They have to be joking!

Had a good experience with a trader? Please share that with us. While primarily we're interested in such things as on-line trading and off-shore purchases, anything good is more than welcome.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

They have to be joking!

Postby sirhc55 on Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:54 pm

Check out this link.

Dick Smith Electronics selling the Nikon D70 with 28-100mm lens (not even the kit lens) for $1989.00 - they must be joking!!!

http://dseau.resultspage.com/search.php?sessionid=41f0b4e408dc7194273fc0a87f9c077a&w=Nikon+D70&I1.x=10&I1.y=10&site=

Chris
Chris
--------------------------------
I started my life with nothing and I’ve still got most of it left
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby birddog114 on Fri Jan 21, 2005 6:59 pm

Nikon 28-100G is AU$130.00, who's going to use it? perhaps some "gung ho" newbies :lol: :lol: :lol:
Birddog114
VNAF, My Beloved Country and Airspace
birddog114

Postby fozzie on Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:04 pm

One word to describe them, WANKERS.

So how many will they sell :?: .

Cheerio,
fozzie

When people ask what equipment I use - I tell them my eyes.
fozzie
Key Member

Postby birddog114 on Fri Jan 21, 2005 7:08 pm

fozzie wrote:One word to describe them, WANKERS.

Cheerio,

Heap! cos newbies don't know what's the 28-100 can give them and the skills of the salesmen with lure them to the heaven :lol:
listened to these words today from a salesguy in Domayne Auburn:
"18-70 kit lens is too short and not cover the distance if you want to photo the Harbour Bridge from Opera House, the 28-100 will reach it easy"
:shock: :shock: :shock:
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Marvin on Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:03 pm

I am CONSTANTLY amazed by the number of people who will just walk into a store and buy any old digital camera without any sort of research. They just ask the people behind the counter who usually don't have any idea what they are talking about. I am always helping people research and choose the right piece of technology for them (camera, computer, mp3 player, dvd burner, etc, etc, etc). I should go into business!!!
Marvin

Postby sirhc55 on Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:10 pm

Back in the 70’s I was the Hi Fi Sales Manager for Dick Smith and it was my job to hire staff and in doing so I made damn sure that they were knowledgable.

When I first came to Australia I worked for John Border Photographics and the same there. We all knew what we were talking about and when you are paid $64 a week you do it for love and not the money

Chris
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby Grev on Wed Feb 09, 2005 4:55 pm

Birddog114 wrote:
fozzie wrote:One word to describe them, WANKERS.

Cheerio,

Heap! cos newbies don't know what's the 28-100 can give them and the skills of the salesmen with lure them to the heaven :lol:
listened to these words today from a salesguy in Domayne Auburn:
"18-70 kit lens is too short and not cover the distance if you want to photo the Harbour Bridge from Opera House, the 28-100 will reach it easy"
:shock: :shock: :shock:

GOLD! pwn7!
Grev

Postby lukeo on Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:10 pm

Hmm buy this or birddogs current deal with the 24 -120 VR which isn't even in the same league quality wise for almost exactly the same price. I am also betting you don't get a UV , Circ Polariser or 1GB of sandisk Ultra II... got to love old DSE.

I almost died when i saw my aunt (who is a marine biologist but not a photographer) with a genreic 28 - 100 on her Nikon F5. I subtely pointed out what a piece of ... it was and suggested several alerternative higher quality lense's for that fantastic camera. She quickly saw my point of view after a couple of rolls of fuji velvia slide film, and now has a nice collection of lense's you can be proud of, needless to say the 28-100 is not part of that collection.

So basically you are buying a body for $2k ... :?
Last edited by lukeo on Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lukeo

Postby birddog114 on Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:12 pm

yraen69 wrote:Hmm buy this or birddogs current deal with the 24 -120 VR which isn't even in the same league quality wise for almost exactly the same price. I am also betting you don't get a UV , Circ Polariser or 1GB of sandisk Ultra II... got to love old DSE.

I almost died when i saw my aunt (who is a marine biologist but not a phorographer) with a genreic 28 - 100 on her Nikon F5. I subtely pointed out what a piece of ... it was and suggested several alerternative higher quality lense's for that fantastic camera. She quickly saw my point of view after a couple of roll of fuji velvia slide film, and now has a nice collection of lense's you can be proud of needless to say the 28-100 is not part of that collection.

So basically you are buying a body for $2k ... :?

Yes, I know but she perhaps has the 28-200 ED which I also have, not the newer version of G cheapie!
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby bago100 on Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:31 pm

I just have to say it - I hope this does not offend anyone, for it is not directed an any specific post or person, just as general comment.

We are all very lucky you have such a generous, knowledgeable and talented patron in Birdie. We are spoilt by his enthusiasm, service and prices, and may we continue to be spoilt as well! :D

However, I just hate it though when consumers bag retailers (and travel agents in a separate thread - for different reasons though) just because retailers advertise and hopefully, sell their services and products for a higher price than cost price.

Perhaps a few of us might like to reflect on the business reality of any retailer today. They have costs - huge costs, (premises, rent, accounting services, legal services, staff, vehicle, shrinkage and on and on) that they have to cover all of that and then they have to try to make a profit to earn a percentage return on their investment. The only way a retailer can do this is to sell their products for a greater price than cost price.

