Golden Eagle Lighting Kit - Poon

Had a play with something interesting? Got something that we all covet? Found a real lemon? Write a few lines about it, and share your experiences.

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please ensure that you have a meaningful location included in your profile. Please refer to the FAQ for details of what "meaningful" is.

Golden Eagle Lighting Kit - Poon

Postby surenj on Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:02 pm

Does any one of you have the above lighting kit? I am keen to acquire one but wasn't sure about some of the detail...

How tall are the lighting stands? 2m or 3m?
How long do the globes last? When they do go off, can you buy the replacement in the local shops?
Do the optical sensors work even with the softbox in place?
Does anyone know where there are more photos of this kit? Maybe at poons website which I haven't been able to find...
and Finally, Is it possible to have a look at one of these lights,stand,softbox setup to check whether it suits me in-terms of weight etc..

Thanks for all your replies.
surenj

Re: Golden Eagle Lighting Kit - Poon

Postby chrisk on Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:03 pm

EM1 l 7.5 l 12-40 l 14 l 17 l 25 l 45 l 60 l 75 l AW1 l V3
chrisk

Postby surenj on Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:23 am

Thanks for that Rooz, I was hoping to see some closeups and find out how tall the lighting stands go up to... Also there is a problem with the globes used in these. I wonder whether you can buy them in Australia?
surenj

Postby team piggy on Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:18 pm

I think Gary Said in an earlier post that he had spare bulbs for them?
D3 | D700 | D300 x 2 | D200 X 2| D70s| 300 2.8VR| 70-200, 2.8VR| 28-70, 2.8|24-70 2.8 | 14-24 2.8 | 50-500| 50, 1.4| 18-200VR| 10.5 Fishy | Batt Grips| SB800 x2 | SB900 |Pocketwizards | Manfrotto's blah blah.
team piggy

Postby surenj on Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:03 pm

team piggy wrote:I think Gary Said in an earlier post that he had spare bulbs for them?

Don't want to be asking Gary for replacement bulbs for the lifetime of the kit though..
surenj

Postby surenj on Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:40 am

i have found a photo of the light that is used in the LINK DELIGHT (ebay seller) who has a similar kit for a similar price here.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/360W-Pro-Studio-Flash-Strobe-Light-Kit-Camera-photo-D3A_W0QQitemZ130241094061QQihZ003QQcategoryZ30088QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

surenj

Postby MATT on Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:11 pm

surenj wrote:
team piggy wrote:I think Gary Said in an earlier post that he had spare bulbs for them?

Don't want to be asking Gary for replacement bulbs for the lifetime of the kit though..

I ordered my kit and Zoe has said it will head off on Monday, I can take an image of the lamp once it arrives if that helps..

MATT
MATT

Postby CraigVTR on Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:16 pm

surenj wrote:i have found a photo of the light that is used in the LINK DELIGHT (ebay seller) who has a similar kit for a similar price here.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/360W-Pro-Studio-Flash-Strobe-Light-Kit-Camera-photo-D3A_W0QQitemZ130241094061QQihZ003QQcategoryZ30088QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

The globes shown are exactly the globes supplies with the kit, my investigation has found that they are not supplied in Australia. However, I did only try out retailers on the Sunshine Coast, a big city retailer may have have access to what is required.
Craig
Lifes journey is not to arrive at our grave in a well preserved body but, rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "Wow what a ride."
D70s, D300, 70-300ED, 18-70 Kit Lens, Nikkor 105 Micro. Manfrotto 190Prob Ball head. SB800 x 2.
CraigVTR

Postby surenj on Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:31 am

Thanks for your quick reply Craig. I will enquire with the suppliers in my area. In my mind, it would be more convenient to have a source for these globes when they eventually blow. Otherwise I am really interested in getting these lights....
surenj

Postby surenj on Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:47 am

Thanks for your quick reply Craig. I will enquire with the suppliers in my area. In my mind, it would be more convenient to have a source for these globes when they eventually blow. Otherwise I am really interested in getting these lights either from Poon or LINK DELIGHT....

When you test them out, Could you let me know whether the slave flash function works while you have the softbox on? MY initial plan was to use a softbox and my 430 EX fired with the ebay wizards on site> Just wanted to find out whether this works or not..
surenj

Postby CraigVTR on Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:25 am

Surenj
I have not used my lighting kit for a while but I am sure it will fire when using an sb800 in the hot shoe. I will get it out and give it a try later in the week when I get myself out from under this mountain of work. :D
Craig
Lifes journey is not to arrive at our grave in a well preserved body but, rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "Wow what a ride."
D70s, D300, 70-300ED, 18-70 Kit Lens, Nikkor 105 Micro. Manfrotto 190Prob Ball head. SB800 x 2.
CraigVTR

Postby MATT on Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:30 pm

Craig, could you look on your lighting kit and see what voltage they are printed on the back of the strobe please?

Mine arrived today and everything has 110V , but poon has supplied universal adapters that will allow me to plug into the 240V.

Now being an electrician I am skeptical about feeding 240V into a system that is marked 110V. But I thought I read somewhere they are rated from 110-240V . My lamps dont have any markings to say 240V or 110V.

