiwide online - any experience?

Postby surenj on Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:13 pm

This Hong kong based store seems to be offering insane prices with a 18 month door-to-door warranty. [They pay for shipping charges if it's proven to be a real defect]

For example, they have the canon 100 2.8 for $650!
http://www.citiwideonline.com/au/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&category_id=98&product_id=635&Itemid=1&vmcchk=1&Itemid=1
If the warranty is real, this is a very good deal.

Here is more info on the warranty.
http://www.citiwideonline.com/au/index.php?option=com_content&task=section&id=11&Itemid=55

Does anyone have any experience with them? and especially with their warranty?
surenj

Re: Citiwide online - any experience?

Postby Wink on Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:08 pm

I brought a 10-22mm USM and 50mm f/1.8 II from them. Price was the cheapest i had seen.
Delivery was reasonably quick, and there's DHL tracking so you can check on the item all along the way.
They're not the cheapest for everything though. Some items are well priced and others aren't.

I see the same lens is $695 in the Bargains Section here. Since that price includes postage i'd think buying it through the forum will end up cheaper. It cost me $86 in postage for the items i listed above.
Adam.
MY PHOTOS
Allows Image Editing
Wink

Postby zafra52 on Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:59 pm

I cannot comment on Citywide, but I have bought from Poon's now a few items and I am happy with the service, products and secured with the knowledge they know dSLRUsers and they will try their best to keep up happy. Besides, I understand they suppor this website also. So for me, saving $10-30 (on a $600 - $1000 purchase) by buying from an unknown source is not worth contemplating.
zafra52

Postby surenj on Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:49 pm

Thanks Zafra and Wink,

DOH! I should have checked the forum pricing first!! Some of the prices are not up-to-date as you may find out. I guess I was tempted by this warranty business which 'almost' sounds like a bit of a scam. They don't have an office here so it would be quite difficult to complain to anyone.

[not that lenses are expected to have too many warranty problems. This would apply to bodies a little more however]
surenj

Postby Wink on Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:44 pm

How'd you go with the lens?

I brought a 580EX II off them lastnight. Hopefully this transaction goes as smooth as the first one i listed above.
Adam.
MY PHOTOS
Allows Image Editing
Wink

Postby surenj on Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:07 pm

Wink, I didn't buy from them.

D D electronics singapore (=DD photographics north sydney) had it for even cheaper. Their warranty is with DD photographics should I have a problem. At least I don't need to ship the lens to a place far far away if the worst happens.
surenj

Postby Wink on Mon Dec 14, 2009 8:44 pm

Flash arrived today. Postage was $30.
I've got nothing to complain about. :D
Adam.
MY PHOTOS
Allows Image Editing
Wink

Postby kobeson on Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:51 am

Anybody had to use their door to door warranty service? I heard one person say they did and they didn't honour it.

Prices look right though, just difficult to know which store to use.
Canon EOS 550D (gripped) | Canon 18-55 f3.5/5.6 | Canon 55-250 f4-5.6 | Canon 50mm f1.8 II | Raynox DCR-250
kobeson

Postby surenj on Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:27 pm

kobeson wrote:I heard one person say they did and they didn't honour it.

I am not surprised... :roll:

kobeson wrote:Prices look right though, just difficult to know which store to use.

Watch out for expensive postage. I think this place charges up to $60. You have to balance out the risk of a warranty claim.
surenj

Postby kobeson on Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:42 pm

Yeah, they seem to vary quite a bit for postage between a few of them.

The warranty does sound like a sales pitch though.
Canon EOS 550D (gripped) | Canon 18-55 f3.5/5.6 | Canon 55-250 f4-5.6 | Canon 50mm f1.8 II | Raynox DCR-250
kobeson

Return to Trader Opinions