Now sure, as a consumer, shop around, do your research and buy from whomever you choose, but remember, there are many consumers out there who, for one reason or another, choose to purchase products and pay the advertised asking price; And funnily enough, these people are probably delighted with their purchase, just as we are with ours.

But please, how about we recognise that retailers (and travel agents), just might have a legitimate role in our society and they might also be entitled to advertise and promote their products and services legally without some of the dispersive comment that I have seen in a few different threads that have appeared here over the past few months.

Members of the D70 forum do come from all walks of life and from all occupations. That's one of the terrific things about this forum. It is very easy to make comment without thinking especially when one has a keyboard in from of them, but before doing so, how about thinking a little bit and walking a little way in the shoes of those of whom we seek to comment on.

Sure, if you get poor service then yell out loud by all means but that does not mean that all retailers are tarred with the same brush. On the other hand, if you get good service, yell out loud also. Consumers generally support good retailers, even if a good retailer is more expensive than its competitors.

In the meantime, how about a fair go for retailers and their staff?

That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it :D

Cheers

Graham
bago100

Postby petal666 on Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:27 pm

Totally agree, a lot of people here are starting to look down their noses at people who didn't get their gear as cheap as they did. Not everybody cares what they pay for their gear, I do, but others don't give a rats.

DSE is there to make money, people pay their prices, so why should they sell cheaper?
Canon 1D III
petal666

Postby sirhc55 on Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:08 pm

The original point of this post was not to look down on DSE (I was a manager with them for 6 years) it was more to point out that for the price they were asking they were offering the D70 not with the normal kit lens but one that is looked upon as being inferior.

European Cameras in Rozelle were offering the D70 with kit lens for less than DSE.

Ipso facto - camera store got it right - multinational got it wrong 8)
Chris
sirhc55
Key Member

Postby gstark on Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:00 am

Graham,

bago100 wrote:However, I just hate it though when consumers bag retailers (and travel agents in a separate thread - for different reasons though) just because retailers advertise and hopefully, sell their services and products for a higher price than cost price.

As an individual who'll regularly bag anyone and everyone, I think I need to point out a couple of things here.

First of all, I can only speak for myself.

I will certainly laugh at the prices that retailers set, but is that actually bagging them? I have certainly been most critical of maxwell's pricing policies, but I challenge you to tell me that their policies even approach reasonable.

And I will certainly bag retaillers, travel agents, and just about anyone else who has the gall to charge me for a service, but finds themselves incapable of even approaching the provision of that service.

That covers camera salespeople who know as much about photography and cameras as I do about constructing a nuclear bomb, and travel agents who care for nothing beyond their commission cheque at the end of the month.

I work somewhat hard for my money, and as a paying customer (of any organisation) I expecyt and deserve respect; I refuse to accept second best and I challenge anyone to tell me why now would be a good time for me to lower my standards.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby Catcha on Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:52 am

Hey i was looking at that ad as well, but after many hours of reading this forum, i have seen the light and decided to take another path in purchasing my D70 when funds permit :D

Thank god harvey norman needed me to refill a reference check form, or else i would be spewing after all the deals I see people and members can get them for.
Catcha

Location: Darwin, Northern Territory Was the only true open speed limts in Australia

Postby Nnnnsic on Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:05 am

Whoa... thread revival. :)
Producer & Editor @ GadgetGuy.com.au
Contributor for fine magazines such as PC Authority and Popular Science.
Nnnnsic
I'm a jazz singer... so I know what I'm doing

Postby Catcha on Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:36 am

Nnnnsic wrote:Whoa... thread revival. :)

Though it would be good to add my 2c worth :D
Catcha

Location: Darwin, Northern Territory Was the only true open speed limts in Australia

Postby birddog114 on Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:29 am

Catcha wrote:Hey i was looking at that ad as well, but after many hours of reading this forum, i have seen the light and decided to take another path in purchasing my D70 when funds permit :D

Thank god harvey norman needed me to refill a reference check form, or else i would be spewing after all the deals I see people and members can get them for.

Catcha,
Get into this hobby, there's a long winding road ahead with some lights, some darkness, boobytraps, lust, happiness same as sadness, so please well prepare yourself.
Birddog114
birddog114

Postby Catcha on Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:21 pm

Birddog114 wrote:
Catcha wrote:Hey i was looking at that ad as well, but after many hours of reading this forum, i have seen the light and decided to take another path in purchasing my D70 when funds permit :D

Catcha,
Get into this hobby, there's a long winding road ahead with some lights, some darkness, boobytraps, lust, happiness same as sadness, so please well prepare yourself.

Yeah i did photography in year 12 and the fun of developing and stuff really got me interested..but it's only now that digitals have become affordable to me and well intead of using proper film to learn and improve, digital is the way to go ..
Catcha

Postby kipper on Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:24 pm

Actually I posted about this in my thread I made about my search for a cheap D70 when I was buying. In my thread I mentioned going to DSE where they had the 28-100 and I asked the salesman if they sold it with the 18-70mm Kit Lens as I prefered this lens. He says "You do realise you can remove the lens". I felt like saying "Duh, otherwise I wouldn't be asking for a different lens", but instead I just thanked him and walked out.
kipper

Return to Trader Opinions