Any Help??I'm heading out tonight and hope to play tomorrow.

MATT
MATT

Postby CraigVTR on Sat Aug 09, 2008 2:24 pm

Matt

My strobes are marked 220v50Hz. Hope this helps, sorry about the late reply I do not seem to get emails about this thread even though the option to be notified is ticked. Strange. :?
Craig
CraigVTR

Postby CraigVTR on Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:14 pm

surenj wrote: I was hoping to see some closeups and find out how tall the lighting stands go up to

The light stands extend up to about 2100mm

surenj wrote: When you test them out, Could you let me know whether the slave flash function works while you have the softbox on? MY initial plan was to use a softbox and my 430 EX fired with the ebay wizards on site> Just wanted to find out whether this works or not..

I tested them today by firing an sb800 in the camera hotshoe and with a softbox mounted on the strobe. The strobe fired ok.

Hope this helps.
Craig
CraigVTR

Postby surenj on Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:49 pm

Thanks for your replies Craig, Much appreciated. I am tending towards buying one of these with some extra bulbs thrown-in so that I don't have to hunting for these...

Suren
surenj

Postby surenj on Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:54 pm

surenj

Postby surenj on Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:01 pm

surenj

Postby Mr Darcy on Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:19 pm

Try this bulb supplier. Seems ot be (almost) exactly the same. Only it is 75W not 50W
http://micaunited.cart.net.au/details/2204497.html
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby surenj on Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:45 pm

Thanks Mr Darcy. I wonder whether it will make much of a difference whether it's 50W or 75W?? I think we are getting closer to finding the right bulb!
Suren
surenj

Postby CraigVTR on Sun Aug 10, 2008 9:18 am

surenj wrote:Long shot but...
http://www.fslighting.com/catajcd.htm

The globes on this page match the supplied globes almost exactly. The only difference I can see is the globes I have are about 2mm shorter in overall length, which would not be a problem. I noted they are a Chinese supplier so this may be where Poon's lighting supplier gets his globes.
Craig
CraigVTR

Postby MATT on Sun Aug 10, 2008 11:03 am

CraigVTR wrote:Matt

My strobes are marked 220v50Hz. Hope this helps, sorry about the late reply I do not seem to get emails about this thread even though the option to be notified is ticked. Strange. :?

Thanks craig.. Mine are marked 110V..60HZ. The Golden eagle Website rates the model number of mine as 170-240V and it has a fuse that says use only 240V fuses only.. I may just give one a try and see what happens..

MATT
MATT

Postby Mj on Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:06 pm

Has anyone actually done a review on this kit and demonstrated its capabilities and limits?
Had a quick search and not found any. We have a few owning it now... what do we all think?

Michael.
Photography is not a crime, but perhaps my abuse of artistic license is?
Mj

Postby MATT on Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:57 am

Mr Darcy wrote:Try this bulb supplier. Seems ot be (almost) exactly the same. Only it is 75W not 50W
http://micaunited.cart.net.au/details/2204497.html

I have contacted the supplier and they have limited stocks of the 50w so have taken it off the web site . They are expecting another shipment. Thanks for the link Mr Darcy.

Now that I have a "Set" I have been looking into this a little. From my observations the 50w halogen lamp is simply the modeling lamp. So you could substitute it for larger or small wattage, within reason.The "Strobe/Flash part is the larger ring around the out side. Finding a replacement for this may be more of a problem however as it seems to be built into the fitting.

So effectively if th 5 0w bulb blows there should be no reason that the flash/strobe part does not still operate. Unless of course it is some type of series connection with the flash.

MATT
MATT

Postby Mr Darcy on Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:14 am

From my observations the 50w halogen lamp is simply the modeling lamp. So you could substitute it for larger or small wattage, within reason.

Not having the kit myself, I can see two issues with changing the wattage.
1. It is brighter. That will muck up the modelling of the light as it will be dominating the others in the set.
2. It will run hotter. This may destroy fittings, wiring over time. This will depend on the quality/heat sensitivity of the fittings.
3. It may overload circuitry driving it. Should not be an issue if it is simply wired into the mains, but if it dims, the dimming circuit may be overloaded.
4. DId I say I belong to the Douglas Adams' School of Counting? :roll:
Greg
It's easy to be good... when there is nothing else to do
Mr Darcy

Postby MATT on Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:41 am

Mr Darcy wrote:Not having the kit myself, I can see two issues with changing the wattage.
1. It is brighter. That will muck up the modelling of the light as it will be dominating the others in the set.
2. It will run hotter. This may destroy fittings, wiring over time. This will depend on the quality/heat sensitivity of the fittings.
3. It may overload circuitry driving it. Should not be an issue if it is simply wired into the mains, but if it dims, the dimming circuit may be overloaded.
4. DId I say I belong to the Douglas Adams' School of Counting? :roll:

Yep I have to agree with those comments, It does not look as though the lamp is dimmable, only the flash controllable, with the 50w lamp connected directly across the mains.Heat would be my main concern.

MATT
MATT

Postby CraigVTR on Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:22 pm

MATT wrote:Now that I have a "Set" I have been looking into this a little. From my observations the 50w halogen lamp is simply the modeling lamp. ............The "Strobe/Flash part is the larger ring around the out side. .........................So effectively if th 5 0w bulb blows there should be no reason that the flash/strobe part does not still operate. Unless of course it is some type of series connection with the flash. MATT

I discovered this point on the weekend when playing with my lights. Learn something new every day.The strobe still works without there being a bulb present for the modelling light.

Mj wrote:Has anyone actually done a review on this kit and demonstrated its capabilities and limits?
Had a quick search and not found any. We have a few owning it now... what do we all think? Michael.

I have not yet used the three lights together for any type of shoot so am somewhat limited in what I can say about them.
Craig
CraigVTR

Postby gstark on Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:56 pm

CraigVTR wrote:
Mj wrote:Has anyone actually done a review on this kit and demonstrated its capabilities and limits?
Had a quick search and not found any. We have a few owning it now... what do we all think? Michael.

I have not yet used the three lights together for any type of shoot so am somewhat limited in what I can say about them.

We actually put a set into use at Leon's (Sheepie's) earlier this year. I think he has the Golden Eagles. Certainly they were well up to the task, and produced very good light for us.

We need to organise another day like that, and especially now that I have a beauty dish. (doesn't work on me, though. :) )
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby MATT on Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:20 pm

The stands, umbrellas and softboxes seem like a good size for the price. A simple sand bag or 2 for the base is advisable. The whole kit comes in a very good sized ag that would be easy to take with you if required.

MATT
MATT

Postby surenj on Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:22 am

Does anyone know how a 50W bulb can model a 180W flash? Or is it only to check out the shadows?
surenj

Postby MATT on Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:28 am

surenj wrote:Does anyone know how a 50W bulb can model a 180W flash? Or is it only to check out the shadows?

Since I ordered mine I've been checking out online video ect .. Most stuff say that the modeling light is to see how the shadows will fall.

A little update :- Mine appear to be the wrong voltage.I am returning just he strobes, but Poon does not have the correct voltage ones in stock so will take 1-2weeks for them to get some more from the supplier.

regards
MATT
MATT

Postby surenj on Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:36 am

Thankx Matt... I suppose I will have to wait longer than anticipated until my goods arrive... You can still use the umbrellas if you have an umbrella flash adaptor...
surenj

Postby MATT on Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:01 pm

surenj wrote:Thankx Matt... I suppose I will have to wait longer than anticipated until my goods arrive... You can still use the umbrellas if you have an umbrella flash adaptor...

I actually electrical taped my sb 800 adn played with the umbrella.. Thinking maybe should have got another sb-800 and a set of stands-adapters and umbrellas.. Oh well. Cant wait till they arrive.

MATT
MATT

Postby surenj on Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:05 pm

Yeah I think I will use it with my 430EX the most..esp on location. It would be too heavy lug around those strobes.
surenj

Postby MATT on Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:31 am

surenj wrote:Yeah I think I will use it with my 430EX the most..esp on location. It would be too heavy lug around those strobes.

If you had access to power on location it aint heavy the whole kit only weights 6KG. It all comes in a nice little kit bag..

MATT
MATT

Postby gstark on Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:12 am

MATT wrote: Thinking maybe should have got another sb-800 and a set of stands-adapters and umbrellas.. Oh well. Cant wait till they arrive.

When you look at the cost (bought separately) of stands and brollies and shapers etc, the cost of the lighting kits from Poon (either of them) effectively mean that you can but the stands etc, and you get the heads for free.
g.
Gary Stark
Nikon, Canon, Bronica .... stuff
The people who want English to be the official language of the United States are uncomfortable with their leaders being fluent in it - US Pres. Bartlet
gstark
Site Admin

Postby surenj on Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:30 pm

Can't wait for mine to arrive..
surenj

Postby soarer on Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:31 pm

Hey Gary,
Have the prices just gone up on the Golden Eagle kit? I swear couple of weeks ago when i looked, they were $477 now they are $571... bugger, was just going to scrape in to get them at $477 but now definitely wont be able to at $571....
Olympus E-3, 14-54mm f2.8
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lamt
soarer

Postby scott s on Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:30 pm

everywhere i look things have gone up by about that much in the last week. something i bought last week for 475 is now 579ish.....
D300, 80-200 F2.8, 50mm F1.4, 18-70 kit, Sigma 14mm F3.5
scott s

Postby muzz on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:30 am

Hi,

I may be weighing in a little late but I'm only new to the forum today. I was also looking at a beginner's lighting kit and was surprised to read on one of the ebay store's FAQs (Link Delight actually) that globes cannot be replaced in their units.

Anyway, there are some globes here which seem to be similar to some of these other's mentioned in this post, including a 50W modelling lamp as well as a 180W flash tube:

http://www.studiolightingstore.com.au/s ... ables.html

Hope this helps.

Cheers, Muzz
Canon 7D | Canon 350D | G5 | S95 | 24-70mm f2.8L | 50mm f1.8 II | 70-200mm f2.8L USM | 430EX II | Strobist gear
muzz

Return to Equipment Reviews